UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Teddy Atlas: 'Mike Tyson’s a phony'

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3/4/14 7:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA Playwright
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“Mike Tyson’s a phony; he was a phony from the very beginning,” says Atlas, now 57. “A phony from the day he was born; and you can’t say he was forced to be one. Maybe he was forced to be a survivor, but it’s not so much survivor than, can you manipulate?

“When he was a kid, he would hide (from his Brooklyn enemies) in between walls of buildings. I don’t think he ever came out from between those walls; I don’t think he ever broke the habit of hiding. He found a haven between those walls. Later, when he wanted to give you something meaningful, he gave it to you in that lisp of a voice.

“Once, he was Darth Vader, telling everyone, “I’m going to eat your children.” Those were his words, not his thoughts. He’s a complicated guy, but also a simple guy. A phony. The undisputed truth is that he never tells the truth, but if you gave him a polygraph test, he’d probably pass it. That’s how he is. That’s how he reinvented himself.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Mar/03/teddy-atlas-michael-grant-tyson-boxing-holyfield/?#article-copy

3/4/14 7:31 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Teddy sounds like a fucking hater Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 7:32 PM
inf0
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we're all fake homie.. humans replicate what they see to survive

3/4/14 7:33 PM
DoomFarmer
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/14 7:42 PM
Teddy Atlas ruined that Tyson retrospective DVD set by going out of his way to discredit him in every other breath.

We get it, he made a pass at your young niece and you don't like him.
3/4/14 7:34 PM
Malvert the Janitor
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never got over that incident with his daughter apparently. Not sure I'd be any different. Glad I'm not invested...I can appreciate both guys objectively. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 7:36 PM
Winston Wolf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought they made up
3/4/14 7:36 PM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/14 7:36 PM

Damn dude, it's been like 30 years, your niece has got to be headed for retirement.

3/4/14 7:37 PM
KneeToFaceKO

Wow. Phone Post
3/4/14 7:42 PM
dubate
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malvert the Janitor - Never got over that incident with his daughter apparently. Not sure I'd be any different. Glad I'm not invested...I can appreciate both guys objectively. Phone Post 3.0
I think that he is still angry at Cus for not backing him but since he can't get resolution from that, he wil be angry at Tyson forever. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:10 PM
Eskoe1
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Mike to Teddy's niece is something you never forget.

I like Mike for what he did in boxing. Thats about it. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:11 PM
Sydney Crosby's Iron Jaw

Ill personally knock that cross eyed faggot out if I ever see him. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:20 PM
dhughes
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that's a shame.
3/4/14 8:25 PM
Kostakio
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate -
Malvert the Janitor - Never got over that incident with his daughter apparently. Not sure I'd be any different. Glad I'm not invested...I can appreciate both guys objectively. Phone Post 3.0
I think that he is still angry at Cus for not backing him but since he can't get resolution from that, he wil be angry at Tyson forever. Phone Post 3.0
Very intelligent post. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:32 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)

yeah Tyson's a piece of trash, what else is new?
3/4/14 8:33 PM
Chappie
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atlas seems to be a bit healthfully fixated on speaking ill of Tyson, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is merit in what Teddy said. Tyson fans have always celebrated Mike's quick knockouts over overmatched fighters while neglecting discussion of the fact that Mike's lack of character is what prevented him from ever becoming a truly great fighter. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:34 PM
Chappie
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Unhealthfully fixated"..... fucking app. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:40 PM
Mayhem13
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haters gonna hate.

Funny how he didnt call Mike a phony or talk shit to his face, when he apologized last August.

Seem like Atlas is the one who's not real to me.. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:01 PM
StrikingMMA
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does everyone assume Teddy is making his assessment based on that one incident?

Honestly Mike Tyson himself brags about being a scumbag his whole life. He even seems proud of it.

I think Teddy is just calling it the way he sees it. Because honestly Tyson has been a garbage person. I'm not sure why everyone wants to deify him now.
3/4/14 9:08 PM
ShanTheMan
653 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like Mike as a boxer, but as a person he was a fucktard for a long time.
3/4/14 9:11 PM
yusul
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Playwright - 

“Mike Tyson’s a phony; he was a phony from the very beginning,” says Atlas, now 57. “A phony from the day he was born; and you can’t say he was forced to be one. Maybe he was forced to be a survivor, but it’s not so much survivor than, can you manipulate?

“When he was a kid, he would hide (from his Brooklyn enemies) in between walls of buildings. I don’t think he ever came out from between those walls; I don’t think he ever broke the habit of hiding. He found a haven between those walls. Later, when he wanted to give you something meaningful, he gave it to you in that lisp of a voice.

