UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Your most epic victory in training. Free bragging

7/30/14 10:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody knows the BJJ code of etiquette that what happens in training stays in training however this thread allows you to break that code. Please no names though i.e. I put Marcelo Garcia to sleep etc.

My epic moment was during a king of the mat drill when I was a 2 stripe white belt. I was in a brown belt's guard (this guy 10lbs heavier than me) and trying to pass him while he was trying to sweep me. I was totally on that day both physically and mentally and he couldn't do anything to me for a solid 7-8 minutes (we were the 1st round pairings so he can't use tired as an excuse).

I still recall that moment vividly as I was mentally sharp and determined not to get swept at any cost and defending his every move proactively. I almost passed his guard on a couple of occasions as well. I could see the BB instructor leering over from time to time with the corner of his eye to see what was giving the brown belt fits. Time expired and we called it a draw. The brown belt did not give me my props as he was frustrated and ashamed.

At the end of the class, the instructor awarded some people stripes and gave me my 3rd stripe white pretty sure he was impressed by my epic performance!

7/30/14 11:22 PM
checkuroil
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Los Angeles, CA
I was a brown belt playing a king of the mat drill. I had pneumonia and staph. There was rugs white belt I was toying with when suddenly i realized I had a great teaching moment. So I let the kid pass my guard. Phone Post 3.0
7/31/14 12:13 AM
Soul Gravy

First rule of rolling is you do not talking about what happens rolling.
7/31/14 12:16 AM
ilovetortillas
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
checkuroil - I was a brown belt playing a king of the mat drill. I had pneumonia and staph. There was rugs white belt I was toying with when suddenly i realized I had a great teaching moment. So I let the kid pass my guard. Phone Post 3.0
Well played. VTFU!! Phone Post 3.0
7/31/14 4:18 AM
ozjiujitsu
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tapped a guy once. On my first day. Using rubber guard. Everyone cheered. It was a pretty special moment. Phone Post 3.0
7/31/14 5:30 PM
shen
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Torrance, CA

I was rolling with this one dude and totally almost sweeped him -- like it was like SOOOOO close he just BARELY prevented it. I seriously almost had him.

It was an awesome feeling!

7/31/14 5:36 PM
TheBearStare
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i put marcelo garcia to sleep
7/31/14 5:44 PM
whohitsu

Edited: 07/31/14 5:45 PM
thread killa.
7/31/14 6:16 PM
judodoc

Trane, unless you're joking, you are a complete idiot.
7/31/14 6:19 PM
Christophr

One day in class, when no-one was looking, I came SO close to submitting a blue belt -- a blue belt!
7/31/14 6:26 PM
liuk3
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So sad when people are too stupid to realize when an advanced belt is playing around and/or lets you get a sub.
7/31/14 6:47 PM
Tboney8669
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liuk3 - So sad when people are too stupid to realize when an advanced belt is playing around and/or lets you get a sub.
Wait...so you're saying I didn't really sub that brown belt?!? Bro, I whack off to that moment! Phone Post 3.0
7/31/14 6:52 PM
liuk3
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tboney8669 - 
liuk3 - So sad when people are too stupid to realize when an advanced belt is playing around and/or lets you get a sub.
Wait...so you're saying I didn't really sub that brown belt?!? Bro, I whack off to that moment! Phone Post 3.0

LOL.
8/1/14 11:30 AM
The Popeye
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best moment was when rolling with Marcello Garcia.

I was a brown belt at the time, he put me on my back and was on top cross body.

I managed to get out and to turtle position then he tried to trap my arm and I rolled him over onto his back. He had my arm trapped between but I was not worried. Then he arm barred me.......

I went several years thinking Damn I was doing good till he caught me with that tricky ass arm bar then one day I am going through videos on Youtube and I find the following.
8/1/14 11:31 AM
The Popeye
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is EXACTLY how it went down.....SOB played me like a fucking fiddle!

But damn it was awesome to see a technique actually play out 100% by the book.
8/1/14 11:33 AM
The Popeye

at the 9:30 sec mark was how I met my end.
8/1/14 11:51 AM
Five Year Blue Belt

A visiting purple belt is at our school when I was a 18 month white belt.    The black belt calls out the pairings as we start rolling in the competition class.   

Instead of pairing the visiting guy with another purple or higher belt.  The black belt has me roll with the guy first off.  As we go I notice that he does not have much.    I take his back after about two minutes and then get the head and arm choke.  

Black belt gave me the nod.  But we never talked about it.   The purple barely made it thru the 90 minutes.  Maybe the guy was really on vacation.  Who knows and not really a big deal......

8/1/14 5:56 PM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
The best time for me was... Wait, I have respect for the people whom I train with and wouldn't plaster training stories all over the internet. Stay classy... Phone Post 3.0
8/1/14 6:08 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess for me (it's pathetic), but the first time I rolled 1 hour straight . . .
8/1/14 6:17 PM
LordSeano
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I once farted from knee on stomach but totally played it off as a cough and no-one noticed.

Victory!
8/1/14 6:18 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a 3rd-degree black belt offered to roll with me, and I told him to start on my back with hooks in.

the only victories in training are victories over your self.
8/1/14 6:57 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Mancuso - The best time for me was... Wait, I have respect for the people whom I train with and wouldn't plaster training stories all over the internet. Stay classy... Phone Post 3.0

Don't be pompous, he's not naming anyone, he's celebrating a success in training by discussing them on a discussion forum.
8/1/14 9:52 PM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rolled with a big purple when I was a white belt and we had a good roll that neither "won" he complemented my skills after the roll. At that point was the best feeling I had in Jiu Jitsuz Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 12:29 AM
flemingo
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first real victory in training is the one that sticks with me. After getting thoroughly beaten for three weeks of training a new guy joined. We were paired up. Choke him 6 times in a three minute roll. Convinced me to stick with training
8/2/14 1:12 AM
GenericAmerican
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only been training in a gi for a few months and I've been having a hell of a time with collar chokes. I had a moment last week where a guy had me in his open guard, and he grabbed both collars, then was trying to bait me into passing his guard so he could finish the choke. I realized he was so focused on letting me pass his guard that he wasn't prepared for me to just hop forward over both his legs and land in mount.

It wasn't an amazing move, it was more that I quickly realized the setup that I had fallen for several other times and reacted without having to think about it much.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.