UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> School me on Ryan Hall.

8/5/14 12:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris Leben is a Zombie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know the pizza fight.
I know he was part of TLI

Why did he leave TLI?
What's his style like?
Any training stories?
Does he still compete?
Etc. Etc Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 12:25 PM
os3y3ris
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hall likes inverted shots, spinning triangles, spinning leg locks. Very dynamic, almost hybrid style, with a touch of sambo. Pretty decent guy.
8/5/14 12:27 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blinks a lot.
8/5/14 12:30 PM
GaspareBJJ
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

os3y3ris - Hall likes inverted shots, spinning triangles, spinning leg locks. Very dynamic, almost hybrid style, with a touch of sambo. Pretty decent guy.
Only decent? Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 12:37 PM
os3y3ris

He's just like anyone else. He's not a saint. That whole image is interesting. Hall told you guys not to hero worship and then everyone started worshipping Hall.
8/5/14 1:27 PM
brendan raedy

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
Chris Leben is a Zombie - I know the pizza fight.
I know he was part of TLI

Why did he leave TLI?
What's his style like?
Any training stories?
Does he still compete?
Etc. Etc Phone Post 3.0

You can find the answer to all of your questions at this link.

8/5/14 1:49 PM
Cory Dee

I haven't seen him compete in BJJ in a while, but he has fought MMA as recently as 31 May 14. He's 4-0 or 4-1 depending on which database you look at, but I've heard that his losing fight in 2006 was an amateur fight that got mis-reported on his record.

http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/37328-ryan-hall
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/BD18FB319B54B589/Ryan-Hall/
8/5/14 1:54 PM
GongandDash
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed to Titan Fc as he pursues MMA, seems like he has a great BJJ school. Very interesting and opinionated guy. Has a real knack for producing great instructional DVDs. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 2:03 PM
Drew Foster
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's mostly doing MMA these days and runs a gym in Northern VA called 50/50 (http://5050bjj.com). He's very well known in the grappling community for making great instructionals, and he has 7 or 8 DVD sets. He used to compete all the time, but I think he's mostly focused on MMA since the 2011 ADCC.

I think he's got a great mind for understanding fighting, and he teaches in a very conceptual and "physics-based" manner. That's the best way I can explain it. If you're interested you should check out some of his DVD sets (http://www.groundfighter.com/Ryan-Hall-Instructional-DVDs). My favorite ones are the back attacks, guard passing, and arm triangles sets.

I've visited 50/50 to train a handful of times, and I was honestly terrible at jiu-jitsu the first few times I visited back in '09/'10. I wasn't giving anyone solid training at that point, but even so I was always treated very well by he and everyone else at his academy. I still visit a few times a year and I always feel like a welcome guest.

Between his DVDs, taking classes at his academy, and rolling with him, I've gotten details that have definitely improved my game significantly.

He's got a very versatile game and I can't remember many matches he won that weren't by submission.
8/5/14 2:07 PM
green_machine
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know him personally but I think his instructionals are the best out there. Has a very analytical mind and I think that shows in his videos.

There's stories out there that say he's a dick and he did threaten to slap JoshJitsu once. I've bumped into him a couple of times and chatted briefly and thought he was nice enough.

I know he travels up to Tri-Star in Montreal to train MMA. I remember a few years back he affiliated with Marcrelo then never heard about it again; anyone know what became of that? Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 2:41 PM
jasonhightower
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He just had elbow surgery this morning and is hoping to compete in MMA again in October.

8/5/14 3:06 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He LOVES haggling and sometimes will give out discounts on training and other merch if you ask.
8/5/14 4:00 PM
RobertKipness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His school's gi's are worth a lot of money on eBay lol.
8/5/14 5:36 PM
ECM
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo Scott - He LOVES haggling and sometimes will give out discounts on training and other merch if you ask.
Lol Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 6:22 PM
onyx2002
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still can't find video of his most recent mma victory. Love heelhooks especially in mma.
8/5/14 6:41 PM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
Judo Scott - He LOVES haggling and sometimes will give out discounts on training and other merch if you ask.

LOL

Dude is the best teacher out there IMO. 

8/5/14 9:35 PM
Open Mat Radio
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.openmatradio.com/?tag=ryan-hall

Some interviews we did with Ryan and Seph plus his Expert's Corner vid are all at the above link.

8/5/14 11:58 PM
Ridgeback

Seems to be approaching an MMA career by building his ring experience.  I hope he appears in the UFC when he is still in his prime.

He is easily one of the top teachers on video instructionals.  You can tell he is sharing everything and the details he gives reveals that he either unerstands the sport a much higher level, or a lot of instructionals are leavign those details out. 

8/6/14 12:07 AM
RocknRolla

good guy, blinks too much
8/6/14 12:23 AM
TLM378
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't follow sport BJJ (or really BJJ in general much anymore), are any of his students competing and doing well?
8/6/14 12:32 AM
ozjiujitsu
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couple of guys I know watched his triangle DVD. They all seem to be triangling people extremely well. Physics based teaching style is a good way to explain it from what I've heard.

Anytime somebody gives me shit about inverting I use Ryan hall as an example. Dude is 4 - 0 and a pioneer butt scooter. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:34 AM
ozjiujitsu
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In saying that he definetly doesn't butt scoot or play inverted guard in mma. He practices the jiu jitsu that is applicable to mma. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:55 AM
whiteponey

ElPulpo - Blinks a lot.
Hahaha Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:50 PM
Gward is good

Makes the best instructional DVDs in the business.
8/6/14 3:36 PM
narsil x anduril
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saw him fight an MMA bout in charlotte back in march, he destroyed the guy he fought.

his arm triangle dvd is incredible.

strong swimmer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.