UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Read "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

4/9/07 1:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chesty LaRue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-07

Seriously, read it.  It took me quite a while to finish, because it's pretty deep and wordy, but it's sooooooooo good.  I read 120 pages the last night.
4/10/07 11:10 AM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-07
I never got into Hemingway. I rear a few, including 'For Whom the Bell Tolls" and never got into it. Maybe its time to give it another shot. Why did you like it?
4/10/07 12:03 PM
artvanderlei

I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, but then again I haven't read a whole lot of his stuff (I did read For Whom The Bell Tolls, though, and thought it was okay. Not earth shattering or anything, just okay). But apparently Mike Tyson is a fan (sort of): "Even though this guy Hemingway was a fascist, racist pig, he was right about one thing. He said something that stuck in my head, men are not meant to be defeated, only to die. He was right. As long as we persevere and endure, we can get anything we want. We aren't meant to be defeated. I'm a nut case, but that is what I believe."
4/10/07 2:57 PM
Chesty LaRue

I liked his writing style... I think lots of writers use too many adjectives and it annoys me... Hemingway could write sparsely yet so vividly, I just loved that.  I also am not a big fan of war novels, but this one was only partially about that, the foreshadowing was excellent.

The only thing is that sometimes I noticed that Robert Jordan would tak to himself for long periods of time, and that would get old fast.  But overall, very good.

4/12/07 2:10 PM
Kevin Riegle

Edited: 12-Apr-07
One of my fav's.....
4/17/07 2:57 AM
Steppenwolf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-07
probably my favorite novel too
4/25/07 10:36 AM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 25-Apr-07
Master of the run-on sentence.
4/25/07 11:21 AM
Chesty LaRue

Edited: 25-Apr-07

Who cares about run-on sentences when the writing is good?

I gave it to my mom to read :)

5/21/07 2:59 PM
NeckCranks
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-May-07
He loved the short sentences. He's very easy to read.
5/25/07 2:28 PM
Your Moms Friend

Edited: 25-May-07
One of my fav's also.
6/5/07 10:02 AM
Stu Needlehammer
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jun-07
Not a big fan, but he did redefine the American writing style. Short and concise sentences for the most part.
7/8/07 1:51 PM
AaronU

Edited: 08-Jul-07
Not a bad book, but I expected more. I didn't find the relationship between Robert Jordan and the girl to be that believable. Almost seemed like Jordan was just trying to get some ass before he died, and thought he loved her to justify it. Also, what was up with the ending? Jordan's about to get killed, and it ends abruptly before he does. Maybe Hemmingway was leaving an open end for a sequel if he made enough money.
7/11/07 9:54 PM
ocianain

Edited: 11-Jul-07
Old Man and the Sea, it's Conan the F'in Barbarian fishin. The indomitable will of man, even an old man, is a powerful thing. As the old man struggles against the great fish he remembers his youth, and his great battle against the giant Cuban negro (armwrestling) this triumph inspires him in his war with the fish (which he wins). The fact the catch is ruined by birds/other fish doesn't matter, the story is about the indomitable will of man, be he white, black, yellow or brown.
11/4/08 5:24 AM
Tyler Knight

ocianain - Old Man and the Sea, it's Conan the F'in Barbarian fishin. The indomitable will of man, even an old man, is a powerful thing. As the old man struggles against the great fish he remembers his youth, and his great battle against the giant Cuban negro (armwrestling) this triumph inspires him in his war with the fish (which he wins). The fact the catch is ruined by birds/other fish doesn't matter, the story is about the indomitable will of man, be he white, black, yellow or brown.

GREAT book
11/9/08 12:30 AM
croaker
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Old Man and The Sea should be required reading every three months
11/19/08 8:57 PM
the fist whisperer

A Moveable Feast, Hemmingway's autobiography on his time in Paris as an unknown writer is my favorite of his work, you should check it out, very profound reflections. A Farewell to Arms is probably my favorite out of his fiction, next to his short stories. There are no happy endings for Hemmingway just endings, I love that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.