UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> What Would You Do?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/10/02 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hissho
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-02

Hostage stand off in Portland: Guys rob a store at gunpoint. Cops show, they run. One guy gets caught, the other guy invades a home and takes mom and 20 yr old Junior at gunpoint. Dad is upstairs, hears the commotion, and "can tell from the sound of mom's voice that the guy is armed," so he beats feet out a second story window to go a neighbors and call the police. Mom and Junior are eventually released and bad guy gives up to the cops. The famiy is reunited.
10/11/02 1:31 PM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 11-Oct-02
It's difficult to answer this without being an armchair quarterback. Actually being involved in the incident will create emotions that will both effect what you think you would do and what you would actually do. The answer lies in how you have prepared yourself though your own training; have you created a personal directive, isolated and replicated chains of the scenario identifying murphy moments, done emotional climate training, and studied the cycle of behavior? Once you've evaluated and done all of this, you may be able to forsee what you could do, but would you actually be able to do it? Sean Mulligan BTS LEO Training Team sean@tonyblauer.com
10/11/02 3:57 PM
Varley

Sean , I noticed that twice in your reply you differentiate between thinking/forseeing what you would do , and the ability to actually 'do' what you're planning . [ I'm not sure I can assume that doing what I'm thinking will always provide the best results . ( by that I mean that my emotions might sway my decisions if not kept in check ) ] . However , if we undertake all the great training ideas within the Blauer curriculum you mentioned and assuming that what we're planning could indeed result in a desireable outcome , then what are the biggest factors that might derail us from going from 'thinking' to 'doing' ? If these factors aren't just the result of too little attention paid to the various items you listed , then my second question is how do we minimize these factors in training or the field so that we perform optimally ? Thanx , Var **Sean , if this will derail this discussion , let me know and I'll start a new thread .
10/11/02 4:13 PM
truewrestler
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my ignorant opinion, it sounds like the guy did the right thing. He had little information on what was going on other than realizing it was potentionally a life or death situation, so he called the police. I just feel that him doing anything could have resulted in the attacker killing a member of his family, or him. Even simply coming down stairs and showing his face could have startled the guy and set him off. He had no information on how old, large or aggitated the attacker was, what type of gun, etc etc. If someone disagrees, what would you suggest he have done? Thankfully it all worked out.
10/11/02 8:28 PM
temp152885

Edited: 11-Oct-02 08:30 PM
In this scenario, hindsight is easliy 20/20 especially with the stakes at hand. It seems easy to do so when you are not wrestling with the emotional and psychological factors of the situation. As Coach points out in his teaching ... “Never let pride or ego dictate your next strategy”. This statement appears to be especially applicable here. The end result was success. In the PDR program we learn that there the things that you control and dictate your response and allow you to access your tactics to do something: Awareness (are you aware of the problem?) Consent (Do you want to engage the problem?) Ability (Do you have the tools/skills to solve the problem?) I dont know what Dads skills are or background in handling this type of situation. Bottom line is that Dad made the correct decison here. His family is safe and the Bad Guy is gone. As a brilliant warrior once said...."In combat, only the result counts" :) Joe Mullings
10/15/02 1:07 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 15-Oct-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
WHile this story and scenario provides a lot for self analysis, all the TCMS Recipes for this have been provided within our ARCHIVES, check the PHYSIOLOGY of SURVIVAL thread in the SAVED THRDS section as an example. At the end of the day it all comes down to YOU and what we refer to in PDR speak as the THREE I s 1. INSTINCTS 2. INTUITION 3. INTELLIGENCE Tony

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.