UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> How To Buy a Car???

4/18/07 11:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bill Brasky Jr
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-07

There used to be a great thread about how to buy a car, but like everything on the OG it was deleted to make room for TUF fan noobs on the UG. Anyway, what was the website where you can see exactly how much a dealer paid for a new car? Also, does anyone have any tips for buying a new car?
4/18/07 11:18 AM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you go to the dealer, give them some money and sign some papers. pretty simple, really.
4/18/07 11:20 AM
Bill Brasky Jr
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good advice so far.
4/18/07 11:21 AM
angryinch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take vaseline
4/18/07 11:29 AM
Puzzled

First, determine your favorite color... then tally up all your money... then bring your favorite CD to test out the speakers in the car/truck of your color... then ride your bike to the dealership (make sure you are wearing a backpack). Seriously... I've always heard: Never give them the keys to your current car ("but we need to assess it's trade-in value"= they know you aren't leaving without your car, so they can work you some more). Be willing to leave the lot but leave your contact info if they can reach what your price goal is. Never talk monthly payment (they'll rape you in bottom line pricing). Talk to your bank about loan options before going to the dealership. Do your homework beforehand (the interweb is very powerful... you can even search local dealerships on the web). Understand that dealerships aren't going to give you top dollar for your trade-in. You'll almost always get more $ if you sell it yourself.
4/18/07 11:32 AM
smac1

edmunds.com is a great resource.
4/18/07 12:28 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Avoid Larry H. Miller and Riverton. I've had good experiences with Ken Garff, but I don't know what dealerships they have these days.
4/18/07 12:29 PM
junk

I just got an 06 Charger 0% APR
4/18/07 12:32 PM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oops, smith is correct. it's easy to forget that part-and if you do forget it's pretty embarrassing.
4/18/07 12:34 PM
unclephilly
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kbb.com is also a great resource.
4/18/07 8:52 PM
Cire
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Screw the negotiation, demand invoice price. You can get this price on nearly every car(except specialty), because dealers will still get holdback on cars they sell from the manufacturers. Go to KBB or Edmunds websites for the invoice price. Also, if the car has been sitting on the lot for a while you can probably get it much lower. All in all, do you homework: Bring in every bit of paperwork on the vehicle you can find: invoice price, other dealers ads(with same model), other dealers service information, etc. These all will annoy :-) and help you get the all out best deal. -former Nissan, Dodge, & Chrysler salesman...in college.
4/18/07 8:57 PM
crescentwrench
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edmunds true value pricing or some crap.  I took a printout of avg price in my area.  Shut them down completely.  I was done in ten minutes.  Well, I phoned my car dealer friend back in TX to confirm I wasn't getting hosed and I wasn't. 
5/4/07 8:25 PM
Atecexa

Edited: 04-May-07
I sell new & used cars for a living and love helping someone stick it to a competitor. When you are ready to buy email me with what you plan on buying. And I will give you every piece of info you need to completely hose any dealer mr2_92@yahoo.com
5/4/07 11:17 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-07
Know what the car is worth, buy used, pay cash. Carfax, extended warranty and AAA. That wasn't so hard, now was it?
5/5/07 12:43 AM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-May-07
big underscore slacker makes an appearance on the OG. This is an honor.
5/5/07 2:02 PM
taba
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get your scca/nasa/etc competition card. use it to approach the motorsports branch of your intended manufacturer and tell them you building a car to compete. you may be eligible for employee pricing and invoice cost on performance parts.
5/5/07 2:39 PM
Atecexa

Know what the car is worth, buy used, pay cash. Carfax, extended warranty and AAA. That wasn't so hard, now was it? The car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some sell at book (hyundai), some sell a little under (audi) some way under (ford suv's), some over (honda) and some a lot over (acura integra honda civic) carfax is good but dont assume a clean cf makes the car a virgin, have a good reputable body shop inspect it. ext wty is always a great idea just do some research on the underwriter, make sure you get rental, trip int coverage, can take the car anywhere and have it mfgr based if you can if you can pay cash do it if not use this simple formula to determine what is a good payment. take your annual income and move the decimal point two spots left and that is what a 4yr payment per month should be for you (maximum) if you cant afford the down payment to get you there then you are on the wrong car and if you try to force it you will only end up over exntending yourself
5/5/07 5:05 PM
big_slacker

"The car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some sell at book (hyundai), some sell a little under (audi) some way under (ford suv's), some over (honda) and some a lot over (acura integra honda civic)" Some elaborations since it seems necessary. Thats what I mean by know what the car is worth. KBB is often not accurate. Asking price for private party in local papers/craigslist is a better indicator. Market value (what someone will pay for it) is king in the used car world. Carfax is a good start, yes you can go to a mechanic and bodyshop if you're worried and don't know how to spot cover ups yourself. I look under the car for wet spots from fluid spray, obvious frame or suspension damage, check the engine vin vs chassis, check for bondo, unmatched paint, lack of clearcoat, etc... And of course a good thorough test drive. (Shifts good in all gears, vibration, hard cornering, brakes, freeway, electronics) You can get a pretty good idea yourself if the car will be a problem. If something seems off walk away, there are PLENTY of other cars. Yes check the terms of an extended warranty, this should go without saying. The one on my current car is nationwide, allows repairs at whatever shop I prefer, requires approval by the underwriter before repairs are made so I don't get left holding the bag for unapproved work. And manufacturer warranties are the best as stated. LOL@the 2 decimal point rule of thumb. I would balk at half of that, not even including my wife's income. I'm such a cheap bastard. Guess thats why I pay cash. ;) Mullet, I'm on the IT, money and motor grounds. I just stay off the OG, too much wasted time.
5/5/07 10:30 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 05-May-07 10:34 PM
Oh. I'm viewing this from My Threads. I didn't realize this wasn't the OG. </Honor>

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.