UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So I finally started training BJJ

3/3/14 7:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Heikki Mustola
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do not hesitate to ask questions, listen and watch carefully techniques, if they seem hard, ask help from your partner. Have fun and tap if you cant get out, it can save you from some injuries...
3/3/14 7:38 PM
Jason
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
UGCTT_Messiah - 
ilovetortillas -
Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0

Really? Because there is this lady that keeps getting aggressive with me (even during instructions) and I am starting to hate her. I would like to revenge her in the face, but I don't want to be a bully. I just try to keep my cool. Am I doing it wrong?
Don't actually do this. Phone Post 3.0

Sometimes I forget most of the UG doesn't actually train :) ! So some jokes will be missed!

Slow steady pressure. Position before submission. Breathe. Shoulder Pressure. Relax.

Once you get a little better you will learn good ways to teach people a lesson without losing your cool. Shoulder pressuring, distributing your weight correctly, and many other solid legit BJJ techniques to make it miserable for someone without even attempting to sub them.

3/3/14 7:48 PM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DO NOT WEAR JEWELRY! This is from a few years back (at a seminar), and as you can see the guy I am rolling with has two lip rings in......seriously....

3/3/14 7:51 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^

truth, never ever ever wear any sort of jewerly

3/3/14 7:55 PM
Cyboth
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm one year in and still loving it. Broken toe, cauliflower ears, fingers bending, shit load of bruises.

You will become more and more physically resilient if you keep training. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:14 PM
Chadderz
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesyfries -
Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0
Is this honest advice or a trick to piss of the rolling partner? I don't do jj so I'm curious. Phone Post 3.0
Nah it's horseshit. That's a quick way to injure someone. Crank subs slowly. If they get out, you did something wrong. Once you get the position it should be easy enough to get the sub. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:24 PM
ilovetortillas
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Thanks fellas!! <3 Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:25 PM
ilovetortillas
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason -
UGCTT_Messiah - 
ilovetortillas -
Jason - Make sure to put on any subs you get as hard and as fast as possible. They will respect how committed you are. Phone Post 3.0

Really? Because there is this lady that keeps getting aggressive with me (even during instructions) and I am starting to hate her. I would like to revenge her in the face, but I don't want to be a bully. I just try to keep my cool. Am I doing it wrong?
Don't actually do this. Phone Post 3.0

Sometimes I forget most of the UG doesn't actually train :) ! So some jokes will be missed!

Slow steady pressure. Position before submission. Breathe. Shoulder Pressure. Relax.

Once you get a little better you will learn good ways to teach people a lesson without losing your cool. Shoulder pressuring, distributing your weight correctly, and many other solid legit BJJ techniques to make it miserable for someone without even attempting to sub them.

That's sounds so awesome. I can't wait to be smarter!! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:30 PM
dcase
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHebrewHammer - How many times were you oil checked? Phone Post 3.0

Legit question.
3/3/14 8:32 PM
UGCTT_painbringer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if u get caught in a really tight guard

try the nipple twist

3/3/14 8:39 PM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations, it's a great sport/hobby/workout/etc.

Practice tapping out often, for a long time it will be (by far) your most important move. Relax, stay focused, and learn!

3/3/14 8:41 PM
ilovetortillas

BernardHopkins -

i thought you were getting free private lessons while wearing your free revgear gi like 6months ago

A friend was supposed to send me a used one that he didn't need anymore and time just kinda passed us both by. Revgear offered to send me a brand new one, but I didn't take them up in it because I wasn't sure if I would stick with it. A few things have changed since then and I really decided to dedicate some time and effort to it. I went ahead and bartered with a friend at the gym. I do work at the gym and he let me have a new gi. It's really nice and I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the warm wishes, bro. :) Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:42 PM
ilovetortillas

Cyboth - I'm one year in and still loving it. Broken toe, cauliflower ears, fingers bending, shit load of bruises.

You will become more and more physically resilient if you keep training. Phone Post 3.0
I don't think I will get cauliflower ear. How does it happen? Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:45 PM
ilovetortillas

dcase -
TheHebrewHammer - How many times were you oil checked? Phone Post 3.0

Legit question.
I don't know what that means yet, but I will ask my coach. It sounds horrible. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:46 PM
mikecalimbas
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click HERE for MMA & BJJ Photos, Photographer/Writer
No chanclas on the mat. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:46 PM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 
Cyboth - I'm one year in and still loving it. Broken toe, cauliflower ears, fingers bending, shit load of bruises.

Just from pressure on your ear - getting stuck in headlocks or whatever. It looks pretty badass though, so just let it happen.

3/3/14 8:50 PM
ilovetortillas

mikecalimbas - No chanclas on the mat. Phone Post 3.0
Haha, I got that one on lock, homie!! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 8:51 PM
ilovetortillas

spg -
ilovetortillas - 

Just from pressure on your ear - getting stuck in headlocks or whatever. It looks pretty badass though, so just let it happen.

That's the look that I NEED! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 9:04 PM
Cyboth
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas -

It happened right away for me just from doing the classes.

I rolled with some pretty heavy guys, I'm the only one it happened to. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 9:07 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spend a lot of time practicing positions. A lot of people get addicted to submissions right off the bat but the smartest students immerse themselves in the positional game. It will pay for itself ten fold later on once youve gotten to blue and purple belt. Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 10:16 PM
Ben Miller
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Sydney, NSW, Aus.
Post pics or GTFO.

Thank you kindly.
3/3/14 10:18 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
685 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ben Miller - Post pics or GTFO.

Thank you kindly.
Awwww shit !! Phone Post 3.0
3/3/14 10:51 PM
LiveToFightInc
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Live To Fight Inc., President/CEO
Good luck and have the best time!! I find there were a few types of guys when I was rolling.
1. awesome, helpful guys (usually higher belts) who I loved rolling with. We would go back and forth, and they would let me work, not just suffocate me. That way you actually learn.
2. bigger guys who just used their weight and strength. Just suffocate me. Bc there was no way they were getting subbed by a 105 lb chick.

Damn it, I miss training, can't wait to get back into it!

Good luck lady, oh and be prepared to have your hair ripped out. I wore mine in a huge bun on my head, samurai style. Found that was better than a braid or a Faber rows.

Kristen :) Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 12:23 AM
FatFrenchFry
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I wish I had done is built a safer game.
Not used high guard. Tapped to neck cranks. And conditioned my muscles more. Especially the antagonist ones to those used so much.
Eg strengthened my lower back to counteract all the flexion.
Strengthened my neck. Stretched my hop flexors out after training. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 12:23 AM
FatFrenchFry
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And if you tap a more experienced guy don't brag about it in the club.
;) Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.