UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Savannah Cats(pics)

3/21/07 8:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cire
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-07

I am seriously considering a Savannah(cross of Serval and domestic) as my next pet. I love the temperment, loyalty, and playful attitude as well as looks of the cat. Also, I love the fact that Savannahs will walk on a leash. I am considering a F1 or F2 to keep it as similar as a Serval as possible while being domesticated. Right now, cost is a small concern, but not a deal breaker. But, before I even consider buying one, I need to study breeders and authenticity for the purchase. Does anyone have one or know someone with a Savannah? Anyone know of a reputable breeder? Is there any questions I should have with a breeder? Should I have concerns with the first or second generation of a hybrid? Thanks for any feedback, pics for your troubles.
3/22/07 1:00 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-07
If you have small kids i might be concerned with something being so close generation-wise to a wild animal that is that big and potentially dangerous (re: prey drive and all). As with anything though, the proper care and precautions etc etc and those are some seriously cool looking animals. Definitely need some special care i would imagine. Any more info you can provide?
3/22/07 1:17 AM
catdad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How big do they get?
3/22/07 9:16 PM
Cire
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Savannahs are just like most "house" cats. Think of them as a large cat with a loyal dog's behavior. The largest size I have seen claimed was a 38lbs monster. But the average F1 is around 18-26lbs, length 16-18" at the shoulder and 22-24" long from chest to butt(not including tail). Each subsequent generation from the Serval(F1,F2,F3, etc) subtract an inch or two. As for lifespan expect ~18 years. Savannahs also eat normal premium cat food, so no special diet is required. They are litter box trained and rarely are reported going outside of it. Vet care is the same as a normal cat. As for temperment, they are good with people but very active and playful. So, families with small children(not me yet) need to supervise any interaction. They are also very loyal to their owners. They will follow you around, play fetch, like to walk on a leash, as well as sleep next to you. Another cool behavior of the Savannah is its love for water. They will jump in a bathtub, shower, or even bat out their waterbowl all in fun. But at the same time, they are very intelligent and can figure out lever door handles, cabinets, etc. So you must childproof your home. If your Savannah were to escape, they like to roam so odd of finding it are slim. Which is really a scary trait for a $1000-$6500 investment. I originally wanted a Serval, but the laws in my area will not allow it. A F1 or F2 Savannah is considered a domesticated hybrid, so it is legal.
3/22/07 9:32 PM
Cire

More pics for some help:
3/23/07 7:11 PM
mfah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-07
Those are awesome. Id to get one, but with kids wouldnt get over a F3 and probably get it declawed and such. Only thing stoping me is the 2-3k price tag.
3/25/07 1:13 PM
Cire

Edited: 25-Mar-07
From what I have read about Savannahs, they never use their claws when playing with humans. But, a 30lb kitty jumping down from atop your fridge could be another problem. The price is a concern, but would you be willing to pay $13/month over 18 years for a great pet? I am. But as the breed prevails, price will decrease drastically.
3/27/07 9:59 AM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-07

Man, wish we could get cats like that here...

Elvis

3/27/07 6:36 PM
Cire

You can, many breeders' websites ship internationally.
3/27/07 10:59 PM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, but I'm too cheap to spend that sort of money for a cat... I mean seriously... if I'm spending that much money for p*ssy it better know how to cook, clean and suck like one serious hoover... ;-p

Elvis

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.