UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What is it that GLORY are doing right, that K-1...

3/8/14 6:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't?

Glory have worldwide events, some ELITE bad-ass motherfuckers on their roster, and just seem to be ticking all the boxes to make Kickboxing work on an international scale...

How so?
3/8/14 6:51 AM
MrMichaelz

Exposure, match-making for starters
Where I'm at they've got a Glory event 5 days a week running on Fox Sports... It's seriously bad-ass. I could never find K-1

They've got a tourney coming up as well. I'm actually looking forward to Corbett vs. Saki more than any MMA event
3/8/14 6:54 AM
dunchurrn
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're not constrained by the whims of Japanese TV networks, their survival presently depends on an angel investor moreso than TV ratings, and they don't have a single dominant market.

K-1's problem was never the fighters or the product, it was that by the time they really needed to develop other markets they simply didn't have the resources and were stuck in a death spiral in Japan with shrinking finances and TV ratings. In the salad days they made plenty of money off of Fuji TV and just sort of let that subsidise weird half-hearted jaunts to other countries.

Glory doesn't really have a base anywhere, which is good in that it lets them focus on building one in a potentially lucrative market, and bad because it means they're not making money and could just disappear whenever Pierre gets bored of red ink.
3/8/14 7:08 AM
Tilla

Corbett vs Saki?!?!?! MOTHER OF CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be AWESOME!!!!

Shit, I'm pumped for that.
3/8/14 7:25 AM
MrMichaelz

Tilla - Corbett vs Saki?!?!?! MOTHER OF CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be AWESOME!!!!

RIGHT!!! Corbett is a bad dude but he can't elbow in Glory Saki is dropping from HW. This will be f'in awesome

I'm more stoked for this than any other match!
3/8/14 7:38 AM
Watch Bellator on Spike

Kickboxing should work globally... it's not a question of can it work, it's a question of who will be the one to make it work.  In some markets it wont be as popular as mma or boxing but in other markets it will be more popular than mma or boxing.  It just has to carve a big enough piece of the pie.

Zuffa laid down the blueprint for the optimal business model in combat sports.  You just need to copy that.

I would copy Zuffa's contracts, copy mma's weight classes (or close to it), establish champions, try to figure out how to make a reality show work, etc...

I would follow zuffa everywhere and pitch the networks that dont end up with the ufc... I would try to get every UFC hand me down ala spike tv.  If you cant have the best MMA org in the world then sell them the best kickboxing org in the world.

You wanna compete with the UFC dont get into mma... get into kickboxing because then you can atleast differentiate yourself.  Own the kickboxing space instead of trying to be a watered down version of the UFC.

3/8/14 8:11 AM
Tilla

MrMichaelz - 

That will be AWESOME!!!!

RIGHT!!! Corbett is a bad dude but he can't elbow in Glory Saki is dropping from HW. This will be f'in awesome

Why is Saki dropping down? Is the drop for good?

Man he is a bad dude!
3/8/14 8:15 AM
OneSidedWar

Easy. Short Rd Muay Thai. Phone Post
3/8/14 8:37 AM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they're exploiting more markets, glorys already on in the uk, could never find k1. Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 8:39 AM
Tilla

Devlin - they're exploiting more markets, glorys already on in the uk, could never find k1. Phone Post 3.0

What channel and when? I've been out of the loop for time mate.
3/8/14 10:11 AM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla -
Devlin - they're exploiting more markets, glorys already on in the uk, could never find k1. Phone Post 3.0

What channel and when? I've been out of the loop for time mate.
bt sports, tonights is tape delay untill tuesday 10pm, but the last 2 were live. Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 10:37 AM
MrMichaelz

Tilla - 
MrMichaelz - 

That will be AWESOME!!!!

Why is Saki dropping down? Is the drop for good?

Man he is a bad dude!

I think the drop is easy for him and it seems like there are some good fights for him there.

I like Corbett, can't wait to see what happens between him and Saki... this is super fight for sure.
3/8/14 10:40 AM
bricht07

Its Americanized! They have made kickboxing a sellable product Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.