UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Anybody edited on G4 powerbook?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/20/07 3:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pain dont hurt
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-07

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 that I'm thinking of upgrading for some minor editing projects (short viral stuff, sketches all under 10 minutes). I just need to upgrade my RAM to bring it up to spec. Then load it with Avid xpress or FCP. Has anyone on here tried this? My biggest concern is that this thing cooks up seriosuly hot when I use complex programs (ex. Garageband) or multiple programs at the same time. I just want some human assurance that I'm not wasting my money here. Thanks.
3/25/07 2:33 PM
DVant
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-07 03:17 PM
I have and I hated it. Probably not for any reason that will concern you, I just hated using the small keyboard and the small screen.
3/28/07 3:29 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 28-Mar-07
i edit with FCP on the 12" pb. it does get hot and the rendering does take a long while. of course you'd be better off using a macbook (or pro) if you're able, but for what you're doing you should be fine. if you have an external keyboard/mouse and monitor it'll make it even smoother. you're also going to need a fast external hard disk.
3/29/07 1:17 AM
Pain dont hurt
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-07
Thanks, guys. Sounds like a pain in the ass. It's all I'll have to work with for the next 2 months on the road.
5/28/07 11:35 PM
Docmaker

Edited: 28-May-07
I edited a feature on one whilst I was traveling around. I wanted to see what it was like just for shits and grins. I got more shits than grins from the experience!
5/30/07 2:34 AM
Pain dont hurt

Edited: 30-May-07
Hah. Thanks for sharing. I'm away from the home base, so I've made due with it. I upgraded the RAM to the max (1.25GB). It works. But I wouldn't use it for a project over 5 minutes long. Also, my eyes are starting to hurt from looking at the tiny screen.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.