UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> How good is your knife defense?

4/17/14 7:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Triangle Smoke
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sicko - I thought he was using two knives to stab people. That changes up the situation because you can't do something like sacrifice an arm and attempt to take him out.

Fortunately I have an increased chance of survival because of my natural inclination to flee while throwing smaller weaker victims at the would be attacker.

....I feel bad making a lame joke when people really died. RIP people
Ya I would, considering two of our homies are dead and we can never jam with them again.

Were pretty crushed up here, it's hard to play music these days without thinking about this.

Please, joke some more about how my two friends died in the worst way imaginable because I love hearing it more than reading about it on the national paper, the news, the OG.

Fuck this guy, hope he rots in jail.

RIP Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 8:31 AM
nottheface
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a house, assuming I wasn't blind sided, I think every day household objects would give me a good chance. At the very least I'd pull my EDC knife and take him to hell with me.
4/17/14 8:52 AM
ShawnTheBadger
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good responses in this thread.

I don't drink.  Which would help.

If blindsided, absolutely snuck-on, and the first victim, and he struck well, I'd be toast.

If I was not the first victim as above, then one or both of us would die, but we'd be scrappin'.  Me with one or both EDC's and any impromptu weapons with which I could get creative. 

I'd be fully prepared to die in order to take the dude out.  I cannot imagine a finer way to go.

RIP those youngsters that died.  I don't think I am looking at green-names, ex-military, power lifters, former college wrestlers, black-belts, general dudes-who-trane, and crusty old bouncers in those pics.  Innocent looking kids, the whole lot of them.

Fucking tragic.

4/17/14 8:58 AM
ShawnTheBadger
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triangle Smoke - 
sicko - I thought he was using two knives to stab people. That changes up the situation because you can't do something like sacrifice an arm and attempt to take him out.

Fortunately I have an increased chance of survival because of my natural inclination to flee while throwing smaller weaker victims at the would be attacker.

....I feel bad making a lame joke when people really died. RIP people
Ya I would, considering two of our homies are dead and we can never jam with them again.

Were pretty crushed up here, it's hard to play music these days without thinking about this.

Please, joke some more about how my two friends died in the worst way imaginable because I love hearing it more than reading about it on the national paper, the news, the OG.

Fuck this guy, hope he rots in jail.

RIP Phone Post 3.0

Triangle Smoke, sorry for your loss.

4/17/14 9:07 AM
Eisenberg
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously there is nothing you can do if he chooses you as his first victim. Youd have no reason to suspect that would happen, I think he was one of their friends? At least they knew him.

But I voted for overpowering him with other guys. It really depends on wether or not the others are scared. I know I would try to stop him, but others might freeze. Thing is, 1v1 with him having a big kitchen knife I dont really like my chances unless I can get my hands on a chair or whatever. But 3 dudes who are not scared can disarm him no problem, someone just has to be willing to get cut.

4/17/14 9:12 AM
phydeau
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

groundfighter2000 - Knives are some scary shit, Dog Brothers - Die Less Often illustrated how fucking hard it is to deal with a knife, even when you have a gun.

No lie. A determined knife fighter WILL cut you. If he catches you off guard then he's gonna cut you BAD.

I'd get cut. I'd maybe ever take a fatal wound.

And if I was at that party by myself, and didn't give a shit about anyone else there, I'd probably pussy out and run like a bitch.

But if I was at the party with a loved one, wife/girlfriend/close friend, Mr. Knife Guy would eat a magazine full of .45 ACP hollow points.
4/17/14 9:21 AM
phydeau
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Triangle Smoke, sorry for your loss"

QFT
4/17/14 9:22 AM
Trust
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, L.L.C., Moderator

That is terrible all the way around.  Realistically, no matter what your training is, in that situation with your guard down, if you are the first victim, you getting injured badly.  After that, unless you have had a lot of stress training, and aren't intoxicated, good luck.  

Any word on what motivated him?  Was he on prescription psych meds or something? 

4/17/14 9:36 AM
JGooch
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If i go may it be on a pile of brass and empty magazines
4/17/14 9:57 AM
ryanJ
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I chose "other" because my honest answer is that I have no idea...I have some training, I carry a knife and usually a gun, I believe I would put everything I have in to defending myself and others...but really, who knows....I trip and fall, I could be fucked, I get surprised, I could be fucked etc...

I also always hate to say "I would have done X,Y,Z" because I always feel a little like Marky Mark being a douche re: 9-11.  Really sad that all those young people got killed...I can't imagine the burden on their parents. 

