UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Faber talks Ludwig's split with Team Alpha Male

4/3/14 2:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last year Duane 'Bang' Ludwig moved to California to become head coach of Team Alpha Male. In the time since taking over, Alpha Male found incredible success and all their athletes showed improved standup skills.

Recently it was revealed that Ludwig would be leaving the team to head back to Colorado and start his own gym. Owner of Team Alpha Male, Urijah Faber has been mostly quiet on the split, but recently opened up to BloodyElbow.com:

"I think it's good," Faber told Bloody Elbow, "There was a lot of publicity that came with that whole thing with Duane, but this team has been building for 11 years now. We were looking for a coach, and he came in and everyone made a big deal about it. We learned a lot from him, and from his style, but we need someone that is invested in the long term."

"It wasn't anything really. We never signed a contract or anything," Faber said of his agreement with Ludwig, "No (I wasn't surprised he wasn't here long term), not once I got him in the area. He's got his own mind, and has his own agendas, so I completely understand it. It was an opportunity for him to get exposure that he really needed, but it is what it is, really."

read entire article...

4/3/14 3:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pitbull3744
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/3/14 3:18 PM
KidPittsburgh
1229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kid's got a future in politics.
4/3/14 3:25 PM
bakobell

Coach came in a made a big difference. I don't see why Uriah can't give him his props. Yes we get TA was good before. But Ludwig made them better. Why does Uriah seem so butt hurt? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:29 PM
Mayhem13
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bakobell - Coach came in a made a big difference. I don't see why Uriah can't give him his props. Yes we get TA was good before. But Ludwig made them better. Why does Uriah seem so butt hurt? Phone Post 3.0
I think he kind of feels like Bang used TA to basically get himself exposure, so he could then split and start his own gym.

Not saying he did, or did not do that....but that's how I think some of those guys view the situation it seems. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:29 PM
lost submission
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He does come off as pretty hurt Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:34 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1083 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another American divorce story... Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:36 PM
braidedgooch
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hurts my head to think that Bang would need Team Alpha Male to get exposure. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:40 PM
stevekt
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing that bothered me was that most cornermen wore their fighter's shirt but Ludwig often wore his own BANG shirt. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:41 PM
bakobell

Mayhem13 -
bakobell - Coach came in a made a big difference. I don't see why Uriah can't give him his props. Yes we get TA was good before. But Ludwig made them better. Why does Uriah seem so butt hurt? Phone Post 3.0
I think he kind of feels like Bang used TA to basically get himself exposure, so he could then split and start his own gym.

Not saying he did, or did not do that....but that's how I think some of those guys view the situation it seems. Phone Post 3.0
Outside looking in, it seems to me like the books came out pretty balanced for both sides. I'm sure financially it TA came out ahead with monies from new students a d fights, but yeah I can see where it padded Ludwigs resume quite nicely. Win/win for all. Just wish they'd act like grown ups and wish eachother the best. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 3:57 PM
donovese
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What happens IF Dillishaw gets by Barao? I think that he moves to Colorado. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 4:03 PM
BLPorritt
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donovese - What happens IF Dillishaw gets by Barao? I think that he moves to Colorado. Phone Post 3.0
Interesting.

He seems loyal to AM. Wasn't he on Fabers team on TUF? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 4:06 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What huge difference did he make? Mendes and Dillishaw beat a bunch of very overmatched guys. Faber and Benavidez continued to smash everyone but the champs same as they have for years.

Faber is being pretty reasonable imo. They've been doing this at a really high level for a long time, continued fighting at that high level and now are back to trying to find a coach to get them over the hump after the previous guy got all of the credit for the success they had over the last year or so. That's got to suck Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 4:08 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLPorritt - 
donovese - What happens IF Dillishaw gets by Barao? I think that he moves to Colorado. Phone Post 3.0
Interesting.

He was one of his coaches for the live season. He was on Bispings for the season he competed.

4/3/14 4:09 PM
Wes_Mantooth

"but we need someone that is invested in the long term."

If TA wanted someone invested in the long term they should give that person an equity position (ownership) in the team.

A hired hand won't be invested in the long term.
4/3/14 4:17 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

stevekt - One thing that bothered me was that most cornermen wore their fighter's shirt but Ludwig often wore his own BANG shirt. Phone Post 3.0

agreed
4/3/14 4:33 PM
BLPorritt
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_CloudStrife -
BLPorritt - 
Interesting.

He was one of his coaches for the live season. He was on Bispings for the season he competed.

Ahhhh OK. Gracias Señor Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 4:59 PM
Giventofly99
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole thing is odd. Their striking was terrible before he showed up they wrestlef#$ked everyone. He showed up and they started KO'ing people left and right. They should have worked out a deal where he still came for periods of time and maybe in a striking only not head coach role. Or that should head wagons east and to CO to train with him. They need a cerebral coach these guy specialize in getting and losing title shots. They need someone to get them over the jump.
4/3/14 5:28 PM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DJmixmasterMobbie -
stevekt - One thing that bothered me was that most cornermen wore their fighter's shirt but Ludwig often wore his own BANG shirt. Phone Post 3.0

agreed
Thought I was the only one who noticed that. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 6:19 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

braidedgooch - Hurts my head to think that Bang would need Team Alpha Male to get exposure. Phone Post 3.0

pretty much this. I knew some guys from Bang's gym and they would always talk about how talented he is and how he made them infinitely better in just a few WEEKS working with the guy. Did "alpha male" get him more exposure? Sure. But to say that he was using them for such is ridiculous IMO.

There's more to this story FOR SURE.
4/3/14 6:31 PM
Bick Koxer
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seem like reasonable comments under the circumstances. I wouldn't say the California Kid is coming off as butthurt at all. Butt chin, yes. Butt hurt, no. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 6:41 PM
CaptChaos
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
What huge difference did he make? Mendes and Dillishaw beat a bunch of very overmatched guys. Faber and Benavidez continued to smash everyone but the champs same as they have for years.

Faber is being pretty reasonable imo. They've been doing this at a really high level for a long time, continued fighting at that high level and now are back to trying to find a coach to get them over the hump after the previous guy got all of the credit for the success they had over the last year or so. That's got to suck Phone Post 3.0

The fighters gave Bang the credit. I never heard fighters give an individual coach so much praise after their post fight interviews than they did with Ludwig. I never heard Bang bragging or boasting that he was the reason for the success.

We weren't in the gym but from what I heard and read Bang made a huge difference.

I don't think word was supposed to get out as fast as it did and I think Bang wasn't 100% happy that Uriah came out with the news so soon.

I don't see Uriah and Bang being negative towards each other. They are both classy guys.
4/3/14 6:43 PM
gokudamus

Bang would have gotten no exposure or bad exposure if he didnt make the changes he did...pay that man his money uriah

4/3/14 7:45 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem13 -

That's exactly what it sounds like. Phone Post 3.0
4/4/14 1:25 AM
HarryPalms
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -  Bang's gym won't put out contenders like Team Alpha Male. TAM always had good records and was established before Bang. The guy seemed like a weirdo on JRE. Phone Post

Couldn't disagree more. Their whole team showed huge leaps in striking technique under his coaching and that traslated directly to better records and bigger opportunities.

You're crazy to think other fighters weren't paying attention and will be heading out to put in time with him at his gym.

Anyone know TAMs overall record for the duration of Bang being head coach and their record the 12-18 months previous?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.