UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Guard Tips on countering standing?

4/16/07 1:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Apr-07 02:51 PM

Hey Guys, any golden Rules, Principles, Ideas, etc. on using various Guards against someone either standing and G&Ping, passing or both in an MMA Context? Not really looking for Techniques per se, but Opinions, Advice and Experiences. I have been dabbling a bit using Butterfly, De La Riva, "X"-Guard, fishing for a Leglock or just coming up to the Clinch when they start to stand. I don't pretend to be adept at any of those Guards except Butterfly, so any Advice on Grips, Posture, Base, etc. would appreciate it. Haven't bumped into some of you in a while...hope all is well. -Joe Anyone prefer something else? One over the other?
4/16/07 1:47 PM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 16-Apr-07
Funny enough, I was loading a Vid on YouTube while I made this Thread and when I returned to it, it turned out to be an SBG Vid on 1/2 and De La Riva! I should also add that I am (like everyone else I am sure) watching a lot of Marcelo to get some Ideas.
4/16/07 2:48 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the URL?
4/16/07 2:54 PM
Ausgepicht

It's Footage from the Combat Sports Academy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNwMr1iLePI
4/17/07 2:09 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-07
This is a part of groundfighting which imo is rather different fundamentally for gi; nogi; MMA and SD as opposed to let's say top control which has fundamentals which remain the same through all the different applications.
4/17/07 10:02 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 17-Apr-07 11:09 AM
Yes, I agree and that's why I am asking about it in an MMA Sphere. No one has any Ideas or do you all just hate me? :(
4/17/07 10:43 AM
Mike Sweeney

Joe: For me it would depend on this distance. Is the guy back from you or hipping in? That makes a huge difference. If the guy is back from you and you are able to use your legs to maintain distance that would of course be good. We make getting back to our feet (safely) in situations like that a priority. If the guy is hipping in (he is now past your feet) and punching downward you need to either move back to create some space, suck him back down into your closed guard, or in some situations you can spin under him to take his back. So many variables here that it really makes it difficult to put down any general rules/strategies.
4/17/07 11:06 AM
Ausgepicht

No, that was great Mike. I really appreciate it. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!
4/17/07 11:44 AM
Mike Sweeney

Cool. I sometimes avoid answering posts like this (and I assume others do as well) because they don't know how to articulate their thoughts in type. When I initially read the post I thought "there is no way I am even going to try to answer that." You sucked me in with the "do you all just hate me?" comment. :)
4/17/07 1:07 PM
Ausgepicht

Hehe! Well, There are 101 Views and just your Post. SBG Guys are good at this Stuff. Well rounded, practical, & innovative so that's why I asked here. So first I'll play the Hate Card and then I'll try pathetic Flattering like above. If that doesn't work, I post Nudes. I prefer full Frontal BTW. To the Pain.
4/17/07 1:47 PM
Mike Sweeney

I shoulda held out for the pics:(
4/18/07 6:41 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-07
Imo in MMA the standing up is EASIEST compared to gi and nogi. Because you don not have to worry about so much about him breaking you down again or setting up some fancy open guard. Basically you have to worry about only 2 things - him standing up from his guard = keeping him down AND not getting submitted/swept straight away... That being said... hand on the throat and stand up punch with the other is one good method. Just watch for the armbar.
4/18/07 7:24 AM
Mike Sweeney

Jorx: I think he is asking about tips that the BOTTOM guy should use.
4/18/07 10:03 AM
Ausgepicht

"Imo in MMA the standing up is EASIEST compared to gi and nogi. Because you don not have to worry about so much about him breaking you down again or setting up some fancy open guard." So you have good Success (GREAT Success!!!) with standing? Directly to the Clinch or breaking out deeper? Or...are you saying from IN Guard as Mike is mentioning?
4/18/07 12:41 PM
Jorx

Oh crap... I read this all wrong:D Being on bottom guard sucks in MMA compared to gi and nogi... Standing from bottom guard - I usually just put both feet on the hips push away as hard as I can and then scarmble to my knees and straight into TD.
4/20/07 11:00 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 20-Apr-07
No Prob Jorx! I actually prefer to do the Opposite. I don't like to push them away to give them Room to throw Bombs or Pass. I prefer to keep a Seal or closer Contact. Prefer a primarily kinesthetic Feel/Feedback as opposed to primarily visual One, even for the Takedown. BTW, which Takedowns are you having Success with? Single? Double? Something else?
4/20/07 5:45 PM
Jorx

Edited: 20-Apr-07
Double. If fails - single. If fails - pull half guard and scramble to knees again (watch Monson vs. Fujita for what I mean) OR Double into stand up with double unders. I like to keep them close as well. That's when I work my subs:) But if they are able to posture up.
5/9/07 9:36 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 09-May-07
Anyone else?
5/9/07 4:54 PM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 09-May-07
Since you didn't post the pics, how about we start with this... What are YOU currently doing in this situation? (that is a very Thornton-like answer for you). :) MartialArtsPlanet.ca
5/10/07 5:33 AM
Jorx

Edited: 09-Jul-07 05:16 PM
Yo Matt, what's your evil twin up to?!? Link: http://www.atelier-v.ch/umdenken/sites/29.html
5/10/07 9:43 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 10-May-07
Mike, fear the Pics. Don't make me naked. You won't like me when I'm naked. As I mentioned I have been either coming up with them...into a Takedown or right to standing. If I'm playing Guard I am either momentarily in Butterfly or playing "X"/De la Riva. I'm taking far more Punishment (Punches/Elbows) when playing Guard then when I come up (includes Butterfly). Nature of the Game, but I am trying to improve what I am doing. My de la Riva SUCKS and my "X" Guard is poor. I am just looking for Ideas to fill the Void.
6/24/07 7:50 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 24-Jun-07
When someone is G&P and they are getting a little to snuggly for you, especially when they stand to stack and grind, oh how MMA'ers like to grind and pound things. Especially each other. Observations aside: do a little walk on your shoulders to give some slack as they try to create tension with the stand and stack. It's a little shimmy; like in belly dance? hah. As you shimmy on your shoulders backwards they will have to find their base again and get a new angle, as they do so adjust your guard for your next series of attacks. Do not shimmy up to the wall and get yourself stuck. For people are are set on stalling and stacking switch between the shimmy and breaking their posture down by uprooting their base when they adjust. This is all assuming you don't let them get their head up and stand. A good guard is offensive. Dave Copeland
6/25/07 11:02 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 25-Jun-07
"do a little walk on your shoulders to give some slack as they try to create tension with the stand and stack. " Would you maintain your Grips/Control Ties, just lessen the Pressure or release them? "A good guard is offensive." An Impression that Matt has made on me on his first Tape Series that never left me.
7/5/07 2:46 AM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 05-Jul-07
Honestly, I found that if people want to try to run past my guard while standing, I just follow what Imanari does.
7/5/07 10:57 AM
Jorx

Edited: 05-Jul-07
cling to a foot?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.