“Once, he was Darth Vader, telling everyone, “I’m going to eat your children.” Those were his words, not his thoughts. He’s a complicated guy, but also a simple guy. A phony. The undisputed truth is that he never tells the truth, but if you gave him a polygraph test, he’d probably pass it. That’s how he is. That’s how he reinvented himself.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Mar/03/teddy-atlas-michael-grant-tyson-boxing-holyfield/?#article-copy

the funny thing is that tyson admitted most of this already.

also, what does phony have to do with giving people things with a speech impediment? it seems like a general rant. what a bitter guy.

3/4/14 9:15 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

We are all phony to an extent. We all wear masks. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:16 PM
ABE FROMAN

Shannon Briggs: “Teddy Atlas Was the Ultimate Control Freak … He Betrayed Me!”

Boxing commentator and trainer Teddy Atlas is not exactly Mr. Popularity with many American fighters these days.

After recently guiding Russian heavyweight Alexander Povetkin to a paper WBA world heavyweight title (the rightful champion there is “super champ” Wladimir Klitschko), Atlas has found himself taking fire from some American heavyweights who aren’t impressed with what they see as his hypocrisy and his bizarre, manipulative ways.

In a recent interview with Boxing Insider, veteran American heavyweight Monte “Two Gunz” Barrett lambasted Atlas as a “big hypocrite” for apparently choosing to have his new Russian champion fight very faded past champs like Evander Holyfield and Hasim Rahman, rather than take on a man such as himself, a still viable fighter who recently scored an impressive win over a tough foe in David Tua.

“He’s a hypocrite–Teddy Atlas is a hypocrite when it comes to his fighters. He doesn’t preach what he teach,” said Barrett.

Now, another American heavyweight veteran, Shannon Briggs, has published an expose on Atlas on his blog featured in the online edition of Boxing News.

Briggs calls Atlas “the ultimate control freak,” and describes some of the very eccentric behavior that the trainer would engage in. “One of the craziest things he ever said to me was, ‘When you’re in the ring, you’re the body and I’m the mind’” says Briggs.

“I’m just the body and he’s the mind? What’s that about?”

Briggs goes on to describe how he was a young and naive fighter when he first hooked up with Teddy Atlas, and says Atlas became a father figure to him (Briggs’s real father was serving a life sentence, and his mother was strung out on drugs). According to Briggs, Atlas was fond of using invasive psychological techniques to try and gain control over his pugilistic pupil.

Atlas, says Briggs, was a fierce disciplinarian who would call him up at odd hours, sometimes in the middle of the night, and tell him to be at the gym the next day at a certain hour, only to arrive himself much later. Atlas would then deny the phone conversation, and cause a long argument, only to later admit, “I was testing you. I was testing you to see if you would break under pressure.”

Briggs also contends that Atlas at one time held undue influence over the boxing press, who often kowtowed to what Teddy wanted to see in print.

“You have to understand, he had a lot of influence over the writers, a lot of the journalists were scared of him,” Briggs writes. “When I was with Teddy, you wouldn’t hear anything bad about Shannon Briggs, I was God, I was the future heavyweight champion of the world. The day after Teddy and I split, every writer wrote that I was the worst fighter to ever walk on the planet.”

Finally, in a story very similar to what has been heard from others– like American heavyweight Michael Grant–who have worked with Atlas, Briggs says that he was left with serious emotional scars from his relationship with the trainer.

When Briggs lost for the first time, Atlas “went on national TV and gave me a hard time,” Briggs recounts.

“I was hurt because at that point, despite everything that I thought he was doing wrong, he was my father figure. He hurt me and I’ve told him that. It took me a long time to recover mentally from all the things that he said and did. I felt anger because I had dedicated four years to him and I felt like I had been betrayed.”

3/4/14 9:21 PM
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StrikingMMA - 
Why does everyone assume Teddy is making his assessment based on that one incident?

Honestly Mike Tyson himself brags about being a scumbag his whole life. He even seems proud of it.

I think Teddy is just calling it the way he sees it. Because honestly Tyson has been a garbage person. I'm not sure why everyone wants to deify him now.

Exactly.
3/4/14 9:24 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf? Was the niece really 11? Tyson was a sick fuck.

3/4/14 9:31 PM
jacktripper

JohnnyB1 -

Here's a video of Mike coming up to him last year and apologizing to him for grabbing his niece's ass almost 30 years ago. He was man enough to look Teddy in the eye and say sorry I was wrong.

So someone apologized to you admitted they were wrong and you're still talkin shit. Fuck you Teddy.

So you'd forgive someone that raped an 11 yr old family member of yours because they looked you in the eye and apologized?

Tyson's a piece of shit Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.