UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Tips on giving car salesman hell!!

5/12/07 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CaptainXanax
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07
You need to find someone that is allowed to structure their own deals i.e. has been at the dealership a while and not some guy sitting out on the pad. My good friend's dad is a car salesman and has been in the business for a looong time. He makes somewhere in the $250k/yr range. All of his business is repeat and referral and he does his own deals. He makes most of his money off of volume bonuses and not the 30% or whatever of gross profit. These are the people you want to work with, not the "closer" who's going to rake you over the coals for an exra $100. Sometimes knowing them can make you a little bit of cash as well. If they take in a really great trade, they can sell it to you for a little bit more than the dealership has in it then you can sell it or keep it yourself. Sometimes you can buy it, sell it, and split the profits. Most good car salesmen here will keep money set aside for these types of deals when they come up, but you can only sell something like 3 cars here in a year before you have to get your own dealership license, so they'll have a few "friends" that they do business with on the side.
5/16/07 7:15 AM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-07
You need to find someone that is allowed to structure their own deals i.e. has been at the dealership a while and not some guy sitting out on the pad. There are very few dealerships where the salesperson does the whole deal front and back, it has nothing to do with how long someone has been somewhere but how the dealership operates. A simple phone call can tell you this. My good friend's dad is a car salesman and has been in the business for a looong time. He makes somewhere in the $250k/yr range. All of his business is repeat and referral and he does his own deals. He makes most of his money off of volume bonuses and not the 30% or whatever of gross profit. If he is making that kind of money selling cars he is not doing it from volume, he is making a boatload of front end money. Either that or he is the GSM, which $250k even for a GSM is a stretch, he would also represent the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of auto salespeople in the world. Often times the greenpea is the best one to buy the car from, ask a manager if there is someone who just started say you are going to buy a car anyway so I may as well be nice and give some kid his first sale. You can tell if someone is new to cars, it's not something even the best guy can fake
5/21/07 4:38 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 21-May-07
Why is that? Why do I have to deal with some idiot who simply runs back and forth between me and the guy making decisions? I know why. It's because there are stupid buyers who put up with that shit and pay for it through the nose in the process. geeez youve done this before havent you My wife recently decided she wanted a 04 Mustang GT on a local Ford dealer's lot and I literally ended up calling the salesman a fucking idiot and walking out when negotiations came to a standstill after a hour of 3 different salestards running back and forth between me and the sales manager who refused to see me face to face. It probably wasn't really 3 hours, In my 4+ years I have never spent more than 90 min of just negotiating. Often times I will look at my own clock and it often seems like things took longer than they did, regardless of that why did you let it go that long anyway...just get up and leave. The best price you'll get is the one right before you walk out the door
5/22/07 1:00 AM
parrishmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-May-07
LOL..... You get em White.
5/22/07 10:11 AM
StephenL

takes me about 6 months to buy a car. i'll tell the guys that i'll be hitting several dealers in the area to shop their price. stephen
5/22/07 11:04 AM
Atecexa

after a hour of 3 different salestards well maybe one hour between 3 different personnel can feel like 3 hours lol yeah i did read it wrong takes me about 6 months to buy a car. why on earth would you waste 6 months to make a car decision...it's a car not a marriage. especially with new cars and how little markup there is available how much are you really going to save from one place to the other
5/29/07 10:11 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 29-May-07
"So did you like the car" Yes "Would you like to buy it" Yes, let's talk price and terms "OK, now here is our price on the car at $14,995 w/3000 down you will be at $250/mo" Well I'm paying cash so I will offer you $13,000 out the door. "Great, I will present the offer and hopefully we can earn your business" "Hey boss this guy is paying cash and says he'll buy and take delivery right now at $13k...ok great write the deal" "Thanks Mr. Customer he said he'll take the deal" What, that was way too easy I want it for $11k. "But sir you just said you would buy it today at $13k so I went and got it for you" Well yeah but you guys always try to keep bumping me even from my first offer so I figure you must have more in it so I want it lower Happens every single day, this is why a dealer will almost never take a first offer...in case any of you were wondering
6/4/07 4:15 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 04-Jun-07
avg hyundai has between 400-900 markup from invoice to sticker. even from net to invoice might be a grand. a $30k Azera might have an extra grand markup
6/6/07 2:43 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 06-Jun-07
Hyundai rebates are direct to the consumer rebates. They often have dealer cash money which is never even close to $1500. Usually in the neighborhood of $500-750 but only if you hit a certain monthly quota
6/6/07 3:45 PM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was checking out a car for a girlfriend one time, happened it was a Ford and I used to work for Ford as an Engineer, on that vehicle, in design and production. He started with the usual, 'this one is an absolute plum', then went on to start describing features and benefits...... I waited till he paused for breath, and said quietly 'thanks for that mate, I worked for Ford at their production plant building this model for 3 years, I know more about this car than you ever will' and went back to doing my own thing..... He walked off and left us to it. He was right, it was 100% and we bought it, I just didn't want to hear his sales crap any longer than I had to. Gerald.
6/6/07 4:55 PM
Mark1

"He walked off and left us to it. He was right, it was 100% and we bought it, I just didn't want to hear his sales crap any longer than I had to." Did you get an empolyee price? Mark
6/7/07 6:37 PM
coach

