UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Bolo...water training...

4/22/07 2:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-07

Michael, I gave up jogging (I was getting 'in shape' but my body was killing me...feet, hips, etc.) I don't have the time to walk... What do you think about jogging in water (my parent have a pool with a big shallow end) and/or swimming...thanks.
4/22/07 4:34 AM
Bolo

Edited: 22-Apr-07 04:41 AM
First, if you have time to jog in water, I don't understand why you don't have time to walk. Walking is extremely important. Second, any form of exercise is better than no exercise. Third, swimming is a great form of exercise, however, you must realize that the body was designed to move in many different ways. If you solely do one form of exercise that requires repetative motions, you will create muscle imbalances. Fourth, swimming is good for your general fitness, however, don't count on that alone to get you in shape for rolling in BJJ. Lastly, if your body hurts when you run, your first priority should be to get your body back to a functional level to do such a simple thing.
4/22/07 3:49 PM
the rooster

Edited: 22-Apr-07
Bolo, I know you have advocated walking and indicated hour(s) for walking? I can jog laps in a shallow end (or sprint) and do it in 30 minutes... My weight workout are pretty short now (20 to 30 minute core ball workouts). I do spend about 45 minutes once a week stretching...the rest of my workout is normal judo and bjj training (technique and/or sparring). I wonder if there are swim workouts that are balanced (ie: breast stroke followed with back stroke etc). I'm strong enough, just want to drop a few lbs and get cardio humming...
4/22/07 5:52 PM
Bolo

Edited: 23-Apr-07 12:53 PM
I never said that a person need to walk hours upon hours every day. I do believe that walking should a part of a person's daily life and that a person with a functional body should be able to walk for hours without discomfort. Personally, I don't do a "walking workout", just incorporate walking into my normal life. Instead of driving to the post office, I walk there to drop off video orders. Instead of driving to the video rental store, I just walk there. I walk to restaurants that are close by, the movie theater, etc.... When you look at senior citizens, those who have trouble walking are those who didn't do it very much in the past and those who continue not to do much of it. So if you don't want to have problems with walking when you are older, you better get in the habit of doing it now. If your body is hurting from running, that means there is something wrong with the biomechanical structure of your body. You shouldn't be doing weight/strength training because that means you are only strengthening the problems that you have. I also don't recommend random stretching because you can very well be making certain problems worse. Like I said, swimming is good exercise, but is swimming alone is not enough to develope a highly functional body in your particular situation. The human body was made to run, walk, jump, climb, brachiate, swim, swing, etc... Your body hurts when you run which means you have muscular imbalances. Swimming will not balance out those imbalances. Don't get me wrong, swimming is great and I courage you to do it, but you have to be realistic about what it will do for you. You chose swimming, not because it is a good form of exercise, but rather because you are unable to run. The logical thing to do is to fix your body so you are once again able to the simplest things that even children can do. As far as cardio, my question is cardio for what? If you want to develop endurance to run in water, then what you are doing is fine. If you want a workout that is good for your cardiovascular system, then that's fine. If what you want is endurance for BJJ or judo, running in water is not going to be tremendous help. It's won't hurt your cardio and you may feel a little benefit, but it's not going to get you to where you want to be when it comes to cardio in BJJ and judo.
4/23/07 11:46 PM
the rooster

Edited: 23-Apr-07
bolo, I think you are right. I just need to undo some damage I've already done. Thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.