UnderGround Forums

North Carolina Underground >> MMA vs Boxing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/19/07 6:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hooahfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-07

Apparently Floyd Mayweather thinks he could take on the UFC. Thoughts and opinions, please. http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dw-mayweather041807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
4/19/07 8:38 PM
GrendelX
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pffft!! He would have a "Punchers chance" If he dident get the knock out immediately he would be totally screwed. There is going to be allot of BS talk coming from boxing about mma from now on. Simple fact is mma is the future and they know it.
4/19/07 8:47 PM
hooahfighter

I agree. I just want to see what everyone else thinks. MMA's more fun to watch anyway.
4/20/07 2:14 PM
HighPoint

Edited: 20-Apr-07

Boxing is no longer the popular sport for spectators.  I think boxers are extremely conditioned athletes, but so are MMA fighters.  Boxers have strong punches and they have a tendency to drop their head real low and lean on the front leg.  This would be an MMA fighter's dream because the leg kick would be EXTREMELY damaging and Knee strikes would be real effective.  Wasn't this whole idea proven with the first UFC?  Mayweather's comments are ignorant and uneducated; he has obviously never sparred with an MMA fighter.  Mayweather needs to just step up and find out the difference for himself. 

I heard Hulk Hogan discuss MMA one night and he down-talked it as being a "bad" sport.  Of course he says that, WWE lost their contract with Spike TV to UFC.  Boxers are feeling the same effects.  I am not sure if this is true, but it's my understanding MMA fighting (UFC) is directly behind NASCAR as most popular spectator sport in the world.  Soccer is #1 - of course with the Europeans.

4/28/07 10:18 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-07
"Boxers have strong punches and they have a tendency to drop their head real low and lean on the front leg. This would be an MMA fighter's dream because the leg kick would be EXTREMELY damaging and Knee strikes would be real effective." If you went into a fight against a good (say top 50ish) boxer as a cross trained fighter with the intent of hurting him with leg kicks you would be asleep inside of 3 minutes. Any extended standing exchanges would be absolutely dominated by a boxer of that level, though it would expose him some to use head movement it will be a non factor against the leg kicks of most (99.9 percent) MMa fighters, they just are not good enough at landing them and defended that sort of paced punching a high end boxer can put out. But in a standing clinch and on the mat are completely different stories. The planted feet would mean he is on his back inside of 10 seconds, and the mat would make even Mayweather weep. But dont get delusional, standing and trying to land leg kicks on someone who would be so much more polished standing would be a good way to spit teeth. Why even bother when the guy probably has no concept of basic pummeling, takedowns, kneeing in a clinch or fighting off his back?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.