UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Chimps More Evolved than Humans

4/19/07 11:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rastus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-07

Since the human-chimp split about 6 million years ago, chimpanzee genes can be said to have evolved more than human genes, a new study suggests. The results, detailed online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, contradict the conventional wisdom that humans are the result of a high degree of genetic selection, evidenced by our relatively large brains, cognitive abilities and bi-pedalism. Jianzhi Zhang of the University of Michigan and his colleagues analyzed strings of DNA from nearly 14,000 protein-coding genes shared by chimps and humans. They looked for differences gene by gene and whether they caused changes in the generated proteins. More
4/19/07 11:21 AM
The People's Knee
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-07 11:26 AM
Whether one species has manifested more changes than another is no big deal. It's only surprising to some people because they equate more evolution with being better. Some species have evolved only slightly over millions of years (e.g., sharks). Whatever adpations/mutations they made millions of years ago were and still are sufficient to allow them to thrive even today. Thus, you could re-characterize it and say that, in some cases, additional evolution was simply not needed. We got most of what we needed millions of years ago. Thoughts?
4/19/07 11:24 AM
Entreri

anyone wanna a banana?
4/19/07 11:43 AM
ChimpFL
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My screen name obligates me to say yes.
4/19/07 11:51 AM
Rastus

I, actually, agree with you, David. "more evolving", could be compared to "learning more"...like being voted "most improved". My first year of tournament chess, I was in the top 50 in the country for "most improved", but I was hardly ready to play Gary Kasparov.
4/19/07 11:55 AM
Rali
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you need to look no further than the OG to confirm this.
4/19/07 11:58 AM
The People's Knee
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-07 12:03 PM
I, actually, agree with you, David. You use of the term "actually" implies that you were surprised.. nay STUNNED to discover that you agreed with me. I am hurt by this revelation.
4/19/07 12:04 PM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interesting article. ""Although there are now many more humans than chimps, in the past, human populations were much smaller, and may have been fragmented into even smaller groups," Bakewell told LiveScience. So random events would play a more dominant role than natural selection in humans." So if we take a bunch of cockroaches and isolate them for a few generations while exposing them to adverse conditions, we might luck out and breed super roaches.
4/19/07 12:10 PM
Nick6742

yes, how do you think dog breeding works?
4/19/07 12:15 PM
TheDomester
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I, believe-it-or-fucking-not, agree with David on this.
4/19/07 12:23 PM
Misoza
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evolution isn't always good. It's a mutation, not an upgrade.
4/19/07 12:26 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I, actually, agree with you, David. "more evolving", could be compared to "learning more"...like being voted "most improved". My first year of tournament chess, I was in the top 50 in the country for "most improved", but I was hardly ready to play Gary Kasparov. " it's a mistake though to connect 'evolving' with improving or learning. To evolve simply means to change or develop gradually and is not always for the better. In many cases evolving can actually lead to a weaker species overall and thus is not always for the better. Sabre-tooth tigers are a good example of this. The large teeth they developed over generations was no doubt good for tearing through flesh but they were so brittle that they could easily snap if they hit bone or if the prey didn't die on the first bite and struggled around. This was likely a large reason why the species died out and probably why all surviving species of big cats have much smaller & stronger teeth.
4/19/07 12:29 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*scratches armpits and hurls poo at Rastus*
4/19/07 12:37 PM
Rastus

I used the term "actually" for a good reason. Initially, it would appear that I was a proponent of the proposition that chimps are more evolved than humans. Since you were disagreeing with this, one would naturally conclude that I would present counter-arguments. The term "actually" was recognizing this presumed opposition. I had forgotten what a delicate flower you are, David. I apologize for the rough, insensitive language (i.e. use of term "actually"). *hope his petals are smoothed and settled*
4/19/07 12:38 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

I hate when people use terms like "more, good, or better" to explain evolution. People who dont grasp evolution will ask "Well why dont cockroaches evolve into humans?" All primates, living beings- evolved in response to their environment, particularly selective pressures. To compare the two on some linear platform is ridiculous. We both filled our niche. Its not a math test
4/19/07 12:41 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

lol at Rastus
4/19/07 12:42 PM
Rastus

I didn't write the article, KneeUppercut. "it's about you not understanding the basic driving mechanism of evolution." Justify that statement.
4/19/07 12:44 PM
The People's Knee

Edited: 19-Apr-07 12:48 PM
I used the term "actually" for a good reason. Initially, it would appear that I was a proponent of the proposition that chimps are more evolved than humans. Since you were disagreeing with this, one would naturally conclude that I would present counter-arguments. The term "actually" was recognizing this presumed opposition. I had forgotten what a delicate flower you are, David. I apologize for the rough, insensitive language (i.e. use of term "actually"). *hope his petals are smoothed and settled* Pure backtracking on your part. You meant to injure me and you did. Now, you are attempting to recharacterize the brutality of your malfeasance. In essence you are claiming that the the knife that you recklessly plunged into my back was done without malicious intent and you would have me believe that you were trying to help me by such an act. I am on to you. The damage cannot be undone.
4/19/07 12:46 PM
The People's Knee

P.S. lol @ I, believe-it-or-fucking-not, agree with David on this.
4/19/07 12:47 PM
Rastus

...now you're just being plain ol' mean
4/19/07 12:49 PM
The People's Knee

*hope his petals are smoothed and settled* P.P.S. One of my petals is quite unsettled and unsmooth. Yeah... you know the one I'm talking about. THAT one.
4/19/07 12:52 PM
The People's Knee

Dogpile on Rastus!
4/19/07 12:54 PM
Rastus

lol... let's get back on track. A key point that people like you and KneeUppercut fail to see is the hand guiding evolution. No, evolution isn't a bunch of "random reaction". It's a purposefully guided set of continuous changes. I mean, why doesn't an arm come out of my forehead, smart guy? Your evolution wants to keep out the creator, when it's plainly the most manifest example of an intelligent creator. I suppose it takes a certain degree of intelligence to recognize intelligence, doesn't it?
4/19/07 12:56 PM
FastAndBulbous

"Thus, you could re-characterize it and say that, in some cases, additional evolution was simply not needed."

No, you really couldn't say that accurately.

Why did sharks stop having random mutations?
4/19/07 12:59 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

"Why did sharks stop having random mutations?" Because they filled their ecological niche sufficiently, where random mutations would not be selected for. They didn't simply "stop" having random mutations. They simply weren't selected after they occurred. lol at you still trying to push the ID angle. Yes, God created the perfect shark and stopped.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.