UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Automotive and Locksmith Question

4/4/07 5:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jinx
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-07

I have an Explorer with the Ford PATS type key. You need 2 keys to program it yourself. I only have 1 key so I have to go to the dealer or locksmith for them to hook it up to their computer. So I said screw the dealer and went to the locksmith because the dealer wants to charge 130 and the locksmith only charges 40. So the locksmith is attempting the reprogram and the dude can't seem to get the new key to program. He seems really goofy though, bumbling, fidgety, looking at paperwork. He's making all these phone calls, trying to get help from other locksmiths in the field. "Hey Tony, what am I doing wrong? I'm working on this Ford and can't get the key to program." He makes about 5 calls... So eventually he gives up and says, "For whatever reason, the new key won't program. Ummm, another locksmith thinks you might have a blown fuse somewhere and you're probably going to have to take it into the dealer to get checked out." I just left in disgust after waiting over an hour but was what he is saying correct? Would a blown fuse keep a second key from being programmed properly? He asked me if I jumpstarted the car recently which could have fried the "programming" fuse??? WTF?
4/4/07 5:39 PM
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't fuck around, let the dealer do it.
4/4/07 5:47 PM
sol manila
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheapskate

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.