UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Mensans here?

4/1/07 8:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
torquemada
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-07

Just curious; I took the test a couple of weeks ago and wondered if anyone here had...
4/24/07 9:10 PM
torquemada
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-07
ttt; anyone?
4/25/07 4:06 PM
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-07
what's the point?
4/25/07 11:41 PM
Bocephus
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired

What's a Mensan?

Is Mensa north of Canada?

4/25/07 11:44 PM
Bocephus
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired
South of England?
4/26/07 12:56 PM
Ted Bennett
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-07

RoR is right - I've been to two meetings, and while this was 10+ years ago, there were (A) plenty of assholes present,  (B) plenty of people who clearly were emotionally invested in being "smart" and so peppered their conversational speech with jargon to sound intellectual, and worst of all (C) no hotties, or frankly even any chicks between 15-30. I dunno, maybe other places are different, but the one I got dragged to was deeply unimpressive

It really serves no good purpose unless you have no friends whatsoever and you need a place to hang out. It doesn't get you jobs, it doesn't get you into good schools, it doesn't get you money, and it sure doesn't get you laid, so why bother....

If you want to hang out with a bunch of smart people who are assholes but still can have a lot of fun, go hang around law schools or law firms - many are smart / well-educated, yes, but they apparently know how to party better than any post-college trained folks I've ever met. Hell, my wife's law firm has, for all practical intents and purposes, a *bar* inside the office - tons of wine, liquor, etc. And judging by the law students and clerks coming through, there are some raging hotties present. :-)

4/26/07 1:13 PM
Ted Bennett
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-07

Forgot to mention - they go out to restaurants for lunch 2-3x weekly, with Fridays being margarita day, and they have also had strip club trips - no, I am not making this up, a bunch of attorneys and paralegals  (male and female both) go out to the local strip clubs.

I can't imagine anyone in my hospital doing anything more severe than having a single beer after a long tennis match or a martini after a round of golf  :-P

5/31/07 10:00 PM
TheMeat

Edited: 31-May-07
I'm a member. I don't normally tell people though because of the inevitable backlash. I wanted to join basically to satisfy my own ego. I really haven't done anything with my local group but I have met a couple of cool myspacers who are in the Mensa group. Event though I've been member for a while now the most intelligent people I know aren't members so go figure.
6/2/07 8:03 PM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 02-Jun-07
I passed their test but did not join. Knew several people that were members that I did not want to hang out with. Also seemed extremely stupid to pay money to hang out with people who only had a trivial test in common.
6/3/07 9:28 PM
asdf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jun-07
I do not qualify.
9/1/07 5:08 PM
The Pacifist

Edited: 01-Sep-07
Currency Mechanics
I was close, but didn't make the cut.... I guess i aint that smrt or somethink lik that.
9/28/07 2:15 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-07
I thought about a joining, but after meeting a gorup of them, found that they were the biggest, most disappointing pack of losers around. Lots of morbid obesity.
9/28/07 9:45 AM
Ted Bennett

Edited: 28-Sep-07

Lots of morbid obesity.

I hadn't made that connection 'til you said it - but yeah, now that I think about it, you're right :-P

10/6/07 6:32 PM
Bill Brasky Jr

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Once upon a time, in another thread on the OG, someone made the point that being a member of Mensa is like being in a club for tall people who suck at basketball.
7/19/08 5:25 AM
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first started to go back to school (this was about 6 or 7 years ago) I thought about joining, but after I passed their first "entry" test (there was one more before I could officially join) I went to one of their "meet up" parties (and I use the word party VERY loosely) and, like most of the people above, I found most everyone there was completely self-involved and obsessed with the idea that they were somehow the elite of society.

Oddly enough though, I went there thinking I was going to meet some of my soon-to-be professors and other people of high standing, but when I asked people what they did, it turned out that most of them were either low level IT drones or in some level of unemployment. Also, now that I think about it, the people seemed to be similar to Encyclopedia entries: good if you want fast and more or less accurate information on a topic, but almost useless for in depth analysis.

I think I wouldn't have such a dim view of the group if the people weren't so convinced that they are the intellectual cream of the crop. Perhaps it's the leftist in me, but I am somewhat bothered by the idea of a group of people getting together and pontificating about how brilliant they are compared to the rest of the world. If they are so brilliant, why doesn't MENSA merge with OXFAM or some other human rights organization and put their staggering intellects to good use.
7/19/08 9:56 AM
BarkLikeADog

^In high school I was in Future Problem Solvers, which is an academic competition based (obviously) on problem solving abilities. Most of the Mensa/Honor Society types were in it, but the best competitors tended to be the better-adapted, only-slightly-above-average people.

FWIW.

Most of the people I still know from that org are doing extremely cool things now. Best guy from my class wrote some if not most of the key analysis related to data mining that just about everybody in that field uses now.

Although to be fair he was also class valedictorian.
7/22/08 1:34 PM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As often, I agree with Dr. Bennett.

Non of the real geniuses that I know have anything to do with them. (I went to MIT, so I know a few.)

All the Mensands I knew were smart, but not that smart, and used the MENSA label to make them out to be more than they were.

Pretty much intellectual dick measuring.

The most brilliant people I know don't talk about being smart, they are our pursuing a passion or solving a problem that no one else can.
7/28/08 5:34 AM
baxter stockman

they let you claim equivalency scores on other tests. my lsat was good enough so signed up for strategic impressing people reasons.

never been to a meeting, but a good buddy of mine (who was actually smart enough to pass the real membership exam) attended one. he thought it would be good for networking in his field. he said he estimated more 30-year-old+ individuals in attendance were dropped off by their parents than drove themselves.

and NO poontang.
7/29/08 9:51 AM
None So Blind

baxter stockman -  he said he estimated more 30-year-old+ individuals in attendance were dropped off by their parents than drove themselves.
F'in OUCH :-P

That hurt me just reading it, I can't imagine seeing it in person

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.