UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White on Shields: "He's never going to be the guy"

4/7/14 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad but true...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-cutting-jake-shields--ufc-takes-a-page-out-of-nfl-s-playbook-203152661-mma.html

"Mixed martial arts is a young man's game," White said. "I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this [welterweight] division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy [expletive].' Right now, at this point, he's just another guy.

"All of the people who had been [expletive] and moaning to me about Jon Fitch when he was fighting for us and were complaining that he was so boring, they all got outraged when we cut him. And it's like the same thing now with Jake. Well, the media didn't even think he was good enough to be in the Top 10." Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:20 PM
Brigham
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He isn't wrong... Phone Post
4/7/14 8:22 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate when Dana makes sense Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:22 PM
OMC 6000
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That'll leave a mark. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:23 PM
PrestigeWorldwide

Can someone embed the link? I'm on my phone... Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:25 PM
BeauTown
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy got Victorys but man try were boring and ineffective I'm happy he is out Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:26 PM
Jesus Cannons
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:30 PM
ABE FROMAN

And yet Hendo will get a title shot if he beats Cormier.

lol

4/7/14 8:32 PM
PisoMojado
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Cannons - So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
If Lombard beats Hendrix then what does that say about Lombards legitimacy?? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:34 PM
Loxly
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake's better than all these guys i've never heard of on fight pass and undercards.

Jake makes too much money in the eyes of UFC
4/7/14 8:35 PM
Tommyunited

TriumphUnited.com, MarketingCoordinator
ABE FROMAN -

And yet Hendo will get a title shot if he beats Cormier.

lol

Hendo has a punchers chance Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:36 PM
Rob San Soo

Typical promoter Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:41 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unreal.

Shields could beat almost anyone in that WW on any night.

Look forward to the day Dana White is not the face of MMA.

4/7/14 8:41 PM
invertedmatrixpassKC

Hopefully Jake will use this as motivation to kill it where ever he goes. He has plenty of talent, maybe a new chapter will be exactly what he need to reestablish himself in mma. He wasn't the most exciting fighter but I will always remember the fights where he proved he was more than just one dimensional. The hendo fight showed he could hang with the top 10 and I believe he will come out of this a stronger and well rounded fighter. His bjj is still on another level.
4/7/14 8:43 PM
Endowedwelter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PisoMojado -
Jesus Cannons - So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
If Lombard beats Hendrix then what does that say about Lombards legitimacy?? Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:45 PM
shaqitup
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"never going to be the guy" is the dumbest fucking reason.

I could clean out 95% of the UFC roster with that logic.
4/7/14 8:47 PM
MexiCain AmeriCain
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He just the number 2 ranked guy In that division of "animals" and he would Rory too... Phone Post 3.0
rnunz
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana should be the judge on American Idol Phone Post 3.0
MexiCain AmeriCain
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^beat Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:50 PM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson beat Cote then Patrick got cut two fights after, what does that say about Anderson's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:51 PM
AndrewMcCoy031

Honestly I'm glad I'm tired of paying to watch thay guy avoid fighting at all cost...he should go straight into the grappling circuit and compete there. He had never show a desire to ever improve his striking, and all of his wins are painfully boring to watch. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 8:51 PM
comeonman1
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is right for the most part but I think this move is great for Shields. He could win a title in most other organizations and people will want to watch him fight plus he will make decent money. Also, alot of good fun fights for him out there that people will want to watch. Everytime the UFC cuts decent fighter's it just makes other organizations more fun to watch.

4/7/14 8:54 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, looking forward to an EPIC Nick Diaz rant on why this is bullshit.

Get on it, homie.
4/7/14 9:12 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of guys are never going to be "the guy". This is a shit excuse for letting top guys go while unevolved stand and wang guys are kept around. It makes it really hard to take the sport seriously when things like this happen.

I'm not a fan of Jake but I can appreciate the challenge he poses to the top fighters.
4/7/14 9:13 PM
Koga

Adding insult to injury, DFW keeping it classy as always. How about, "Jake Shields fought for the UFC for the last 3 years against top opponents, including a title fight v GSP that had the biggest gate of any UFC in history. While we have made the difficult decision to release Jake, I wish him well in his future career." Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.