UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Proper Grammar?

4/17/07 12:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacob Lamb
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-07 12:46 AM

"This is for Dave and I" That is wrong. It should be "me and Dave", right? I tried telling two guys this today and they laughed at me for being so stupid... : ( Any links that explain this so I can send it to them?
4/17/07 1:36 AM
Gortiz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-07
"Dave and me"?
4/17/07 2:50 AM
Jacob Lamb
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Me and Dave" or "Dave and me" But not "Dave and I"
4/17/07 5:11 PM
Jacob Lamb

???
4/17/07 6:23 PM
Ted Bennett
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"For" is a preposition.

Prepositions take the objective case.

The subjective case for the first-person personal pronoun is "I" or "we."

The objective case is "me" or "us."

Just as you wouldn't say "this is for I," you wouldn't say "this is for Dave and I."

This is the same sort of silliness you hear in people who *try* to sound intelligent by saying s/t like "That's between he and I" when in fact it's grammatically incorrect and makes them sound like an idiot to anyone who understands language at better than a 3rd grade level. The correct version is, of course, "That's between him and me."

Your friends are morans who need to visit this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronoun

4/18/07 1:42 PM
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-07
I'm horrible at grammar, but the way I remember is to remove part of it and see if it still sounds right. "This is for...I" doesn't sound correct, but "this is for...Dave" or "this is for...me" does.
4/18/07 7:32 PM
Jacob Lamb

Edited: 18-Apr-07
I sent him this: Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective_pronoun

* Incorrect: You and "me" are going to school together. * Correct: You and "I" are going to school together. If it was just you, you'd say "I" am going to school. So "I" is correct.

* Incorrect: The teacher teaches you and "I". * Correct: The teacher teaches you and "me". If it was just you, you'd say the teacher teaches "me". So "me" is correct.

* Incorrect: This is for Dave and "I". * Correct: This is for Dave and "me". If it was just you, you'd say this is for "me". So "me" is correct.

His response was: i dont know if i buy it lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.