UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC: We've lost 'millions and millions' to piracy

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
2/17/14 11:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC made headlines last night when a story broke that they shut down and sued a website offering pirated UFC content. Today a representative for the promotion gave more detail on their effort:

Individuals who settle sign a confidentiality agreement, said Lonstein, who declined to disclose figures on the typical dollar amount paid to the UFC. A recent report cited one unanswered lawsuit from a previous website target, Greenfeedz.com, that netted the promotion $11,948.70 in damages and legal fees.

Lonstein said pirates are sued on the basis of copyright law and the Communications Act of 1934, which regulates communications commerce domestically and abroad, but declined to go into further specifics about the UFC’s legal approach to curbing piracy.

She would not say how much money had been recovered as the result of the legal actions, but said the figure over the past year is “a fraction compared to what the UFC has lost with piracy.” UFC chief legal officer Kirk Hendrick said the promotion’s losses are “millions and millions” of dollars yearly.

“There’s no shortage, unfortunately, of people who will try to take a shortcut,” Hendrick said. “We have an obligation to our customers and those athletes to continue to pursue the people who don’t want to pay for the goods and services they receive.”

read entire article....

2/17/14 11:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EckY
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
2/17/14 11:07 PM
UltraViolentRay
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love the assumption that everyone would be paying customers if they couldn't have gotten it for free.

i think they should assume that 0% of the people who "stole" it would have paid for it.
2/17/14 11:07 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if they have lost millions, it is from paying lawyers to fight this in court. People who are streaming would not be watching otherwise. If anything, it keeps them interested in the sport, and keeps them on board for potential future revenue streams.

Pirated streams are of the shittiest quality. Anybody willing to watch that shit, is absolutely not willing or able to spend $55 on a ppv. Their alternative is not watching at all.
2/17/14 11:10 PM
I Wild Each It
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"She would not say how much money had been recovered as the result of the legal actions, but said the figure over the past year is “a fraction compared to what the UFC has lost with piracy.” - - - Makes sense. Sue to recover 10k-20k and piss off fans in the process, instead of adapting to today's current technology.

“There’s no shortage, unfortunately, of people who will try to take a shortcut,” - - - EXACTLY. This is a fight Zuffa cannot and will not win.
2/17/14 11:14 PM
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 11:16 PM
vaginal tear
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You've made millions and millions off shitty cards. I call it even. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 11:17 PM
Morpheus1976

ufc98newb - if they have lost millions, it is from paying lawyers to fight this in court. People who are streaming would not be watching otherwise. If anything, it keeps them interested in the sport, and keeps them on board for potential future revenue streams.

Pirated streams are of the shittiest quality. Anybody willing to watch that shit, is absolutely not willing or able to spend $55 on a ppv. Their alternative is not watching at all.

this and downloading
2/17/14 11:20 PM
Jug full of P

vaginal tear - You've made millions and millions off shitty cards. I call it even. Phone Post 3.0
This man is a geni Phone Post 3.0
DarkhorseRising
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cue Serra meme Phone Post 3.0
jason73
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its good to know the communications act of 1934 covers streaming and downloads
2/17/14 11:21 PM
BJ Penn Forever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much has Dana lost to importing snow to Las Vegas and tipping waiters 10K?

I would rather hear that the prelim fighters are getting paid a living wage than Dana's Vegas driveway is good for sledding.

And this is coming from a guy who likes BLAF.
2/17/14 11:22 PM
dannyapodaca
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumb Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 11:23 PM
Rob San Soo

All I can think of is all the imported snow lmao cry me a river UFC Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 11:23 PM
EatonBeever
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You've lost millions with a shitty product.....and now you're just pointing fingers rather than looking in a fucking mirror to realize how awful the UFC has become.

2/17/14 11:24 PM
Sandy Pantz
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days
2/17/14 11:26 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/14 11:27 PM

Downloading is just a part of the culture right now. It crippled the music industry.

Think about it...15 years ago, you like one song and youd have to go out and spend $18 to buy a shitty CD.

Now if you want to have Freebird by Skynard on your ipod, you can just download their entire discography for free. What gets tricky is determining what the real lost revenue is. Is it the $0.99 that the user should've spent on Itunes for the song? It surely isn't for all the albums in the discography, but that would seem to be the sentiment being taken here by UFC's legal team.

At the end of the day, I don't stream because I like to be around people when I watch fights, but many people out there who stream wouldn't have bought the product anyway. Even though they don't pay for the product, they promote the sport in other ways, by talking to people about it online,  etc etc. As a North American fan, it's by far the most expensive sport to follow.

This is just a really tricky time to figure all of this stuff out and I don't know if anyone really knows the answer to anything.

2/17/14 11:27 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/14 11:28 PM
That woman is exactly the type the UFC has been looking for. Their office workers probably make double what the average fighter is currently making. You don't hear about the UFC sacking or having disputes with these guys tho. Why? because Zuffa can't bully lawyers, executives or assistants: there are other jobs out there. and fuck that bitch.
2/17/14 11:31 PM
CaptainAhab
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/14 11:32 PM
If they don't like getting pirated they should figure out a way to make their product affordable to more fans. I would gladly pay something for UFC, but that amount is not $55 a pop. If they wanted to sell a package - 10 cards for 200 bucks or something like that, I would be a paying customer.

I know Dana's response is, "Get 5 friends together and it's only 10 dollars each." Well guess what Dana- unless Brock, Chuck, Randy, GSP or Anderson are on the card- most people, myself included, don't have five friends who give a solitary FUCK about the UFC. Certainly not at the rate they pump out cards these days.
2/17/14 11:45 PM
RJJH
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck you Dana, Fuck you very much.

2/17/14 11:51 PM
Mack Diesel

Waaaaaaah. Waaaaaaah. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 11:52 PM
sodagoespop

Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days

lol this
2/17/14 11:57 PM
forumnewb

theyve lost millions and yet BLAF still has plenty to sustain his degenerate gambling habit.
2/18/14 12:00 AM
Caught_clean
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried to think of a witty response..... All It boils down to for me is

Lol Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:02 AM
Trejo
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There used to be days where a card was good enough, I'd fork out the money on my own for a PPV. Now I don't even think to purchase because cards aren't worth the price. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. I either go to the pub and watch or don't at all which I'm certain is the case for the majority of people who stream.

These are just imaginary loses they are complaining about. Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.