4/17/14 10:15 AM
IgnorantDeadline

I'm tall and have long, orangutan arms.. so that would help.

The only chance i see having is sacrificing left arm and go for a situation changing strike or trying to disarm after the limb sacrifice.

Zero experience in that situation and I'd expect it would not end well for me.

4/17/14 10:17 AM
Wahlau
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No idea

I have 2 ex-BJJ student (older 60+ year old brothers) who fended off a mechete attack from 5 attackers with a broomsticks when their shop was attacked. Attempted robbery.

Minor slashes, no serious wounds.

Serious balls, but these guys are old school.

That being said, its a robbery. So the mentality of the attacker may be just to find a weak victim, and if the victim fought hard it wasn't worth it.
4/17/14 12:24 PM
hubris
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's gonna be hard to defend against something like this

4/17/14 12:27 PM
hubris
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/17/14 12:27 PM
hubris

4/17/14 12:36 PM
Mencken
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget that this was at like 1:30 am after an all day drinking event.  The attacker was sober, and the victims had be partying all day.  

4/17/14 12:45 PM
not_sure
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks to altofsky gettin better Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 12:52 PM
jcblass

I voted, there is no defense. However, as a 3rd party, if I saw a young boy/teen stabbing someone else, and could get an attack in without being seen (because his back is to me and he is occupied stabbing others) I may have a better chance to blind side, control and disarm.

However, one on one, squared up against someone with a knife, I would say you have about a 10% chance of survival. JKD great Paul Vunak would often give novices an oversized magic marker and have a "skilled" Martial Artists attempt to disarm them. 9/10 times the unarmed MA was covered in black ink and slashes.

It just isn't like the movies, and the blade is dangerous from so many positions. Unlike a gun, which even in LEO situations, often results in more misses than hits, a knife is cutting at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fPL4f3Eqc - DOG BROTHERS KNIFE VIDEO ILLUSTRATING MYTHS
4/17/14 12:55 PM
Curtis_E_Bare
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Screaming "I have AIDS!" is a good knife defense right?

4/17/14 1:02 PM
Lofland
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the chair suggestion, that might improve my chances from zero to at least slim. If you could get two guys with chairs, that might really help things. I would think it would be really hard to get other guys to help when everyone was drunk and oblivious to any danger.

It would be interesting to see a Dog Brothers type of fight between a guy with a practice knife and a guy with a chair.
4/17/14 1:03 PM
comeacrossclean
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
4/17/14 1:06 PM
hubris

some house hold items you could use:

4/17/14 1:08 PM
hubris

4/17/14 1:18 PM
jimmy23
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShawnTheBadger - 

Good responses in this thread.

I don't drink.  Which would help.

If blindsided, absolutely snuck-on, and the first victim, and he struck well, I'd be toast.

If I was not the first victim as above, then one or both of us would die, but we'd be scrappin'.  Me with one or both EDC's and any impromptu weapons with which I could get creative. 

I'd be fully prepared to die in order to take the dude out.  I cannot imagine a finer way to go.

RIP those youngsters that died.  I don't think I am looking at green-names, ex-military, power lifters, former college wrestlers, black-belts, general dudes-who-trane, and crusty old bouncers in those pics.  Innocent looking kids, the whole lot of them.

Fucking tragic.

in my opinion, which is just that, I doubt any of those kids realized they were in a life or death situation at first. And when they did, shock set in, as that is something most people never face and dont expect to, thank god

if the killer was in a full frenzy, and they had no idea or experience, I can see how five died. My guess is he did a lot more stabbing than slashing and sort of knew where to aim his blows. 

If you turn the switch on, go full force immediately, you'd be surprised what you can take - even blows that will be fatal, given some time, can be ignored when the adrenaline is pumping. I knew a guy who was alegit street fighting bad ass, he got ambushed and stabbed to shit, and he beat the hell of the guy who attacked him. The attacker ran, the bad ass chased him but passed out because his lung had been punctured. 

Two guys, or more, who can react that like and know how to do damage can win in that situation. Even one guy can if the dice roll his way. But in a civilized world, most folks simply will not be able to react before they are seriously injured

RIP to the victims

4/17/14 1:19 PM
Whitetrashcrash

This will result in more edc of knives here in Calgary. Knife carry usually comes down to intent as far as legality goes - you can carry a 12" blade on your hip if its for cutting rope - you cannot carry a swiss army folder if you intend to use it as a weapon.

Not saying it would've helped, but I'd much rather be at least as well armed as my attacker Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.