UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Spring Camp Review

4/3/07 7:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-07

Spring Camp Review Special! First of all, many thanks to Alan and Lily Pagle for being such great hosts, and for carting a bunch of us around all weekend. Modern Combatives was a very cool place to hold this camp. And it was a pretty amazing camp! I would have to echo Luis's opinion that this was the best camp yet, both in terms of the technical material / coaching and overall vibe and camraderie. The energy was right on all weekend, with a packed house of around 70 participants. Friday night's session began with an open roll before SBGi Vice President Luis Gutierrez took the group through a series of innovative (and typically funky) So-Flo Jiu-Jitsu drills. In the second part of the session, UK Director Karl Tanswell showed a highly functional call-out drill for training grip fighting with the gi that can be run just like the clinch surfing drill. This is definitely a keeper that we will be putting into the curriculum right away. The final section of the night consisted of rotating Q & A / coaching sessions. The camp was divided up into four groups, with each group assigned one of the coaches. After 15 minutes of addressing and training any of the group's questions, the coaches would then rotate to another group until they had worked with all four. By the end of the first night, many of the camp participants were expressing that the quality of instruction had already exceeded their expectations. On Saturday morning the camp began with a warmup, then went immediately into Luis's instructional section, which was a comprehensive series built around his unique underhook lockdown from sitting guard. This is an extremely strong variation that opens up a lot of possibilities for butterfly sweeps, submissions, and drags. The section also featured impromptu guest coaching by a high-ranking ninja (later revealed to be BJJ Guru Chris Haueter), who silently educated camp participants to enhance their technique through stealth and misdirection. Ireland Director and Jiu-Jitsu Ace John Kavanagh taught the latter half of the morning section, which began with his 3-category approach toward attacking the back in MMA. The focus of his instruction was on the second category, when a missed submission attempt will result in a scramble. He discussed when it makes the most sense to sacrifice a traditional rear mount and go for armlocks, and showed a series of sneaky and effective attacks to increase your chances of landing a sub as time winds down. After lunch, Karl started off the afternoon with his MMA Clinch and Wall Sprawl series. He has worked out some very cool drills from here, and I had a great time comparing notes with him on wall clinch / anti-clinch material. He also addressed a very important aspect of the game that in my opinion is often overlooked by trainers: how to coach your athletes during training so that they will be coachable during a competition. Great stuff! The day wrapped up with Matt facilitating a Q & A session for the entire camp. Sunday morning's session began with a fantastic series of hybrid yoga / ginastica natural / BJJ warmup exercises Luis has been using for his workouts back in Florida. I have already incorporated them into my warmup routine in class. We then moved into my Muay Thai section, where I covered Muay Thai fundamentals with some MMA applications. We began by working mechanics and form on punches, circular elbows, stabbing knees, and leg kicks – emphasizing the relaxed but powerful style characteristic of the Sityodtong camp – then moved into partner work and isolation drilling. We finished up with some clinch work and trips/turn-overs that tied in nicely with Karl's wall clinch material. In the afternoon, Portland Gym Coach Travis Davison took over and broke down his low x-guard game (which I immediately knew I would prefer to the more common variations), including sweeps and his trademark calf/hamstring-slicer submission. He then went into a second series, this time covering a game for passing butterfly guard, both with and without the gi. Very solid, fundamentally strong material! The camp concluded with another Q & A session and final comments (and some more free rolling for those who stuck around.) Thanks to everyone who taught, attended, photographed, filmed, etc. It was a blast! -Steve Whittier (Photos will be forthcoming. In the meantime, check out the Mystical Master below.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Ed52oDYZ0
4/4/07 6:34 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-07
(bragmode: on) I have a hand (brain) in the creation of "a highly functional call-out drill for training grip fighting with the gi that can be run just like the clinch surfing drill";) Anyway... I mean I can surely understand where it comes from BUT after a while it becomes funny to read that EVERY next SBG camp is the BEST EVA:P
4/4/07 8:18 AM
Mike Sweeney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He just put that in (best ever part) to piss me off as we couldn't be there.
4/4/07 11:44 PM
SWhittier

Nexus Martial Arts, LLC
Matt usually writes that best camp ever line, which is always somewhat true but also tongue-in-cheek. This was my honest assessment... not that I wasn't hoping to turn the screw for Mike a bit ;-)
4/5/07 7:06 AM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 05-Apr-07
Bastard! :)
4/9/07 3:26 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-07
Matt, You train with Sityodtong now? Excellent. Makes you SBG guys much more dangerous. ;)
4/9/07 10:46 PM
SWhittier

Edited: 09-Apr-07
Nexus Martial Arts, LLC
That was my review of the camp. I am in Mass, so I train with Mark Dellagrotte all the time via privates (I'm an affiliated trainer under Mark). Sityodtong rocks, and its style of Muay Thai is a great complement to the organization and its training methods.
4/10/07 2:51 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-07
SWEET! Yeah. If I was in Boston,I'd definitely be training with no one but YodMark for Muay Thai.
4/10/07 10:30 PM
Hywel Teague

Edited: 10-Apr-07
** (bragmode: on) I have a hand (brain) in the creation of "a highly functional call-out drill for training grip fighting with the gi that can be run just like the clinch surfing drill";) ** dude, you know I came up with grip surfing in ten minutes while I was sat on a bus ;) your hand in the development went as far as me using you and Glyn to practice it on :p
4/11/07 1:54 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Apr-07
Yeah... let's all praise Hywel (for taking all the credit for a concept which would've remained an unusable abstract giant-mooseball-sucking concept when me and Glyn wouldn't have had a say in this:P)
4/12/07 10:48 AM
Hywel Teague

Edited: 12-Apr-07
dude, I can feel the bitterness emanating all the way from Estonia! ;) Karl gave us all credit, don't you worry about that
4/13/07 9:21 AM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-07
Slide show.... http://www.dragonshots.com/SBGI-dayone.html

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.