UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> 100% electric car, +200 mile range

4/25/07 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
johnnypayne
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-07
"Isn't ethanol more polluting than gasoline " No, ethanol is a clean burning fuel, "aren't ships having their engines get all sludged up because of Ethanol? " definetly not, ethanol is alcohol, nothing more, nothing less, ships wouldn't run on it, too high a burn rate, leading to a low torque high bhp combustion cycle.
4/25/07 6:05 PM
Jack Carter
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-07 06:15 PM
"No, ethanol is a clean burning fuel," http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=603784

Switch to Ethanol as Fuel May Harm Health

"We found that E85 vehicles reduce atmospheric levels of two carcinogens, benzene and butadiene, but increase two others -- formaldehyde and acetaldehyde," Jacobson said in a prepared statement. "As a result, cancer rates for E85 are likely to be similar to those for gasoline. However, in some parts of the country, E85 significantly increased ozone, a prime ingredient of smog." ddefinetly not, ethanol is alcohol, nothing more, nothing less, ships wouldn't run on it, too high a burn rate, leading to a low torque high bhp combustion cycle. Who said anything about ships only running on ethanol? http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Apr/11/ln/FP704110403.html

Ethanol fuel gunking up Island boats

Bob Hoevel's boat engine repair business has been jumping ever since the state mandated ethanol fuel sales a year ago, but even Hoevel couldn't prevent his own boat from breaking down recently in Kane'ohe Bay. Like engines owned by other local boaters, his twin 40-horsepower Honda outboard engines suddenly started sputtering in the bay, "then just — poof — they conked out immediately," Hoevel said. He broke apart his fuel system while he bobbed along in the bay and found his ethanol fuel was saturated with water. "I guess it can happen to anybody," Hoevel said. Over the past year, Hawai'i boaters — and even owners of older cars and trucks, and lawn mowers that have carburetors — have become victims of a nationwide problem of malfunctioning engines that has coincided with the introduction of fuel laced with 10 percent ethanol. Boat owners are particularly vulnerable. And in the past year, Hawai'i boaters have faced a wide range of new problems: # Ethanol that has more than a half percent of moisture introduced into it suffers "phase separation." The water pulls the ethanol and some hydrocarbons into a bottom layer that's difficult for engines to burn — while the lighter fuel floats on top. "Alcohol attracts water like a sponge, and marine engines are surrounded by water all of the time, obviously," Hoevel said. "You're left with contaminated, junk gas." # Fuel that has experienced phase separation should not be reused, but engine owners have no cheap way to dispose of it. Some boat owners have received quotes of $300 and $350 for private disposal companies to safely get rid of 18 gallons of contaminated ethanol. # Ethanol acts as an efficient solvent that cleans out the accumulated gunk in fuel systems, which ends up clogging carburetors. The repairs can cost boat owners $500 and up. (New engines with fuel injection systems seem to handle ethanol without problems.) # Ethanol also eats away at fiberglass-based marine fuel tanks, which not only destroys fuel tanks but also ends up clogging boat engines with the debris.
4/25/07 8:33 PM
johnnypayne
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"# Ethanol acts as an efficient solvent that cleans out the accumulated gunk in fuel systems, which ends up clogging carburetors. The repairs can cost boat owners $500 and up. (New engines with fuel injection systems seem to handle ethanol without problems.) " I don't think ethanol can be blamed for this one, flush the system at each service and no problems I've heard about Ozone problems from ethanol, but not the other stuff, I'm going to have to look into it soon cause all UK pump petrol is going to be part bio ethanol in the not too distant future
4/25/07 11:11 PM
Mr.Negative
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hope we as a country plan on building more power plants to keep up with the production of these eletric plug in cars because we don't currently have near enough power plants if these things catch on....thank you hippies!!!!

4/26/07 12:40 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-07
Ethanol or methanol rots the rubber on the needle on carburetor's floats. Not an issue in newer injected cars. I'll bet that car takes 8 hours for a "real" charge and not some bizarre monster charge they stated for bragging rights. Most houses don't have a line off the fuse panel with enough capacity to pump the amp/hours needed to fill that battery in 3.5 hours.
4/26/07 1:48 PM
bscdthrasher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ all the skeptics on this thread who act like they've been involved in the production of this car and know its true specs
4/26/07 2:07 PM
Stronghold
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, the hybrid cars that run 50/50 for about 50 miles cost $0.25 per day to recharge. That's right - one quarter per day which is about 2kw-hrs, bitch. Wow, that's really going to ruin America. Cars that get 100mpg will destroy us!
4/26/07 3:05 PM
Jack Carter
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way this car lives up to what the specs are.
4/26/07 4:51 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a hybrid certified toyota master tech and I have a good grasp of the law of conservation of energy. My experience in the field makes me skeptical.
4/26/07 4:57 PM
Mr.Negative
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"lol @ all the skeptics on this thread who act like they've been involved in the production of this car and know its true specs "

don't know if this was directed at me, but if you honestly think we have the electrical infrastructure in this country to support the bulk of the population switching over to 100% electrical cars you're certifiably insane. brown outs happen regularly throughout the country, just imagine if we had to plug in 100K-150K electrical cars everynight? it would be pure bedlam.

4/26/07 9:36 PM
johnnypayne

And how is the bulk of the worlds electricity generated? That's right, burning fossil fuels. And whats more whats the energy debt of the batteries, and how many other seriously nasty toxins are pumped out into the atmosphere during their creation? Just another way of kicking the pollution a couple of steps up the ladder
4/27/07 8:44 AM
Stronghold
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-07
Sure, but if you burn fewer fuels... oh never mind, you just bein' a hater yo
4/28/07 11:14 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-07
"lol @ all the skeptics on this thread who act like they've been involved in the production of this car and know its true specs " There are a lot of engineers, marketing experts, & just plain nerds on this board. You don't have to be incredibly brilliant to know that there's SOME level of bullshit involved with that particular claim. It would require an earth-changing technology that wouldn't be limited to the limited scope of electric cars & anybody involved would be getting mad press related to that & that alone. Haven't exactly seen that on the radar, have you?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.