UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Inequalities in America

3/14/07 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TolsmaFCF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-07

This is a little assignment I have in a sociology class and I figured this fourm could help. Assuming America is a place in which inequalities exist, give evidence of it. In other words, find empirical "facts" that show there is inequality in America. That means, find the actual evidence that is NOT anectdotal (individuals' personal stories) that support a position that there is racism, classism, and sexism in America. Now, use two of the three theories (conflict, functionalism, or symbolic interaction) to help explain the existence of inequalities. So, this means, first, convince your reader that there are inequalities and then try to explain them using the new paradigms in sociology to help understand why we have them. Any assistance on this would be appreciated....
3/15/07 12:57 PM
Giorgos

Edited: 15-Mar-07
I have read somewhere that for the same crimes, black americans are on average sentenced/punished a lot more than white americans. I don't know the figures though. You can probably google this and find some actual sources I guess.
5/2/07 5:10 PM
DirkH
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-May-07
Here a few unfair inequalites I am 5'8" tall, while my brother is 5'11" I only make $50k a year while Bill Gates makes $10 million. I have trouble loosing weight, while the guy in the office next to me has Greek/Roman abs. I cannot play basketball as well as Michel Jordan. I suppose the "correct" thing to do to fix these glaring inequalities is to have a government program of some sort. Inequalities are not inheretnly evil. NOBODY (stasticly speaking, maybe a few) is hungry, homeless, or unemployed except by choice.
5/6/07 2:50 PM
Esteban Barragan

Edited: 06-May-07
^^^ Not in this country. The financial intelligence of most Americans is very poor leading.
5/16/07 11:44 AM
jkrewko

Edited: 16-May-07
this may or may not help. im also paraphrasing this and could be off. i read somewhere that in 1950 african americans made 51 cents on a dollar compared to their white counter parts and in the year 2000 it was still very close to the same. from an economic standpoint this seems unequal. i could be wrong but im assuming that its not because blacks are "lazy" hope this helps
5/16/07 11:20 PM
DirkH
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-07
"i read somewhere that in 1950 african americans made 51 cents on a dollar compared to their white counter parts and in the year 2000 it was still very close to the same" Man I'm not buying it, not at all. If blacks make less at a company it is typically because they are doing a different job, this applies even more so to women. I used to work for a heat and air company. The men made more money than the women, the difference is the men did hard, sweaty, work in attics, while the women answered the phones, scheduled appointments, etc. Now, if you were really wanting to be intellectually dishonest you could say "oh my God, women working in the heat and air business only make 75% of what the men make" BUT they weren't doing the same work and you, and they, know it. Everyplace I've ever worked, Black guys made the same money as White guys, for the same job. Now, if you want to claim that Black don't get promoted, therefore don't get to do the same jobs as Whites, that is a different argument all together, and a case could be made for it. Maybe the case would be a strong one, maybe not, but it would be a reasonable argument. I think BubbleBass said it best "This begins with a false premise that IF there are ineqalities in America that they are caused by racism/classism/sexism. Back to when I did heat and air, the reason women didn't do the same jobs as the men was because.....THEY DIDN'T WANT TOO!!!! I would have loved for some of those fat asses to get up in a 120 degree attic or crawl under a house all coverd in fiberglass, just once. They would have made more money, but again, they didn't want to do it.
5/17/07 8:17 AM
jkrewko

Edited: 17-May-07
you could be right but im pretty sure white guys make more money then blacks and babes. considering blacks were slaves not all that long ago and women couldnt vote till the early 1900's , i am assuming there is someting going on could be wrong, who knows im too lazy to look for stats i'd like to hear what the kid with the research paper found out FACT-FAT PEOPLE MAKE LESS MONEY
5/18/07 8:38 PM
DirkH

Edited: 18-May-07
"considering blacks were slaves not all that long ago and women couldnt vote till the early 1900's " Nobody has been a slave in the U.S. in 142 years! That means there are only a hand full of people in this country whose GRANDPARENTS were slaves, even for the first year of their life. Any difference in wages today, is due to what is going on TODAY culturally, not something that ended 142 years ago.
7/4/07 10:30 PM
Respect

Edited: 04-Jul-07
Yeah because 142 years ago slavery ended. You dont think that has ANYTHING to do with what is going on culturally TODAY? Seriously are you that sheltered?
7/4/07 10:45 PM
Respect

Edited: 04-Jul-07
This sounds like almost every white, middle class, christian I talk to. Yeah so what we enslaved your race, that was like a 100 years ago! Things are even now get over it! To the American native, so what we went on a genocidal rampage and stole most of your land, that was SSOOO long ago! Things are even now! We had the goodwill and genersity to wipe the slate clean. All these minorities need to get over there problems, and just get a job!
7/5/07 12:46 PM
DirkH

Edited: 05-Jul-07
"This sounds like almost every white, middle class, christian I talk to....All these minorities need to get over there problems, and just get a job!" Have you even remotely considered the posibility that perhaps these white, middle class christians you talk to are.....CORRECT?!?!? I didn't say things are "even" now. I just said that conditions in society today for both black and white communities are more dependent on what was taught and what values were instilled one generation ago than what happened over a century ago. Yes, white people I am distantly related to did horrible things to black, brown, and red men. I didn't do it. Get off my case about it. The important thing for people of every race is to look at where you are now, and what you are going to do about it. Sitting on your ass whining aint gonna help. You can go to any trailer park full of white trailer trash and find people who will never amount to anything because it never occured to them that they have more control over their lives than "the man".
7/5/07 7:31 PM
Respect

