UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 1999 Frank Shamrock vs today's Welterweights

3/6/14 1:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chemmy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hypothetically speaking, of course, how do you think Frank Shamrock circa 1999 would fare in 2014's Welterweight division?

Top 10? Top 20? Not even a gatekeeper?

What about Sakuraba (2000ish)?

Do you think the game has evolved too much for his skillset at that time or would he be competitive at 170 lbs? Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 1:55 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His takedown defense has always been horrible and his takedowns were never great either. If somehow he was able to correct that he would do ok, otherwise not well at all.
3/6/14 1:55 PM
Ramon Maroni

Shamrock top 10 easily

gets beat by GSP, Condit, Hendricks(very close)

could Sak make 170?
3/6/14 2:05 PM
El Ninja
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Frank who made prime Tito tap to strikes would do well against guys 30 lbs smaller (than Tito). Yes i realize this was a slightly pre-prime Tito but my point remains the same.

Agreed his TDD was horrible. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 3:00 PM
BJ Penn Forever
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sakuraba could easily make 170 if he did the whole dehydration/IV combo that is all the rage these days.

Prime Sakuraba would be a strong force in today's welterweight division.
3/7/14 5:34 PM
Chemmy

I'm thinking that 170 lbs would be the ideal weight division for both guys. It'd be interesting to see Sakuraba try to deal with the striking in modern day MMA and Shamrock try to handle the wrestling-heavy welterweight division.
3/7/14 5:37 PM
The Pendulum

1a1 - His takedown defense has always been horrible and his takedowns were never great either. If somehow he was able to correct that he would do ok, otherwise not well at all.
Takedowns not good?

Lol, ok. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 6:02 PM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/14 6:05 PM
Frank was always a submission over position kind of guy. He would be beaten to boring decisions by wrestlers with strong top control. Todays fighters are much more skilled with defending subs and positioning than guys in his era.
3/7/14 8:54 PM
QTyp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd be top 15 at least. GSP beats him in typical boring fashion, but fights with Hendro, Condit, and Lawler would be fun as shit. Frank would still lose though. He would be on a Matt Brown level, which would also be a great fight. Phone Post
3/7/14 9:30 PM
newtotheinterweb

By all accounts, Frank was a really fast learner and very focused. I think he would have adapted and bought himself up to their level very quickly. Probably not GSP level, but could definitely make top 5 with a few modern training camps and training partners. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:39 PM
jkd_guy
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He had mo smith as a striking coach, that's goods pedigree.

As for saku he did well against Igor. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:46 PM
AgedCaviar
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a better hypothetical re: Saku is how would he have done in the UFC's welterweight division in the early Zuffa era. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:47 PM
FETT_TFK UGCTT GayHard&mmmSaucy
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Penn Forever - Sakuraba could easily make 170 if he did the whole dehydration/IV combo that is all the rage these days.

Prime Sakuraba would be a strong force in today's welterweight division.
I think he was around 175 for the first Royce fight, I don't think 170 would be difficult for him at all. Plus, he fought at 170 at the end of his career. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:49 PM
simonpe

The sport has evolved too much. It's not a fair comparison
3/7/14 9:53 PM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AgedCaviar - I think a better hypothetical re: Saku is how would he have done in the UFC's welterweight division in the early Zuffa era. Phone Post 3.0

With the exception of Royler and maybe Carlos newton/Renzo, the guy had an outstanding career finishing off bigger opponents. I think he'd do great.
3/7/14 10:34 PM
RearNakedToke
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HERTSWENIP -
AgedCaviar - I think a better hypothetical re: Saku is how would he have done in the UFC's welterweight division in the early Zuffa era. Phone Post 3.0

With the exception of Royler and maybe Carlos newton/Renzo, the guy had an outstanding career finishing off bigger opponents. I think he'd do great.
Saku would have done great. His leg kicks and southpaw striking would have been pretty decent against guys like Miletich and Hughes probably. He would have shot for singles for sure, and if he didn't get it against some American wrestlers he would have forced a scramble and had the submission chops to come out on top most of the time. He would have gone for legs too which might have been a smart or bad thing depending on the opponent. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:42 PM
BshMstr
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chemmy - Hypothetically speaking, of course, how do you think Frank Shamrock circa 1999 would fare in 2014's Welterweight division?

Top 10? Top 20? Not even a gatekeeper?

What about Sakuraba (2000ish)?

Do you think the game has evolved too much for his skillset at that time or would he be competitive at 170 lbs? Phone Post 3.0

i think Frank just got bored with the UFC, and was frustrated by the lack of money when he was at his peak.

i think if he grew up in modern day MMA, he'd still be a champion.... he really was a WW, fighting a bunch of LHW's, until the end of his career.
3/7/14 11:16 PM
BrattMamley
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

simonpe - The sport has evolved too much. It's not a fair comparison
This Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 12:04 AM
DonFrye_Fan

HERTSWENIP - Frank was always a submission over position kind of guy. He would be beaten to boring decisions by wrestlers with strong top control. Todays fighters are much more skilled with defending subs and positioning than guys in his era.
Didn't he actually preach, "position over submission"? Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 12:12 AM
MrHughes1991
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neither would win a fight in the top 10 today Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 12:16 AM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both Frank & Saku should be in hypothetical fights vs MW's, not WW's!

both are EASY top 10 today in WW. both are nightmare matchups for GSP too!
3/8/14 1:46 AM
HERTSWENIP

Edited: 03/08/14 1:46 AM
DonFrye_Fan - 
HERTSWENIP - Frank was always a submission over position kind of guy. He would be beaten to boring decisions by wrestlers with strong top control. Todays fighters are much more skilled with defending subs and positioning than guys in his era.
Didn't he actually preach, "position over submission"? Phone Post 3.0

Never saw him say that, but if he did, it never reflected in his performances.
3/8/14 2:26 AM
flemingo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1a1 - His takedown defense has always been horrible and his takedowns were never great either. If somehow he was able to correct that he would do ok, otherwise not well at all.

i seem to remember a particular takedown he did against igor zinoviev broke his collarbone knocked him out put him out of competition for life, must have been not great though i meen the way he picked him up in the air and dumped him on his head was definately not great i mean see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvYTvCG0Cw
his td defence was pretty bad though
i'd say he'd be a gatekeeper though, on a similar level to koshcheck i think. Not champ material but you'd be keen to watch his fights
3/8/14 6:07 AM
Tilla

Frank's Kickboxing game in 1999 was INSANE.

Frank vs Condit would have been a war.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.