UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Guillard: I will be UFC champion

3/7/14 8:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

That saying that getting to the UFC is the easy part. Staying in the UFC is the hard part. Despite upswings and downswings, Melvin Guillard has been on the active roster of the UFC for nine years. One thing that has alluded Guillard though is a title run, but at only thirty  years of age, the lightweight believes it will come:

"People don't realize how hard it is not only to fight in the UFC but stay in the UFC. I've been in the UFC for nine years straight. I haven't been cut or kicked to another promotion and I'm proud of that." 

That said, Guillard still believes a UFC belt is in his future. Should he defeat Johnson on Saturday, Guillard plans to call for a top-five opponent and then a title shot. 

"Will I get a title shot? Yes. Will I be champion? Yes," Guillard said. "I haven't given up on myself. 

"[UFC champion] Anthony Pettis is a good fighter, but I feel like I'm bigger, stronger and faster. I can beat anybody in my weight class. I have to go make a statement against Michael Johnson and then I see myself fighting for the title within two fights."

read entire article...

3/7/14 8:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crowbar
743 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/14 8:51 PM

3/7/14 8:51 PM
Petey B
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eluded not alluded. Also, no he won't unless his grappling magically becomes awesome. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 8:55 PM
MyGodThisMMA
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope
3/7/14 8:57 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he will but that's the attitude a fighter needs to have. But if he can beat Johnson and then someone like TJ or Bendo (unlikely I know), I can see him getting it and he's always dangerous for anyone. I like watching him fight.
3/7/14 8:59 PM
Austin Richards

He needs to finish Johnson in the 1st round to show he means business, then do the same against his next top 5 to get a title shot imo. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:02 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry dude. You will not
3/7/14 9:02 PM
ShowtimeKnee

Melvin is a savage striker and great athlete, hope he puts it all together at ATT.
3/7/14 9:03 PM
Mr_Honky
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/14 9:02 PM

photo stupid2_zpsbfdec813.gif

3/7/14 9:05 PM
orcus

Nope.
3/7/14 9:09 PM
war wand
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come on mang Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:25 PM
BeauTown

Hope he ko's Johnson fights tj and gets a flash ko ! Him v Pettis would be pretty awesome striking match ! Very unlikely will happen but I just hope always been a Melvin fan Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:27 PM
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Petey B - Eluded not alluded. Also, no he won't unless his grappling magically becomes awesome. Phone Post 3.0

It's a mental thing as much or more than his grappling.
3/7/14 9:29 PM
tonywsimpson
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for when MJ derails melvins hopes and dreams train. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:41 PM
elliot91
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never used to like guilllard but recently I've really been rooting for him he's actually really cool and it feels like he's never really tapped his full potential for whatever reason or another, that being said he's been around forever and as guys like Pettis and aldo just move onto another level I think he's missed his time Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:56 PM
MediumRareMistake
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BeauTown - Hope he ko's Johnson fights tj and gets a flash ko ! Him v Pettis would be pretty awesome striking match ! Very unlikely will happen but I just hope always been a Melvin fan Phone Post 3.0
You're hoping he Ko's a guy suffering from a concussion in his next fight. Fuck let tj get healthy before we start wishing him to be knocked out lol. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:19 PM
springfield
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melvin is always entertaining in his fights. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:21 PM
Mr Sponge

Johnson puts him away Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:21 PM
biva
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigSleep -
Petey B - Eluded not alluded. Also, no he won't unless his grappling magically becomes awesome. Phone Post 3.0

It's a mental thing as much or more than his grappling.
No it's definately his grappling Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:23 PM
BackOffWarchild
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Math major? He fought in RITC in 2008.
3/7/14 10:26 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he hasn't found consistency at this point, he ain't finding it. He will continue to run hot and cold throughout the rest of his career. Always entertaining but not champion material. Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 12:21 AM
Matrixkick
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way in hell he beats Pettis. Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 12:33 AM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melvin has an exciting fighting style, win or lose, and that's what has kept him around for so long. But his record shows that he's consistently coming up short against top ranked competitors. I don't see him getting a title shot anytime soon.
3/8/14 12:36 AM
RKing85
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nope, not going to happen Melvin.
3/8/14 2:39 AM
Skillrules
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

About 6 years ago, I posted that Melvin has delusions of grandeur. Clearly, he's changed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.