UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Tools U Carry Off Duty?

3/27/07 11:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yasonf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-07

What do you guys carry off duty?  I'm not talking about your firearm, I'm talking about a knife, leatherman, set of cuffs, flashlight...etc?  I am about to graduate from the academy and would like an idea of what other LEO's carry.
5/28/07 10:22 PM
John9821

Edited: 28-May-07
kinda in the same boat,,,anyone?
5/29/07 10:21 AM
fishluv

Edited: 29-May-07
I carried nothing off duty 90% of the time, not even a gun. I would carry it if i was going to a really bad part of time which is seldom to never. After carrying that chunk of metal around for awhile it gets old. On or off duty a leatherman or other brand multi tool is always handy.
5/30/07 1:09 AM
pfsjkd
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-May-07
I carry a folding knife just about anywhere I go.  I'd like to carry the heater but our H&K .40 cal is too big to comfortably carry concealed, IMO.
6/20/07 10:24 AM
KidJustice
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jun-07

Carry my H&K .40 in a belly band in the pants rig. It works very nice.

pfsjkd I use that and an uncle mikes size 16 ankle holster for the H&K both fit the weapon well and keeps it very concealed.

I also carry a combat folder and a pair of nylon rope cuffs (they ball up very easy and go into a pocket with little to no bulk) I also have a few pair in my glove box.

7/2/07 8:04 AM
KidJustice
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jul-07

It's a little different for me since I have a take home vehicle and I'm on call. I can respond within moments.

I carry the nylon cuffs not so I can "arrest" people off duty, but if I ever do get into an off duty shooting I dont want the defense attorney trying to accuse me of only wanting to shoot his client since I had no way to restrain him otherwise.

It has been used as a defense in the past when it was learned that an off duty officer was not carrying a restraining device.

If I have to use them to restrain I can do so though.

Jefe Maton I'll look for those holster links.

7/3/07 6:21 PM
fishluv

Edited: 03-Jul-07
You may want to carry spray for just the reason KID JUSTICE outlined. Then no one could say that you had no nonlethal method to deal with the threat.
7/3/07 6:54 PM
KidJustice

fishluv I don't have to worry about that. The ICE policy does not say you need to carry a non-lethal device. Defensive tactics i.e. your hands count according to the policy.
7/3/07 7:42 PM
fishluv

....my job doesn't require a firearm anymore:( by the way i met one of your counterparts at my office the other day.They are doing alot of good things over here.
10/3/07 10:47 PM
swmnbjjer1

Edited: 03-Oct-07
folding spyder-co endura or my small ka-bar TDI but i carry it on duty aswell
12/10/07 7:02 PM
grapplecop

Edited: 10-Dec-07
I hate to say it but after 15 years on the job, I don't carry anything. Someday I will kick myself for not carrying off duty, but I think after the new ness of being able to carry a gun all the time wears off, it is more of a pain in the ass.
12/10/07 8:27 PM
KidJustice

Edited: 10-Dec-07

grapplecop, I have 17 years as a LEO and I still carry off-duty.

With all these mall and church shootings I don't want to wish I had it if I need it. I don't even feel my baby glock when I carry it in my in-the-pants holster.

1/4/08 6:56 PM
domyancic

Edited: 04-Jan-08
ditto KidJustice... With all the school shootings, mall shootings, church shootings...I would rather have something and not need it, then need it and not have it... Long before many of the recent church and mall shootings, maybe late 90's, Lt Col Grossman was preaching about carrying off duty all the time, even with the family, even in church..and I stand by his recommendations...whether Im in my jurisdiction or traveling, Id like to know other LEOs are carrying off duty so they might be of assistance in that once in a lifetime Murphy moment myself or one of my loved ones might be involved in. Im not a squirrel or some weirdo wanna be hero cop, but I always try to carry, and it only took one of those "you dont need to take that" from an ex going out to dinner one night, and the place get held up by knifepoint with some scumbag there, that reinforced my policy. Thankfully the guy fled before anything bad happened but I wish I wouldnt have left my pistol behind!
1/4/08 9:26 PM
KidJustice

Edited: 04-Jan-08
domyancic, Grossmans books should be mandatory reading for anyone wanting to be a LEO!
1/6/08 10:19 PM
domyancic

Edited: 06-Jan-08
AMEN!!! I push it in all my Train to Win classes (what most people would call 'officer survival')....if you have not read Siddle's book Sharpening the Warriors Edge, www.ppct.com, thats a great book too....and I could probably try to get you a copy, but an old old video seminar of Dr. Paul Whitesell giving a lecture on combat psychology...amazing stuff!!!
3/6/08 8:13 AM
forsaken

Edited: 06-Mar-08
I always carry a folder, sometimes a fenix light . I also carry my Shivworks and Brock fixed blades sometimes. I dont carry cuffs, OC, ASP, etc. off duty.
4/4/08 4:12 AM
Derek Tomchek
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 4 2008 12:00A
.380 cobra for the ankle. I work and commute to the west side of Chicago everyday so my vehicle and me are pretty well armed. I live 50 miles away from work/city and it is in a beaver cleaver town which I love. Corn fields and friendly neighbors. It is like night and day at work and in route or when I am with my children I always have my back up. Biggest reason is I was a deputy/CRT/SWAT in the county I live in and I have run into people I have locked up. They always remember you first and it can catch you by surprise. Be careful and be safe, -Derek-

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.