UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Ghetto pulled pork, will this work

3/22/07 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extendo
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-07

I can't do real bbq, because I only have a propane grill, but I'm wondering if this will work. How crazy would it be to put a pork shoulder on one side of the grill (no heat directly underneath). On the other side of the grill, place a couple packs of wood chips in foil. Get the sucker smoking and turn the temperature down way low for a couple hours. I was then thinking of moving it into the oven and cooking it super low for some more hours? I have a crock pot as well, but for some reason seem to be leaning towards the oven. I know this isn't ideal, but I won't be getting my smoker for another couple months. Any ideas on cooking times would also be appreciated. Thanks! *ducks from samiclaus in advance*
3/22/07 7:59 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done it before that way - it comes out good. You can even just wrap in a few layers of foil instead of transferring it to the oven.
3/22/07 8:23 PM
Extendo
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, CR1chard. I'm'a'gunna giv' it'a go.
3/22/07 8:34 PM
crescentwrench
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the way to do it actually.  In fact, I think the way to do it is you make the wood make a pouch with doubled up aluminum foil and poke holes in the top and put it right on the burners.  It won't get as hot to get smoke I guess. 

As far as time, when does smoke stop penetrating, like 3 hours?  After that oven is fine and way easier temp control.  I can't tell how long it will take after that though, maybe 3 or 4 more depending on size?  Whenever you can pull the shoulder bone out is when it's done is all I can say. 

3/22/07 8:38 PM
Extendo

Thanks crescentwrench, that's the method I've used for roasts and it works great. I appreciate the tip on pulling the shoulder bone. Makes perfect sense, considering I use the turkey leg twist as a backup gauge on birds as long as they aren't massively titted.
3/23/07 10:30 AM
Extendo

Edited: 23-Mar-07
Armbreaker, were you pulling your pork when you tried to post last night?
3/23/07 12:42 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting, I might try this this weekend. I typically do it just in the oven.
3/23/07 2:01 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's not even ghetto pulled pork. Crock-pot a seasoned porkbutt with liquid smoke. That's ghetto pulled pork. You're still smoking that thing, be proud.
3/23/07 2:28 PM
Extendo

Thanks MetaDevil, I'm pretty excited. I've invited a bunch of hungry folks over for pulled pork and a few rounds of crokinole.
3/24/07 8:52 PM
Extendo

Edited: 24-Mar-07
Currently at 144 degrees Fahrenheit. It's going to be a nice late dinner!
3/25/07 9:39 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-07
Yes, this will work. It takes some effort and it probably won't be as smoky as a true smoker, but the meat can definitely turn out with the perfect texture, which is the main point anyway IMO. The show License to Grill is great to watch if you only have a gas grill, because that's basically all that he uses to make everything. There are a lot of options out there to improvise smoking techniques. The main drawback is you won't get quite the level of smoke and "bark" but the texture of the meat is usually the primary objective anyway. In fact, I seem to remember an episode where he did exactly what you are describing. You might find it on Bittorrent or whatever. Also, like CW said, you can use the oven to finish it. Even though I have a few smokers, I often do this anyway, because after hours of smoking, there's a certain point where you've sort of maxed out the smokiness, plus the oven is pretty convenient.
3/27/07 9:25 PM
Mule

Edited: 27-Mar-07
I thought you cooked it in the oven first and then finished on the grill with the smoke? I'm going to try this. I to am a gas grill owner and I recently did spare ribs for the first time on my grill. Took about 2 hours at a little over 300 degrees with indirect heat. Turned out pretty good, not tough, and the dry rub held up well to the heat.
3/27/07 9:36 PM
Extendo

It turned out fantastic! I smoked it on the bbq for nearly four hours and then moved it into the oven to finish. Even my wife who up until this point would only eat chicken loved it. I was astounded she tried it, let alone eat as much as she did. We had seven people over and it was a huge success.
3/27/07 9:54 PM
alpo

Check out that show, License to Grill, if you can. He does all kinds of things on a gas grill that you normally wouldn't think of...smoking, rotisseries, baking, etc. Oh, it comes on Discovery and Discovery Home, not the Food Network. It used to come on the Food Network, but it switched stations like a year ago. It's pretty cool because he'll typically do a full meal..appetizer, entree, desert, even sauces, all on the grill... in the same vein as BBQ University on PBS, except with gas instead of charcoal and wood.
3/28/07 9:20 AM
MikeZev
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-07
rob rainford is a goofy bastard though.
3/28/07 9:20 PM
Mule

Edited: 28-Mar-07
Thanks Alpo. I'll check that out. We just got a nice gas grill for X-mas from my moms and dad and we are going to use the hell out of it this summer to keep the temp down in the house. I can't wait to do a pork roast.
3/27/08 9:00 PM
Rhymenoceros
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-08
One year later... I bought a Boston Butt, and I'm going to try to cook it using mainly an oven. If you were in prison, and you had to do you best to cook a delicious butt using only an oven, a crock-pot, and a stove top, what would you do? How would you make it tasty?
3/27/08 11:53 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-08
I would go the Crockpot route. I've never tried it, but we have some friends who have done a butt in their Crockpot after having "real" pulled pork at our place and they said it was good. They did say the "real" pulled pork was better though.
3/28/08 12:06 AM
Rhymenoceros
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-08
I have no doubt that what I will have will make me long for the pulled pork was better at Mullet @ Heart's house. I just want to make a nice meal.
3/28/08 9:51 AM
dennisv
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-08 09:58 AM
Here's a link for the Licence to Grill recipes: Licence to grill There's a ton of good recipes for the grill on that site. The pork tenderloin recipe in the link is awesome.
3/30/08 12:07 PM
crescentwrench
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Mar-08
Pork shoulder is great for any and all slow methods imo.  If I'm not smoking it I might treat it like a beef pot roast, with onions and carrots and taters.  I don't care for pulled pork bbq style from it, but I'll make a carnitas in the crock pot.  Actually that's my go-to for indoor shoulder.  I just trim and cube 1 inch pieces.  I throw some water in the crock pot and turn it on to start heating up since it takes forever.  I'll throw the water out later but I just don't want to heat a dry pot.  I don't know if it's bad but just in case. 

Anyway, I stem and seed a whole pantload of dried ancho, japone, cascabel, any chiles I have on hand and hydrate them in some simmering water.  I lightly brown the pork chunks and toss them in a pot on a burner.  Then I stick blend the hydrated chiles and water and run it through a wire strainer to get rid of some of the skin pieces.  I'm sure chili powder would work too as long as it's not the 1lb bin from Costco, that stuff tastes like sawdust.  If you have an Hispanic store or live near a flea market go pick up a variety of actual dried chiles, the difference is night and day. 

Then chop up and add onions, garlic, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, salt, pepper, and whatever else sounds Mexican into the pot with the pork and enough chicken or vegetable stock to cover all of it. 

I heat all my stuff on the stove before putting it in a crockpot because otherwise it would take about 2 hours just for the food to come up to temperature through a crock pot alone.  After that all simmers I toss the water in the crock pot and add the pork mixture to cook until it's falling apart.

When it's done I pull out the pork pieces and throw a stick blender in to puree the cooking liquid.  If it's too thin I'll reduce it on the stove a little. Meanwhile, heat up some oil in a skillet and either shred the pork lightly or smash it with a large spoon and fry it in the oil just long enough to give it a slight crust. Then take some rice and beans and cheese and put it on a tortilla with the pork and sauce and make a burrito the size of your forearm.   That's my pork shoulder crock pot recipe. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.