Edited: 07-Jun-07
Just say NO.
6/17/07 3:22 PM
macdawg

Edited: 17-Jun-07
"He started with the usual, 'this one is an absolute plum'" bwahahahahaah, awsome. that edmunds article was pretty good, I've been in sales, I don't want to pussy foot around too long with anyone whether i'm buying something or selling something, I'll save the guy trouble, get straight to my price that I find out is a good price online, they don't like then I walk.
6/19/07 8:23 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 19-Jun-07
yeah just keep saying no no matter what, get up and start to walk out the door let the manager reel you back in and they wont let you leave until you have gotten the absolute lowest offer. even throw out "I'll buy the car at net, I won't make you go below net because that would be unreasonable but I won't buy it above net. I'll even finance it with you so you can make something on the deal and I'll let you hold one point, not 2.5%" (the legal max in most states) Of course this does depend on the car, toyota's, most honda's, hyundai, nissan, any domestic and most other major mass market brands will sell a car at net cost just go get a unit out the door. European's, Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, Acura etc and most high end brands will usuaully get pretty close to invoice but they generally won't sell at net unless they got stuck with a blue ext/brown int stick shift with no options. Some brands you just will not buy for hardley anything below sticker, Hummer, Mini and Porsche (except for the Cayenne) are some that come to mind
7/2/07 9:06 AM
lelo

Edited: 02-Jul-07
just bought a 2004 honda accord ex-l V6 fully loaded (except for the NAVI) with 32k miles for $17,200 out teh door (tax, fees, all that shit included) last week. similar car is valued at edmunds.com and kelly blue book for $20,000-$21,000. record is clean. the best part is, i was dealing with a stereotypical used car salesman AND finance manager the whole time and to get one over these sons of bitches is fuckin sweet! gotta go running, so will tell the story later. hope it helps some of you in the future...
7/2/07 4:58 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 02-Jul-07
as the salesman and FI mgr are coudnting up and figuring out party plans for their $5k gross
7/3/07 1:07 AM
lelo

Edited: 03-Jul-07
you mean to tell me they got a fully loaded 2004 honda accord ex-l with v6, 32k miles for $10,500??? would like to know what auction you could get that kind of a deal but i'm pretty sure it's not mannheim, lol.
7/5/07 8:00 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 05-Jul-07
lol mannheim what a joke that place is. my old store used to get a bunch of cars from that place and i would sell them for over retail and still only make a grand. you mean to tell me they got a fully loaded 2004 honda accord ex-l with v6, 32k miles for $10,500??? would like to know what auction you could get that kind of a deal but i'm pretty sure it's not mannheim, lol. you said you paid $17k not $15k, i just took in a 04 EX-L V6 auto with 44k for $12,800. the 4's hold value a little better than the 6's. and youd never get that kind of buy at an auction, you're only gonna be able to ever get that at the door never from the mill. who knows what they made on the car, who cares really if they made $1 and youre happy then great if they somehow made $10k and youre happy then great. people get so hung up on what the dealer is making (even if they get the "right" price) they cant even enjoy getting a new car
7/5/07 10:30 AM
lelo

Edited: 05-Jul-07
seems like you're having a hard time on teh comprehension dept ;o). here's what i said on my first post: "just bought a 2004 honda accord ex-l V6 fully loaded (except for the NAVI) with 32k miles for $17,200 out teh door (tax, fees, all that shit included)" out the door meaning with all that shit included. so lemme break this down. by removing the state tax, fees, etc., the actual price was $15,650, capiche? i'm using mannheim since it's the only one closest to where i live and for someone that's not a dealer and was able to get in, i get to see what prices the dealers around me are paying for... "who knows what they made on the car, who cares really if they made $1 and youre happy then great if they somehow made $10k and youre happy then great." you were the one that said "as the salesman and FI mgr are coudnting up and figuring out party plans for their $5k gross". and btw, fuck yeah i'm happy for what i paid for. "people get so hung up on what the dealer is making (even if they get the "right" price) they cant even enjoy getting a new car" look, i could really give two rat's asses on what they're, or maybe what you're making as a salesman. my thinking is, why super inflate the retail price just so you can play this little bullshit games with the customer knowing majority of the buyers doesn't buy cars that often? the bottom line is, i'm paying waaay less than what's dictated by edmunds or kbb, and that's what i'm tickled pink about. if the dealership made 5k like you said, more power to them, but they coulda made 9.5k if i would just paid their original sticker price, not counting what they woulda made on the back end (which btw, those fuckers were trying to screw me as well, lol). oh and beleee me, i'm enjoying my new car
7/7/07 12:55 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 07-Jul-07
im glad you enjoy the car, that's really all that matters and yeah any good FI mgr will try to make a ton on the back. it's your job to not let him go to hawaii on just your deal lol
7/10/07 4:29 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 10-Jul-07
people feel safe buying from a dealer especially a large multi franchise dealer. dealers in most states have laws and regulations to follow, private sellers do not. also if you finance a used car with a dealer you really cant get too screwed since the bank will only finance so much anyway. i think if you are looking for a car under $10k and have either cash or your own financing already established then a private sale is a great option. much over that and buying from a private buyer can be just as perilous as a dealer the best deal is the guy who just bought a new vehicle and for one reason or another has to get rid of it
1/19/08 5:26 AM
Doomsday

Edited: 19-Jan-08
ttt, this was a good thread.
1/20/08 12:16 AM
cuzz63
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-08
Introduce yourself as "Mr Beeback"
1/21/08 10:17 AM
Atecexa

Edited: 21-Jan-08
any good salesman is a good broomer. find out very quickly if the guy is a buyer or not and what type of gross you think you can get out of him/her and even if they are a definite buyer but you know it will be a nothing deal say good bye, most of the time it's not worth the 17 hours those people take up of your time and the bad survey a grinder will most often give you the funny thing about the auto business is this, the guy that beats you into a $1k below net deal hates you and will give you a bad survey and still thinks youre screwing him. the guy that paid you a $5K+ deal loves you and gives you a 100% survey
1/21/08 1:46 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 21-Jan-08
and yes certain "groups" are to be avoided at any cost

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.