UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris?

9/16/07 8:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kboxster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-07
hey sepe, i have the fit, so i can advise you on that front... the engine is tiny but spirited. Im 5'7" 270 and fit confortably, my girl is 5' 4" 115 and we cruise all the time without the car struggling. I get 29mpg average and thats 75% city (LA, which is a giant traffic signal) with a super duper heavy foot, what can i say... its a stick and fun to drive. we've gone on road trips with friends (me and girl buddy 1. 5"10" 205, girl 2. 5'2" 115) with luggage... drove 230 miles averaged 26 mpg. not sure how the auto feels, cause i never tried it. i felt a car this small would need to be manual for maximum control and power. The fit has the best crash test ratings for class. the only thing that might be a minus for backeast driving is the lack of dynamic stability control on wet/icy roads. A used fit right now (07) sports are around 15,500 and base is around 14,000. still damn expensive. (09) the fit will be completely redesigned, since the fit has already been avaialble in europe and japan for the last 4 years. btw its honda best selling vehicle.
9/23/07 10:13 AM
sepe

Edited: 23-Sep-07
thanks for mentioning the mazda3 hatchback. more power and better looks than the matrix. hopefully I can find a decent 06 gt when I get around to my search. only bad thing I've heard about them is the tires that come from the factory(some lower end goodyear"performance")...which wouldn't be a problem because I've borrowed my mom's 02 stratus with CHEAP tires and it wasn't an issue in the snow. it'll be a bit change coming from a ext cab dodge ram 4x4 w/a 360
9/23/07 10:57 AM
stevekt
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought a Mazda 3 hatch a month ago. I love it. Not too big on the outside but plenty of room on the inside. The back seats can accomodate two adults comfortably (or 3 adults uncomfortably). And the cargo area can handle a lot of groceries.
9/23/07 1:57 PM
sepe

a speed3 would be fun but I'm so damn lazy when I drive that I don't like manuals. as long as I can get a couple bags in the back and take a trip...I'm good to go. the styling is also pretty nice for what it is.
9/23/07 2:23 PM
stevekt
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a couple of pics of my Mazda 3. And a mini diecast model sitting on the bumper.
9/23/07 9:23 PM
kanotoa
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an XB and I would rather have the Fit. The Fit is probably the best econo car on the market.
9/24/07 2:30 PM
kboxster

Edited: 24-Sep-07
for me it boiled down to the mazdaspeed 3 and the FIT... the MS3 was ridiculous fun. the boost on that car is something beautiful BUT the cost is what brought me to the Fit. way cheaper and was really peppy; surprisingly peppier then the mazda 3 hatchback which just felt a tad overweight. Ultimately got the fit and love it; and contemplating on adding a CARB legal supercharger that is coming out soon... then i get to have the best of both worlds. *damn i think im having a quarter life crisis... btw sepe you'll always miss your truck but just a little less each day. I came off of a chevy silverado ext cab. I miss the power, which is why im leaning towards supercharging. just not sure how F/I will treat my honda engine :( anyone have a clue if its ok?
9/25/07 9:23 AM
sepe

Edited: 25-Sep-07
dunno about superchargers but I know people are doing turbos for mazda3 and many others. takes them to about 210-240hp depending on what car it is. cost is going to be about $4,000 for the kit and probably take 8-10 hours to install if you know what you're doing. I'm leaning towards the mazda3(with an auto cuz I'm lazy when driving) and upgrade the valvebody and do a hi-boost turbo kit after awhile. running 8psi, it should be ok on the street without a full custom tranny. should be around 225-230 hp.
9/25/07 10:12 AM
stevekt

A new Mazda3 with a 2.3 liter engine and automatic transmission will run you $18K-$19K. Add a $4K turbo kit and you're spending more than a Speed3 with no warranty and questionable reliability.
9/25/07 2:12 PM
sepe

I'm not going to be buying new and I'm not going to add a turbo until its paid as it'll be a 2nd vehicle. I know that I could get something more suited but with a valve body upgrade and keeping the boost low there wouldn't be a problem. The company that is doing the turbo kit actually hasn't had a problem running 8psi on a stock tranny in the 3 or in proteges. An 06 with 30k isn't going to be that bad. The turbo idea will probably depend on how I handle money. I also considered just putting decent money into a double-din headunit with navigation and upgrading the stock speakers(no ghetto thump action) and putting better looking, lighter rims on it. I would still like to do the valvebody because even with the 2.3l, they still have a little bit of hesitation from a stop.
9/27/07 4:24 PM
sourcheese
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-07
I like this thread. I have been looking at cars and almost cracked and bought a mustang gt/cs convertable. But seriously gas milage is something that should be looked at and the car payment would be over 585 a month for what I would like. I make good money but still. Then those hybrids. The honda civic and pruis. Great millage on both, ugly as hell. I honestly like the looks on the toyota yaris sedan. With the milage on it already, Im amazed they didnt make it a hybrid. that fucker would go forever. Im seriously shooting for a hybrid
9/27/07 4:58 PM
kboxster

the only thing about the civic hybrid is that it doesnt get the mileage advertised. if you do mainly street driving and live in constant gridlock like LA, then it would be better to get a regular civic mac'd with options (cause it cost about the same and mileage will be close) I know some guy who lives in LA was trying to do a class action lawsuit against honda america.
9/27/07 5:08 PM
kboxster

i think people are getting the better mileage across the board in prius' cause that one is electric gas assist while the honda civic is the other way around gas with electric assist... an engineer friend broke me down to the technology in those cars and said ^^^ in not so many words.
9/27/07 6:10 PM
sourcheese
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no shit. to bad, for a hybrid the civic looks real nice. I thought it was to good to be true, to get almost 45 mpg for a 2008 civic
9/27/07 6:10 PM
sourcheese

no shit. to bad, for a hybrid the civic looks real nice. I thought it was to good to be true, to get almost 45 mpg for a 2008 civic
9/27/07 6:31 PM
kboxster

no it does get really good mileage, if you do mixed driving... (civic) like my fit i get 29 average and do 85-90% city driving every once in a while i'll hit a full tank and do mybe 60% highway and get 34 average miles per gallon. both those averages are with a lead foot. but if you highway drive alot or live in some planned city with huge streets ala irvine im sure you'll get pretty solid 40s maybe higher. its the highway miles that are awesome that will bring up the averages when you add city driving in the civic. the new epa gas mileage estimates are pretty spot on
9/27/07 6:35 PM
kboxster

the main drawback for those hybrids are if you live on a hill... a car with 60 some horsepower aint going to get you up that hill fast. my gf's mom just got a prius and they live on the top of a hill. her car goes up at a steady rate of 25 mph full throttle.
9/27/07 9:45 PM
sourcheese

lol 25mph? that sucks. good to know about the civic. I dont have a lead foot, at the most 5 mph over the speed limit. Had WAY to many speeding tickets as a teenager, a problem I dont have now. So that will definantly help with the mpg. Amazingly the ford escape hybrids are pushing 30mph and are at a very reasonable price as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.