UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Survivorman / Man vs Wild

4/28/07 1:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hilnder12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-07

I personally feel like Survivor man is more legit... He obviously does all his own camera work thus he is definitely the only person in the area he is surviving, while Man vs Wild does not appear to do his own camera work thus has a camera man with him. One issue i have with survivor man is that when he was in the Canadian Inuit territory he was given a rifle... it wasn't that impressive since the Inuits do what he did all the time
4/28/07 1:56 AM
smileythai

They're both rank amateurs in comparison to Ray Mears. It's the difference between aided(bringing your own shit) survival and real bushcraft.
4/28/07 2:11 AM
Jack Carter
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how MvW guy tries to convince us that he created a raft all by himself to sail the ocean and find civilization.
4/28/07 2:16 AM
smileythai

^^^LOL. I watched that episode this evening. My g/f watched it with me, and as I was about to answer her questions about burning the bamboo as opposed to cutting it down. I see dude coming out of the forest with equal lengths of bamboo which, coincidently, had been cut down perfectly...as if chopped or sawed down. Yeah right!
4/28/07 2:41 AM
DirtyD MMA

LOL @ survivorman being the only one out there. His production crew checks on him to make sure he's alright. He even says it in the canadian episode when he is traveling in the snow. They pick him up in a fucking helicopter.
4/28/07 2:46 AM
Hilnder12

The one where he builds the igloo? he doesn't get picked up in a helicopter, he meets an Inuit with a sled dog team, i am sure he has a radio or something in case something goes wrong, but he definately seems way more alone than man vs wild
4/28/07 3:05 AM
HELWIG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The red haired dude who walks around the wilderness in bare feet is the real deal.
4/28/07 3:33 AM
PeterWellington

I don't have a problem with them having a crew for a safety net. I watch the show to see how they deal with various situations (not to watch one of them die) and I don't really think the crews take away from that. What I don't like are all the props they start out with in a lot of situations. That's something that does change strategy and makes it easier than it might be in a real life situation. I think Survivorman is more practical than MvW. MvW takes a lot of unnecessary risks IMO and some of the stuff he pulls off the average guy wouldn't be physically capable of.
4/28/07 7:26 AM
scuffler

I was watching MvW one day (when he made a floatation device out of his jacket and was riding the rapids) when my wife walked in, took a quick glance and said, "he's wearing a life vest under his shirt". I took a closer look and sure enough it was pretty clear that he was. Then when they showed him coming out of the water he no longer had it on.
4/28/07 7:43 AM
MrFixit

TTT for elephant shit eating sideshow geeks.
4/28/07 7:47 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One issue i have with survivor man is that when he was in the Canadian Inuit territory he was given a rifle... it wasn't that impressive since the Inuits do what he did all the time

I'm pretty sure if he didn't take the rifle then Discovery Channel and any insurance company would not have signed off on the episode. 

4/28/07 8:41 AM
MrFixit

"I'd rather just see both guys eat more stuff and build better shelters." Maybe Fear Factor and This Old House are more geared towards your viewing pleasure.
4/28/07 12:16 PM
jarva
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the whole point of Bear having a crew to check in on him is so that he can do more dangerous stuff, which I think makes the show more interesting. Like when he jumps into a nearly freezing cold lake just to demonstrate how to handle it if it were to ever happen to you, or the quicksand, or when he jumped off of that cliff in the mountains with only a backpack and a rope tied in knots to catch him. Obviously, it would be way too dangerous to do that stuff w/o a crew to help him should something go wrong (They probably would like to have another season of the show, rather than having the star die, ya know). I'm a big fan of MvW and Survirorman. I've never heard of Ray Mears before. I'm checking out his clips on YouTube, good stuff.
4/28/07 5:57 PM
DirtyD MMA

different episode. It is the episode that he walks all night in the snow and in the morning the helicopter lands in a big open space to pick him up. He says he would probably have made it to civilization by the end of the day but took the ride anyway
4/28/07 10:09 PM
cyberslinger

Survivorman = cool.

MVW = douchebag liar.

4/29/07 8:51 AM
mudbone
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-07
MvW is more entertaining, but I wish he was more upfront that it is a basically a dramatization. Not disclosing that he's wearing a life vest, cutting bamboo with a saw off camera, etc is bullshit. Les is more like the real deal, and he is pretty upfront about things. In the episode where he was adrift in the liferaft, it was clear he was scared shitless when he went out of radio range from the safety crew's boat.
4/29/07 9:54 AM
Entreri

Come now, these are shows. If you were really trapped in the middle of nowhere by yourself, you would be in big shit.
4/29/07 10:05 AM
Jwizard

Does Ray Mears have an actual TV show or is it all on the internet? I don't know anything about him
4/29/07 10:19 AM
MrFixit

My favorite Man V Wild episode was when he drank water from a huge gob of squeezed elephant shit to show us what to do if we were ever lost in a zoo. Bear should try out to be on the Jackass team. He's a natural.
4/29/07 10:33 AM
smileythai

^^^What Armbreaker said!
1/15/08 9:06 AM
MadisonBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-08
I've heard all sorts of stuff about that Bear guy. And yeah, he has people right there to film him, that feeds one of the worst things about being trapped in the wild,....the loneliness factor. I'm down with survivor man, because he seems to work a lot harder to get his shots and make his show great. Plus, he is actually alone and only has a GPS in case of emergencies. I just dig that more for some reason.
3/20/08 10:24 AM
Jeepster
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-08
Survivorman is also a representation of a more average person dealing with a situation in the wilderness. Gay in his 40's, not supremely athletic, just tring to survive. MvW is entertainng, but many of his techniques are not for the average person.
4/2/08 4:32 PM
PassionOrange

Edited: Apr 2 2008 12:00A
QUESTION ?? when is the next new season of Man VS> WILD gonna be aired ? Thanks =)
4/29/08 3:42 AM
PassionOrange

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
yes this friday. new episodes of man vs wild cant wait to see it. seen the previews of the new episodes and its off the hook. a must see for Bear Gryll fans !!
6/13/08 4:46 AM
Jack Carter
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is that Survivorman does not go over as much information and examples as possible because is limited to what he can personally show whereas Bear Grylls packs in a lot of specific examples and information into one show because he has physical help and has a team constantly feeding him information.

I learn more from MvW than Survivorman even though Survivorman is the "real deal"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.