UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So I finally started training BJJ

3/4/14 9:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

House Boru - thats awesome man
That's awesome, girl. Now get in my guard.

Fixed. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 11:45 PM
Elias Cepeda
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 1:00 AM
BJ Penn is Irish
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you do some shadow boxing right before rolling, they will dig your sweet moves and hespect you more.

Ha! Just trust your Professor and stay dedicated. Don't expect it to come overnight either. You wouldn't stare at a shrub expecting it to launch into the sky becoming a tree. Takes time but if you put the time in, you will get better.

Best of luck and welcome to the party! Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 10:59 AM
ilovetortillas
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
98lbweakling - 
ilovetortillas - 
98lbweakling - Out of curiosity, why did you wait so long? Phone Post 3.0

I was intimidated. I tried it before a few times and the closeness freaked me out a bit. I still need to get used to it, but I feel a lot better about it now.

Can you elaborate on this a bit. Is it being close to strange men that's the issue or would it still be an issue if you trained exclusively with women too? Also, does the "closeness" have anything to do with feeling smothered or trapped? I've heard women mention this before but I never really understood it.

Yes, exactly. I feel more comfortable training with women right now and a very small pool of men (3 maybe 4) that I have a high level of trust with. Part of my issue is I am claustrophobic and I do feel an overwhelming anxiety when I feel crowded or smothered. It's really odd. It happens even during normal conversations. I get consumed with feeling the need to escape. I am hoping that the BJJ will help me deal with that and I feel like it is working so far. Once I am a little more comfortable, I will probably be able to train with just about anybody, but I am still in the process of conquering my fear. My goal is to make progress every day.
3/5/14 11:01 AM
ilovetortillas
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elias Cepeda - Congrats! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks old friend!!
3/5/14 11:03 AM
ilovetortillas

Thanks nobones, that is very helpful and I appreciate the encouragement.

BJ Penn is Irish - TOO FUNNY!! I laughed pretty hard. There is actually a guy at the gym that does that. LOL!!
3/5/14 11:48 AM
MTH
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - How bad does cauliflower ear hurt? Does it affect your hearing at all? Phone Post 3.0

Cauliflower ears can affect your hearing if they become so bad that they essentially block the ear canal.

Also, cauliflower ears themselves don't particularly hurt, though they do feel like a rock between your head and the pillow at night.  What hurts is GETTING the cauliflower ears.

My understanding is that they form when the skin of your ear shears away from the underlying cartilage, due to trauma such as an impact or twist. The newly created space fills with blood and, unless promptly drained and repaired by someone who knows what they're doing, the underlying cartilage (lacking any vascular system) dies due to oxygen deprivation. The result is the cartilage malforms, swells, expands, and hardens, creating "cauliflower" ears. 

From the time the skin shears off the cartilage until the time the cauliflower hardens, it hurts quite a bit and is very tender. Once hardened, it feels like nothing. It's just a rock attached to the side of your head. 

Some folks are (much) more susceptible to it than others. My advice is that if you find your ears start to generally be tender after grappling, then you're someone who is susceptible. At that point, you decide whether to simply allow them to happen and just try to treat (or ignore) them, or if you want to wear headgear to actively try to avoid the issue. 

I had an unrepaired instance of them several years ago, and from that time onward my right ear turned red, swelled, and itched after every practice unless I wore headgear. The small cauliflower that developed originally also expands just a little each time this happens. The headgear stops it completely and makes it a non-issue. 

As noted above, cauliflower ears can be surgically repaired after the fact. (They never go away on their own.) A surgeon slices open your ear, peels away the skin, and basically "scoops" away the malformed cartilage and tries to leave something that looks kind of like a normal ear. This is "plastic surgery" of course, and as such it tends to produce mixed results, is rarely covered by insurance, and costs thousands of dollars per ear. 

Bottomline: If you think you will *ever* not want cauliflower ears, and your ears start hurting during grappling, you should probably either (a) quit grappling, (b) learn what's required to treat ear trauma prior to it turning into cauliflower, and be prepared to execute this plan quickly and repeatedly after each instance of trauma occurs, or (c) wear headgear and never think about it again. 
3/5/14 11:52 AM
rushinbear
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 
rushinbear - now there will be another person that will be able to kick my butt....

I'm a long ways away from being able to kick anybody's butt!

tap tap...
3/5/14 12:48 PM
Chadderz
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more mangled your ears are, the more dudes respect you. Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 1:00 PM
JoeTheWildRover
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

biggest tip I was ever told was:

be patient and breathe

Too many people put themselves in bad positions by moving forward and panicking.  If you relax, breathe you'll see you will have a lot more control

3/5/14 1:57 PM
I_lov3_JUSTIN_BIEBER
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guida Sanchez

Pretty much Sanchez and anyone Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 4:38 PM
Elias Cepeda
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas -
Elias Cepeda - Congrats! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks old friend!!
:) Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 5:29 PM
ilovetortillas

OMG, cauliflower ear sounds so horrendous!

Thanks for all the awesome advice and support. I feel supe happy to have all of your advice. And the jokes are helping to break the tension. I can't wait to hammerfist tap out of a triangle!!!
3/5/14 5:34 PM
Cyboth

ilovetortillas - OMG, cauliflower ear sounds so horrendous!

