UnderGround Forums

North Carolina Underground >> winston salem

4/17/07 12:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RDunk16
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-07

Anyone here train in Winston Salem or very near the area? I'm looking for MMA, BJJ, Muay thai, or boxing, anything really that is good. The only place people mention when I ask around is the amaa place...is it really the best one to go to? Thanks in advance for the help.
4/17/07 7:10 AM
hooahfighter

There's a great school in High Point that most of the people who actually post on this forum train at if you're willing to go that far. We've got BJJ, MMA, and kickboxing. Check it out at www.ldma.biz
4/17/07 8:13 AM
GrendelX
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^ What she said.
4/17/07 11:18 AM
HighPoint

Determining the "best" school is determining what YOU want to get out of a program.  I recommend trying the different schools and see which one fits your needs.  We would love to have you come by and try our our program.
4/17/07 4:56 PM
RDunk16

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try to come by and check out that program in High Point, although my work schedule is pretty hectic. I'm in a dilemma bc I'd love to train 4-5 times a week but I just don't think my schedule would allow it. So I still have to decide if it's something I can financially justify if i can only go 2-3 times (sometimes less) a week. I've never really been to high point either, I'm going to try to figure out how much of a drive it really is.
4/18/07 2:35 PM
HighPoint

Edited: 18-Apr-07

I realize your fustration but there are only three BJJ schools around the triad that I am aware of: (1) Team One - Winston Salem (2) LDMA - High Point (3) Team ROC - Greensboro.  There may be others I have not heard about; however, these are the schools who have professional programs (not your "garage" or "basement" programs).

**Note if I did leave out an actual professional program - I apologize**

4/26/07 1:50 PM
whippersnapper13

Edited: 26-Apr-07
Head over and check out kevin at team one in winston. crossfit247 great place, kevin is one of the best instructors.
5/2/07 2:18 PM
HighPoint

Edited: 02-May-07
Good guys, train hard, great attitudes.....won't find anyone else in Winston who comes close; especially for the money.  The best way to find out for yourself is go in and talk with them.  Certain you will be impressed.
5/3/07 4:46 PM
whippersnapper13

Edited: 03-May-07
If you go to winston, stay away from Preacher Dave, Asa and Steve, they are older guys, purple belts. They can put the hurt on you. Asa is great to do stand up with, he's an ex-european karate champ. Preacher Dave is just down-right dirty, he's great to learn from. And whatever you do, if you roll on saturdays, do not go into the back room with them or Woody's judo room. All I can say is "I told you so" If Kenny is still around you can take and rub his face in the mat and he'll start crying.
5/20/07 6:28 PM
whippersnapper13

Edited: 20-May-07
Woody is a great Judo instructor, his room is in the back of amaa, he does ground work and lots of throws also. He is tough as nails. One of my fondest memories is when some of the advanced guys and I were messing around doing "king of the ring" type drill, one man stays in until thrown, strickly working on stand up throws with gis on. Actually we were just messing around at first getting warmed up and Kevin liked what we were doing and let us keep going for the entire class. Woody comes walking in sees us working on throws, changes, watches for a few more mins, until he couldn't take it any longer and joined in the fun. He had some great throws on everyone and taught us a couple of things also. My background was in judo so he had some great tips along with variations.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.