UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Help with saltwater tanks

3/20/07 12:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
G-S-D
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-07

Well I have been thinking of setting up my own saltwater tank. I have never set one up before so I was hoping that some of those in the og experienced with this could give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I was also wondering how small of a tank should I get? Is it better to start small or should I get a bigger tank to start with? Is it better to start with certain type of fish? How the hell do I make the water salty? Basically I need to know where to start. Many thanks to the forth coming wisdom of the OG. gsd
3/20/07 12:23 AM
deach
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Mar-07 11:28 PM
start off with a big tank - at least a 55. damsels are a good starter fish. live rock, live water, and live sand will help your initial cycle. go to a store that specializes in salt water tanks (not petco or petsmart or one of those pet super store) and talk to the guys there for hours before you do anything.
3/20/07 12:59 AM
G-S-D
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

deach, What's your opinion on Nano tanks?
3/20/07 2:47 AM
dosequis

The bigger the tank, the more stable. Nano tanks are cool, but aren't usually recommended for beginners. For more info, check out reeffrontiers.com and reefcentral.com
4/15/07 11:28 PM
BigEyedFish
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Apr-07

What deach is correct 55g is a perfect place to start.  Unless you want to wait two months before you can put fish in, get live rock and if you can get someone to give you about 25 gallons of live (cycled, established) saltwater.  Always use fReverse Osmosis water when mixing in new salt or fresh water. 

When it comes to livestock you should start with damsels or even clowns and/or gobies, although beware of certain damsels, as they can be aggressive.  Stay away from fish like tangs or butterflys, since they stress too much and are prone to disease. 

This  site will help:  www.wetwebmedia.com

4/25/07 5:25 PM
FatBoyMagazine

Edited: 25-Apr-07
you dont really need liverock to speed up your cycle, you can just borrow a cup or two of live sand from a few buddies. Actually when I did my first nanoreef, I filled a small filter sock with bionoodles and left it in the coral sump for a week... bam, instant cycle. FOWLR systems are cool, but you can do Fish Only with a DSB, or just a piece of starboard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.