Edited: 05-Jul-07
"more dependent on what was taught and what values were instilled one generation ago" Dude are you fucking serious? You dont think there are parents right now passing on the message from there granny "dont trust whitey!" "Yes, white people I am distantly related to did horrible things to black, brown, and red men. I didn't do it. Get off my case about it." No one is on your case about it. The fact is that your government pretty much fucked over any minority they could. You might have to pay for the sins of your fathers. "You can go to any trailer park full of white trailer trash and find people who will never amount to anything because it never occured to them that they have more control over their lives than "the man"." Alot of poor people lack profitable job skills and were raised in shitty families. Its not that they blame the "man", its that they are trying to express there anger at the system. The very same system that you love and adore. The same system that lets you live with an incredibly high standard of living compared to the rest of the world. Things are not even in America. For fucks sakes fourty odd years ago it was an OVERTLY racist nation!
7/6/07 10:27 AM
DirkH

Edited: 06-Jul-07
"Its not that they blame the "man", its that they are trying to express there anger at the system." Expressing anger at what 'system'? The same system that offered them free education in which they refused to partake 'cause they wanted to drop out of school. The 'system' that has un unemployment rate of about 4.5% (one of the lowest in the world) and a median household income of $42k a year (not the higest in the world, but in the top 10 or 20). Is this the 'system' they hate so much? When some one steals your computer to buy crack or meth, they are NOT expessing anger at any "system". They are pieces of human garbage. They are people who were never taught to live as men but are instead living as animals. We shoot rabid dogs don't we? "Dude are you fucking serious? You dont think there are parents right now passing on the message from there granny "dont trust whitey!" " Ummmm, thanks for making my case for me. As you said "PARENTS passing on the message from their granny" I stand by my statement that conditions in society today for both black and white communities are more dependent on what was taught and what values were instilled one generation ago than what happened over a century ago. When people never try hard to achieve anything it is because they have been taugh, wrongly so that they are not in control of their destiny. Now who taught them that, their parents and contemporaries or a guy they never met who died 100 years ago? Yes you are right. America was an overtly racist nation only 40 years ago. Now it's covertly racist. That didn't stop hundereds of blacks from becoming millionaires and millions from having a higher standard of living than in 90% of the rest of the world. "Things are not even in America." True, but so what? There is the opportunity to make a decent life for yourself in America with just a little application of thought and effort. "You might have to pay for the sins of your fathers." Yeah, we do. But is that fair?
7/11/07 12:15 AM
Respect

Edited: 11-Jul-07
""You might have to pay for the sins of your fathers." Yeah, we do. But is that fair?" -So I guess things are not equal in America, eh?
7/12/07 7:45 PM
Respect

Edited: 12-Jul-07
"Ummmm, thanks for making my case for me. As you said "PARENTS passing on the message from their granny" I stand by my statement that conditions in society today for both black and white communities are more dependent on what was taught and what values were instilled one generation ago than what happened over a century ago." -- And whos values were instilled upon a persons parents? Maybe there parents... Your case is flawed. If your system is so great, why are your inner cities decaying? Why do you have such a high rate of incarceration? Why do you have such a high murder rate? So the system is not responsible for these people at all? They are just "pieces of human garbage"? That doesnt sound very equal to me. You have obviously never seen a crooked cop in your life. You have never been targeted driving late at night because your colored. Have you ever been called a suspicious person when your walking down the street? Its okay to loose this arguement though, no place in the world is equal. Ugly parts of the system: http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/9712/exsump1.htm#II. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46RI2twVao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A--iigX27Q What produced this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A--iigX27Q
7/13/07 9:52 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 13-Jul-07
Do you mean inequality or inequity? It sounds like the question is about inequity. Examples of inequality are too numerous to mention, but as has been pointed out, may be completely benign. The distinction is very important. Noone claims everyone should be equal (unless they're sloppy with language), just that everyone should be treated equitably.
2/5/08 7:00 PM
Jenny Wishbone
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-08 02:50 AM
From: DirkH Date: 05/02/07 05:13 PM Member Since: 01/01/2001 1297 Total Posts Ignore User Here a few unfair inequalites I am 5'8" tall, while my brother is 5'11" I only make $50k a year while Bill Gates makes $10 million. I have trouble loosing weight, while the guy in the office next to me has Greek/Roman abs. I cannot play basketball as well as Michel Jordan. I suppose the "correct" thing to do to fix these glaring inequalities is to have a government program of some sort. Inequalities are not inheretnly evil. NOBODY (stasticly speaking, maybe a few) is hungry, homeless, or unemployed except by choice. ***************************************************** I don't want to be drawn into another inequality debate. I will say that inequality has been proven time and again to be structural in nature. While it's true that individuals (particularly where there's the possibility of upward mobility) can change their circumstances and that we are born to some degree with abilities that can translate into certain social advantages, it is not true that patterns of inequality such as homelessness are caused by individual "choice" (e.g., laziness, lack of hard work, etc). Patterns of inequality transcend geographical boundaries and history. The common denominator is the stratification systems that exist in every society, and that lead to haves and have nots and consequent disparities in wealth, power, and access over resources.
2/7/08 1:46 AM
thesleeper

Edited: 07-Feb-08
Go look at some recent poverty statistics in the U.S. In comparison to the rest of the world, you would never guess that we have the largest economy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.