Thanks for all the awesome advice and support. I feel supe happy to have all of your advice. And the jokes are helping to break the tension. I can't wait to hammerfist tap out of a triangle!!!
Mine didn't hurt to the point where I couldn't train but I had to buy some ear guards. Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 6:44 PM
SC MMA MD
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - OMG, cauliflower ear sounds so horrendous!

Cauliflower ear is really not that bad, but you need to have a plan for what you are going to do if/when you get it so you can address it quickly when it happens Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 6:47 PM
Sydney Crosby's Iron Jaw

UGCTT croy_00 -

DO NOT WEAR JEWELRY! This is from a few years back (at a seminar), and as you can see the guy I am rolling with has two lip rings in......seriously....

Affliction gi ftw! Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 10:57 AM
ilovetortillas

Yeah, so last night (my 4th class) was pretty rough. I feel like a giant baby that doesn't know how to speak English. I obviously have to be on the beginner mat and things are pretty slow and difficult. At one point my fiance comes over from the normal people mat (he's the head instructor) and says something that sounded to me like, "hey babe, you have to ching-chong, bing-bong, and then zippity doo da on the wa da tah, okay?" and I was like "uhh, okay". OH. MY. GAWD. I feel like I am shaming him. I know HE doesn't feel like that, but it's so embarrassing that I feel like I should bury my head in the sand. *hides face* Other than that, I got my first real taste of having a big chunk of hair ripped out of my head and it sounded like fabric ripping. I tried not to laugh, but it was SO FUNNY that I couldn't stop. It was overall a good class though and I am looking forward to the next one. Thank you for listening.
3/6/14 11:11 AM
MTH
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - Yeah, so last night (my 4th class) was pretty rough. I feel like a giant baby that doesn't know how to speak English. I obviously have to be on the beginner mat and things are pretty slow and difficult. At one point my fiance comes over from the normal people mat (he's the head instructor) and says something that sounded to me like, "hey babe, you have to ching-chong, bing-bong, and then zippity doo da on the wa da tah, okay?" and I was like "uhh, okay". OH. MY. GAWD. I feel like I am shaming him. I know HE doesn't feel like that, but it's so embarrassing that I feel like I should bury my head in the sand. *hides face* Other than that, I got my first real taste of having a big chunk of hair ripped out of my head and it sounded like fabric ripping. I tried not to laugh, but it was SO FUNNY that I couldn't stop. It was overall a good class though and I am looking forward to the next one. Thank you for listening.
Perfect. ;)

Remember all that stuff from the other day about how white belt is the belt of "survival" and how the first year is pretty much just one ass kicking after the next?

Well . . . there ya' go.

(Just remember--it's *normal* to feel that way. Just hang on.) Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 11:21 AM
John M
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also just started a few weeks ago. Good luck.

3/6/14 11:22 AM
Powerful DJH
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas -
dcase -
TheHebrewHammer - How many times were you oil checked? Phone Post 3.0

Legit question.
I don't know what that means yet, but I will ask my coach. It sounds horrible. Phone Post 3.0
YES ASK HIM. They will all be impressed you know that move. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 11:24 AM
ilovetortillas

MTH - 
ilovetortillas - Yeah, so last night (my 4th class) was pretty rough. I feel like a giant baby that doesn't know how to speak English. I obviously have to be on the beginner mat and things are pretty slow and difficult. At one point my fiance comes over from the normal people mat (he's the head instructor) and says something that sounded to me like, "hey babe, you have to ching-chong, bing-bong, and then zippity doo da on the wa da tah, okay?" and I was like "uhh, okay". OH. MY. GAWD. I feel like I am shaming him. I know HE doesn't feel like that, but it's so embarrassing that I feel like I should bury my head in the sand. *hides face* Other than that, I got my first real taste of having a big chunk of hair ripped out of my head and it sounded like fabric ripping. I tried not to laugh, but it was SO FUNNY that I couldn't stop. It was overall a good class though and I am looking forward to the next one. Thank you for listening.
Perfect. ;)

Remember all that stuff from the other day about how white belt is the belt of "survival" and how the first year is pretty much just one ass kicking after the next?

Well . . . there ya' go.

(Just remember--it's *normal* to feel that way. Just hang on.) Phone Post 3.0

YES, SO VERY MUCH SO!!! I won't lie, I cried last night out of frustration before I went to sleep, BUT I thank you all very much for all the advice, encouragement and insight. It has really helped calm my nerves and given me an extra boost to push through. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, bros.

*internet bro fist*

3/6/14 11:26 AM
ilovetortillas

Powerful DJH - 
ilovetortillas -
dcase -

Legit question.
I don't know what that means yet, but I will ask my coach. It sounds horrible. Phone Post 3.0

Oh, crap, I forgot to ask that! My bad, I will ask tonight.
3/6/14 11:27 AM
ilovetortillas

John M - 

I also just started a few weeks ago. Good luck.

You too, bro!
3/7/14 3:00 PM
rushinbear
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 
Powerful DJH - 
ilovetortillas -
dcase -

Legit question.

ttmft for information...
3/7/14 3:46 PM
ilovetortillas

rushinbear - 
ilovetortillas - 
Powerful DJH - 
ilovetortillas -
dcase -

Legit question.

ttmft for information...

I got invited for a private lesson to learn that move. I will let y'all know how it goes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.