UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So I finally started training BJJ

3/3/14 4:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ilovetortillas
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I feel pretty overwhelmed because there are so many things to remember while using muscles that I never knew I needed. Also, I think my fingers are falling off. I hope they will grow back after I lose them.

Any advice and moral support is appreciated, bros.
3/3/14 4:17 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to be in your guard Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:27 PM
ilovetortillas
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I want to be on your submission. Or my submission. Or something of that nature. I am a disgrace. *buries head in sand*
3/3/14 4:31 PM
BobSherob
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Advice. Enjoy tapping out, cause it will be happening often for a while yet. After you tap ask your partner what they did and see if they can run it through slowly.

Then also ask if they know the defense for it. Then start rolling again.

When you have been going a short time and you roll with a newcomer and can move them around however you want, it is the best feeling. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:32 PM
CaliKush
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If your caught in a triangle, use hammerfists to the face to tap Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:36 PM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/03/14 4:36 PM
I started JJ not long ago. Having watched so much MMA and BJJ actually helped me not be an alien to it but knowing and doing are two veeeeery different things. I am doing no gi for now.

It gets better. Even having someone in guard was weird for me for a few weeks.

The way I started is with a 14 year old. He was teaching beginner classes. We drilled the same 8 moves over and over until we were comfortable with rolling and then got transferred to regular classes (with an older teacher).

I found I learn the most during open mat. Everyone is so friendly and ready to help.
3/3/14 4:37 PM
Pat Giles
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't use many of the muscles you are using in bjj in the kitchen. We aren't surprised. I keed I keed! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:38 PM
Flexo
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it a good as tortillas? Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:38 PM
Jesus Cannons
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get in my guard, bro. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:42 PM
SC MMA MD
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enjoy, it is addictive. Every time you learn one thing you realize there are one hundred more things that you don't know; and for every advanced student that you think is great now, there are dozens of folks out there who could handle them without breaking a sweat. The constant improvement with no real finish line is what makes BJJ such a great endeavor Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:43 PM
ilovetortillas

Thanks bros! Hammerfists to the face is going on my list of moves to practice!
3/3/14 4:47 PM
Jason
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:53 PM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ease up on those grips bud... My fingers used to not move in the morning. :)

Have fun. It's always the guy who enjoys being there the most that progresses the fastest. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:54 PM
cheesyfries
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0
Is this honest advice or a trick to piss of the rolling partner? I don't do jj so I'm curious. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 4:54 PM
ilovetortillas

Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0

Really? Because there is this lady that keeps getting aggressive with me (even during instructions) and I am starting to hate her. I would like to revenge her in the face, but I don't want to be a bully. I just try to keep my cool. Am I doing it wrong?
3/3/14 4:56 PM
TheHebrewHammer
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many times were you oil checked? Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 5:00 PM
ilovetortillas

Also, VU everybody, YAY!!
3/3/14 5:04 PM
Ray Elbe
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Salmiyah, Kuwait
I can't wait to get in deep and tap ilovetortillas...in an armbar Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 5:11 PM
ilovetortillas

Ray Elbe - I can't wait to get in deep and tap ilovetortillas...in an armbar Phone Post 3.0

Note to self: work on armbar defense
3/3/14 6:34 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - I feel pretty overwhelmed because there are so many things to remember while using muscles that I never knew I needed. Also, I think my fingers are falling off. I hope they will grow back after I lose them.

Any advice and moral support is appreciated, bros.
Ttt Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 6:41 PM
doerksenfan
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ees normal!
3/3/14 6:49 PM
FearOfaChristianPlanet
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't make eye contact until purple. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 6:52 PM
UGCTT_Messiah
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas -
Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0

Really? Because there is this lady that keeps getting aggressive with me (even during instructions) and I am starting to hate her. I would like to revenge her in the face, but I don't want to be a bully. I just try to keep my cool. Am I doing it wrong?
Don't actually do this. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 6:57 PM
smth416
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully you don't always get stuck rolling with other women.

As a man, I find rolling with women sometimes to be an important part of my game. Really learn to not muscle anything that way.

Best of luck to ya! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 7:06 PM
Heikki Mustola
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do not hesitate to ask questions, listen and watch carefully techniques, if they seem hard, ask help from your partner. Have fun and tap if you cant get out, it can save you from some injuries...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.