UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Tips on giving car salesman hell!!

3/31/07 9:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Doomsday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-07

I'm sure you guys have bought your fair share of cars, how do we give these guys a hard time?
3/31/07 9:39 PM
TexArcher

Crash the car during the test drive.
3/31/07 9:39 PM
pfsjkd
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-07 08:43 PM

Stick your hand out like you wanna shake hands and when he sticks his out kick him in the junk. Hard.  He's bound to give you a fair deal after that.

3/31/07 9:41 PM
Afterbirth Sandwich

shoot a low single on him , take him down, and shove a banana up his ass
3/31/07 9:42 PM
Wilbur111

Just read a book on sales techniques and then you'll know the tricks he's trying to pull on you. Then you can play the game a bit better with him. Have fun doing it.
3/31/07 9:47 PM
Doomsday

What are your experiences?
3/31/07 9:52 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a FRAT to the attention deficient, but check it out: Things You Can Do That Will Mess Car Salesmen Up by Gregg Hall If you are like me dealing with car salesmen can be an exasperating experience. They have so many little quirks and sneaky little ways to try to get information from you that it can try the patience of the best of us. I want to share a few things that you can do to drive them up the wall for a change. I was in the car business for years and I can tell you there a certain customers and things that customers do that drive salesmen crazy. Imagine how good it will feel to turn the tables. One of the customer types that drive salesmen crazy is the indecisive customer. If you act like you can make up your mind what you want, you don't know what you want right from the start that will twist them up right from the start. Salesmen are trained to get you to land on a particular vehicle that is why they come up and ask what you are looking for so they can lead you around. If you tell them you have no idea that you are just getting ideas or whatever they will back off. Even if you do find something you like you can carry the indecisiveness on through the negotiation process by going back and forth on whether you want to buy or not, you can't decide what would be a good price, you don't know what kind of payments you want. These things will drive a car salesman completely nuts! Never, ever let them see you like a car and don't act like you like them either. I don't care if it is the car of your dreams and you have been looking for months to find one. Don't let them know that. This is another thing that salesmen can't stand, a total lack of emotion from the customer. This is another thing they are trained to do, it is called finding "hot buttons". They study you and watch your reactions and listen carefully to your responses to tell whether or not they have found the right vehicle for you or not. They will get scared when they can't find something that gets you excited because they know their job can be on the line. Knowledge is one of the best ways to trip a salesman up. Most car salesmen don't know much about the cars they sell. I was consistently one of the top salespeople in the business and I wasn't a master of product knowledge so I know. If someone asked me how much a car weighed I would ask, "Are you gonna drive it or carry it? It's real heavy, you can't pick it up!" Seriously, if I got a prospect that was loaded down with product knowledge they would eat me up. It isn't that difficult to learn all the stuff you need to know about a particular vehicle. If you have your search narrowed down to one or two cars make sure you know all you can about them.
3/31/07 9:54 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's like poker,baby. NEVER show them what you are feeling, and never let them be your "buddy".
3/31/07 9:54 PM
Jack Carter
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I call up this used car salesman responding to an ad on craigslist for a used car. He sounded like he hated his life right off the bat. I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the history of the car, so I started off with "Does it have a clean title?" He said "As opposed to a dirty one? What, do you think it got dirty in the trash or something?". I explained I wanted to know if the car has been serviced on time or has been in any accidents. He said "it was in an accident from the previous owner but now it's perfect!" I asked what kind of accident and he said "Why are you concerned? The car is PERFECT" I then requested the VIN number and he shot back "Why?!" I said "to check the history of the car on-line" to which he responded "Oh you mean CarFax? I didn't hear you say CarFax. I heard you say VIN, not CarFax. Law enforcement told me not to give out the vin number because you could create a key with that information." I then said "I don't care, I want a vehicle history report. Do you have one ready for me to view? You can fax it, e-mail it or I can stop by? Either way, I'm getting that VIN number." He then said "This car is PERFECT. If you don't want a car that's been in an accident, then keep calling around." I then said OK and hung up. Fuckin' used car salesmen.
3/31/07 10:11 PM
Doomsday

lol, what was he thinking?
3/31/07 10:35 PM
GMH210

Buy brand new if you can..... good advice on knowing all the info on the car you want before you shop it. Car salesman are dicks!!!
3/31/07 10:42 PM
stevekt
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say show no emotion and ingore any personal questions.
3/31/07 11:18 PM
Afterbirth Sandwich

"Buy brand new if you can....." I'd say buy one year old with low mileage and a full warranty...
3/31/07 11:31 PM
shootfightermike
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

poop in the tester
3/31/07 11:38 PM
stobe
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poke him in the eye.
3/31/07 11:53 PM
stevekt
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grab his junk, wink and say, "not bad studly".
3/31/07 11:54 PM
Doomsday

lol @ poke him in the eye now that would be funny
4/1/07 12:03 AM
ECWCock

Edited: 01-Apr-07
4/1/07 12:04 AM
HELWIG
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My dad took me to get my first car.

He vividly explained we werent buying anything that day even if they were giving away cars for a dollar.

The guy looked like a shify SOB and showed me maybe 4 cars. We said we were looking for a bigger vehicle cause Im a bigger guy and dont want to be driving for 30-45 mins cramped up.

The guy INSISTED several of the cars could accomodate up to a 6'4 dude even though at 6 feet even I was too cramped in a few of them.

So we left and within a week the guy had called 4 F'ing times and left two messages AT OUR HOME after he was specifically told not to call. I think there was some shit where they demanded the number for legal reasons or some nonsense.

Wound up going to a different dealership and buying the OWNER'S car he'd been driving.
4/1/07 4:11 AM
Gforce
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I heard you say VIN, not CarFax. Law enforcement told me not to give out the vin number because you could create a key with that information." Did you point out to this fuckstick that the VIN number of every car on the road is visible on the plate sitting right in the god-damn windshield? It's also on the registration sticker stuck to the window of many states. What a slippery scumbag!
4/1/07 12:44 PM
Doomsday

yeah hes a real bastard
4/1/07 6:14 PM
forsaken

Edited: 01-Apr-07 06:19 PM
Don't trust Carfax, I checked my car and my brother's car on their site and they said both have never been in accidents. In reality both have been in major accidents with police reports and insurance claims made. I have no idea why they don't show up as such. Never trust a Carfax report from the dealer. My friends old dealership used to always make up fake ones. Try this site: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
4/1/07 6:56 PM
MrEgg
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alright the best thing you can do is tell them that you do not have a trade in even if you do. When your negotiating the price keep telling them that your not happy until you get their absolute lowest price then tell them you have a trade in. And never let them low ball you on the trade in because used cars is where they make all their money at.
4/2/07 10:11 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 02-Apr-07 10:16 PM
I know, lets waste like two hours of their day, every day for a week so they wont be able to actually sell a car and feed their children!
4/2/07 10:21 PM
unclephilly
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-07
I had a trade in for a car one time that I did my homework on. I handed the print out from kbb.com for my car and it was clearly over $4000.00 trade in. Some grease ball said he'd give me $1000.00 because...and I quote... "Kelly Blue Book online lies to people!" LMAO!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.