UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Perspectives on ourselves. We are

4/10/07 3:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sourcheese
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-07

I really dont know where this is going to go, but as Ive told a few people, sometimes when I write, my thoughts flow, and my fingers write non stop till its over. A lot of people judge where they are in life, or what they want in life based on other people. I honestly think this is a flaw... Because if you really think about it, the only person you have as serious competition is yourself. No one can ever compare thier lifes history to you. No one can even come close to growing up with what you have except yourself. So why in God's great name do you want to try to compete with someone else? Why allow them to judge you? Jonses? Who the fuck are they? Why do you even care to impress them? Or anyone else? Did they ever grow in your shoes or walked a mile in them? Do you live in the shadow of someone else? No. And you shouldnt even look at your own shadow except to learn the lessons your feet have made in the history of your own life. To improve yourself as a person, and listen to the people you met in your journey of life who gave you good direction. The difference between an animal and a human being is that animals repeat patterns. Humans learn, adapt, and and move foward. If you respect yourself, dont ever repeat the same footsteps over and over again. Your not an animal, you dont want to be. Learn from yourself, learn from your mistakes, and be wise and learn from the mistakes of others. This is such a crucial part of living. Dont make circular patterns in your life where you keep going back to where you started. If you find yourself ever doing that, cut it of, make changes and adapt accordingly or you will forever be in the same place. In keeping with the footstep analogy of living life, we all know we keep trying to move foward in some direction or other, soo... Why do sometimes we think we are in a race? My recent expereince of life leads me to believe this thought... we are not in a race with anyone to accomplish some unknown objective in life except ourselves, and the most important thing is how foward we keep moving. And most importantly... (this lesson is huge for me, because it took me fucking 30 years to figure out) ... we dont have to impress anyone except ourselves. I dont know what your goal is, I dont know what my finish line is. But I do know that we should always look back at our lives and realize that we are farther along than we were a few years ago. Seriously, as long as we know that, as long as we compare ourselves now vs a couple years ago, and we are more happy, more satisfied... than we are doing something right. As long as we are moving along to what should be called the pyradime (I cant spell it sorry) of who we can be, then we are truely are getting somewhere. (for the old psych major's from the 1970's... this is maslow's hyrarchy of needs... self actualization.) This is where Im going to cut this off because Im about to go on a tangent about how this race never really ends and how our children pick up the batton where we left off to keep moving foward.... Thank you for listening to the ramblings of a man who has become more and more thoughtful as the years have gone by. That is all, Cheer's! Mike
4/10/07 10:57 AM
BabyHand
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"And you shouldnt even look at your own shadow except to learn the lessons your feet have made in the history of your own life." Agreed
4/10/07 11:50 AM
Giorgos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Humans learn, adapt, and and move forward." isn't this a pattern? and if anything, it is not always a consistent pattern. Plus, there are other animals who learn, adapt and move forward as well. "Your not an animal, you dont want to be." I might not like it, but I am an animal :) Hey sorry but this is a philosophy forum and you're bound to get picked on, on some ideas you throw around rather than have people discuss your rhetoric skills and the point your trying to make :P Hmmm, but certainly I do agree with you that competition does not seem a necessity on your way towards self actualization. Your ability to deal with it in case it arises, though, is; i.e. neither the fearful nor the overly bold sound like good candidates. ;)
4/10/07 12:00 PM
Giorgos

and on this note I guess what differs us from other animals is that other animals cannot self actualize. Till then though we are nothing but super-chimps at best (I know it's borrowed, gimme a break:) ).
4/10/07 12:06 PM
sourcheese
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha I wrote that fucking WASTED as hell.
4/10/07 12:46 PM
Giorgos

oh I didn't notice ;)
4/11/07 7:46 PM
Subadie

Edited: 11-Apr-07
superchimp = lancelot link
4/12/07 6:58 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 12-Apr-07
^nah, waking life :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.