UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Persian Rice Pulao (Recipe)

4/22/07 10:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
New2MMA
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-07

I LOVE this recipe and thought I would share it with the F & W Ground. Sorry about the excessive detail, I tend to go overboard with details. Enjoy!!! Addas Pulao (Iran) Note: the ingredients in the rice (cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods) are optional, but well worth using. The other ingredients (bay leaves, salt, olive oil) are necessary. For the rice: -3 cups basmati rice, rinsed several times -1 stick cinnamon -2 cloves -2 cardamom pods -2 bay leaves -2 x 2 tbsp olive oil -sea salt -1/4 tsp saffron threads crushed and soaked in 2 tbsp warm water -2 tbsp plain yogurt For the stew: -1 1/2 to 2 lb boneless lamb, cubed -5 cloves minced garlic -2 onions, chopped -1 cup black raisins -1 1/2 cups pitted dates, chopped -1/3 cup blanched almonds -1 14.5-oz can chicken broth or 15 oz water -sea salt -freshly ground black pepper -1 to 1 1/2 cups brown lentils -1/4 cup olive oil (or more if needed) Spice Mixture: -1 tsp cinnamon -1/2 tsp cumin -1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric -1/4 tsp curry powder To make stew: 1. Brown lamb in sauté pan, drain and set aside. Pour off oil, deglaze pan and save juices. 2. In a dutch oven, a few tablespoons olive oil, or more if needed, over medium heat. Sauté onion until brown over medium-low heat (this will take quite a bit of time). When onions are almost brown add garlic and sauté mixture, stirring, for a few more minutes until onions brown completely. 3. When onions are completely browned, make a hot spot in the middle of the pot and add another tablespoon of oil. Wait until oil is hot and add spice mixture. Sautee spice mixture in hot spot until you smell an incense-like scent. Be careful not to burn spices. When scent changes, mix the spices in with the onions and deglaze the pot with the juices from the lamb. 4. Add lamb pieces, chicken broth or water, a good pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes to an hour. Check frequently, adding water if it gets too dry. 5. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook lentils in unsalted water until tender. Stop cooking and set aside. 6. In a large (9-10 inch), nonstick, heavy bottomed sauté pan add enough water to boil rice. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom seeds, cloves, bay leaves, olive oil and a good helping of sea salt (should be about as salty as pasta water). Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer while the stew is finishing. 7. After about an hour the lamb should be tender and the juices almost cooked off. You can add raisins and dates and simmer on low for a few minutes at this point to begin to rehydrate dates and raisins a bit. You may also add lentils at this point or you may add them directly to rice later. 8. While stew is finishing, bring water back to a boil. Add rice to boiling water and cook rice until it is partially cooked (should be firm to the bite). 9. Drain rice in a colander but do not rinse. Remove bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, and cardamom seed. Drain saffron water of the threads, and take 2 ladles of rice and mix them with the saffron water and yogurt, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread this over the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of rice, and alternate layers of rice and stew (don't forget the lentils!), topping off with a layer of rice. Make several holes in the rice so the rice can 'breathe'. Cover the rice with a few layers of paper towel and cover the pan. Put the pan on very low heat and steam for about 45 minutes, completely covered. Do not remove the cover to check the rice! 10. After 45 minutes, remove pan from heat and set aside for about 20 minutes. The rice will absorb all the steam at this time and will be light and fluffy. The steam causes the rice to 'open up' and the saffron and yogurt flavored rice at the bottom forms a golden crust that the Persians call 'tah-dig', which is considered a delicacy. 11. When serving, place in a large bowl and mix well, mixing in the golden crust. 12. Enjoy!
5/23/08 5:25 PM
Columi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

l8r
6/26/08 6:43 PM
PersianKitty
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Persian food is not easy to make but oh sooo good and worth it! I should watch my mom and grandma cook more often so I can learn.
6/27/08 9:05 AM
crescentwrench
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sounds pretty damn good.  I didn't take the opportunity to eat stuff from that region as often as I should have but I did love everything I ate. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.