UnderGround Forums

North Carolina Underground >> "Vote or Die" -P. Diddy

3/16/07 9:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gripit&ripit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-07

I want everybody to vote in on this little debate between me and Doc. See, Mr. Pimp gi seems to think that BJJ with the gi is like chess where as no gi BJJ is like checkers. Checkers my ass. He is clearly wrong and I just wanted to take a quick vote on how wrong he is. Maybe with the gi is like chess and no gi is like online chess, nothing to hange on to. No, forget that, no gi is harder. There is less to grab and hang on to to use to your advantage.
3/16/07 10:12 PM
hooahfighter

Edited: 16-Mar-07
Rat, I'm gonna have to agree with you. No gi would rely more on your skill in the techniques as opposed to your skill in holding on to and wrapping up your opponent in a gi. Not that I'm speaking from experience, just common sense.
3/17/07 12:03 AM
GrendelX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Mar-07
With a Gi there are allot more options just as in chess there are more options.. Checkers seems more like no gi to me..... We have to much free time and this is proof!
3/18/07 12:19 AM
themolotok

Edited: 18-Mar-07
No-Gi is like playing chess with a hangover. You know there's more options, but your head is hurting too bad to think of them. Seriously though, the Gi merely adds another layer of techniques to the mix. You're game should be based on solid No-Gi controls. You don't want to become dependent on holding onto a Gi, especially in early development. You should look for the Gi to supplement your techniques, but not depend on it.
3/19/07 7:28 AM
LDMAdoc

Edited: 19-Mar-07 06:33 AM
I can't believe it, an actual conversation about BJJ on the Underground. Anyway, I'll say this...when I say that the gi game is like chess and no-gi is checkers, I am not referring to the difficulty of the game. Personally, I find no-gi to be harder. What I am referring to is that to me, the gi game is more cerebral in that you must depend on an understanding of what reaction your move will elicit in your opponent; not that this doesn't apply in no-gi, but the margin for error is much smaller with the gi. Due to the sweat and rashguards and lycra materials versus the heavy cotton gi, it is much harder to get out of a mistake in gi than in no gi.
3/19/07 1:54 PM
HighPoint

Edited: 19-Mar-07 01:00 PM

I really like Jory's analogy of this subject - to add, the no-gi is alot faster game - typically (like checkers is to chess). 

Doc's real issue is no-gi will lead him towards MMA and he is too lazy to come in on Thursday nights :)  Also, wearing the Gi allows for him to put different patches or have cool things embroidered (like the pimp gi) as opposed to getting more tattoos with the no-gi game.

Rat doesn't like the Gi because it makes him sweat too much.  It also bothers Rat that Doc chokes him with his own gi.  Additinally, Rat has more tattoos and likes to show them off with no-gi.

3/19/07 4:04 PM
gripit&ripit

Edited: 19-Mar-07
Leave it to doc to get as deep down as the make up of the fabrics in the gi. I do believe that Mr. Snyder is right. Doc would not be as pimpin without the pretty gi and do like my tattoos. I like what Mr. Malone said about the bases of BJJ should be solid no gi controls. The gi seems to me more sport oriented and left over from long traditions in the foundations of the arts all together. I just like wearing it because it looks cool. I do hate it because I get choked out with it and I do not know how to use it to my advantage. I guess I just like rolling around with guys wearing as little clothes as possible. When all else fails, screw the gi and punch them in the face! -P.S. I will be wearing only the man panties in class from now on.
3/19/07 4:22 PM
LDMAdoc

Edited: 19-Mar-07 03:26 PM
Manpanties only eh...I guess it is time to announce my official retirement from BJJ. I tell you what, let me get better at the gi game and then I will delve into the world of half naked sweaty men rubbing their legs on my face.
3/19/07 5:30 PM
HighPoint

Why only the manpanties?  Step it up to doc and only wear your cup!!!  That will really challenge your abilities to get him in Triangle. 

I don't understand Doc's statement "get better at the gi game" - his ears, alone, show his game has got to be good. 

3/19/07 9:16 PM
HighPoint

I almost forget about this statement when it comes to the topic:

It is ALOT harder to grapple in Gi when your partner has a problem washing the Gi.  When the top smells bad, grappling becomes a whole different game.  It is amazaing how some guys don't smell bad until they put on the gi; otherwise we would just have them take a shower before class. 

My suggestion for Rat is to avoid washing the gi for a week or two and then roll w/ Doc. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.