UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Survivorman / Man vs Wild

8/24/08 11:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Carter
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Armbreaker v2.0 -
Jack Carter - The problem is that Survivorman does not go over as much information and examples as possible because is limited to what he can personally show whereas Bear Grylls packs in a lot of specific examples and information into one show because he has physical help and has a team constantly feeding him information.

I learn more from MvW than Survivorman even though Survivorman is the "real deal"

considering 99% of what bear does, you can't do because you're not as physically gifted as he is, i'm willing to bet the amount of information you "learn" is alot greater than the amount of information you learn, that you can actually use.

bear is a genetic freak. what he does, works for him. it'll get the rest of us killed.

We've heard stories about people who survived in the wild based on what they learned from MvW. Not a single one can say the same for SM
8/26/08 1:39 PM
Jack Carter
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4170377

Survival Show Helps Save Boys' Lives

Sam Sejan's parents now may have second thoughts before telling the grade schooler to turn off the TV, after a recent show saved his life and two friends when they plunged through a frozen pond.

Sam and his friend Jerome Chalson were playing with a third pal on a frozen pond in Binghamton, N.Y., this weekend when the ice beneath them suddenly gave way.

"It didn't crack. We just fell through. We didn't hear a sound," Sam said.

The blistering cold temperatures could have spelled tragedy for the boys, who were fully clothed and up to their necks in frigid water.

"It was just very scary, like I was going to die," Jerome said.

As the boys yelled for help, Sam recalled an episode of the Discovery Channel's "Man vs. Wild," a survivalist show where host Bear Grylls strands himself in wilderness destinations where tourists often find themselves in danger.

In the show Sam learned he should remove his wet clothes and move quickly to avoid hypothermia if he ever fell through ice.

adsonar_placementId=1280600;adsonar_pid=59749;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=165;adsonar_zh=220;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';

"I remembered that and I did the exact same thing," Sam said.

8/26/08 1:42 PM
Jack Carter

MvW is superior because it packs in as much information as possible in part by creating scenarios. Survivorman just goes with the flow & can for an entire show not really teach you a single fucking thing other than "Fuck it's hot! I can't go on! Gotta call in for help! Something you can't do if you were on your own!"
8/26/08 5:14 PM
Jack Carter

I gave you an actual recap of a survivorman episode. Yeah, your bad
9/4/08 1:29 AM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Les might be more legit but Bear ALWAYS has "sufficient cordage."
11/25/09 9:16 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw a show once about a test to go on a 300 mile trek across Australia. One guy had all this high tech gear and clothes and there were some other contestants, one of which was an aborigine who only had what he could carry, and in bare feet. He took longer to make it but found his own food and water and survived. The high tech guy made great progress but then got very bad blisters and either didn't make it or did so just barely. Pretty cool.

Can't recall the name of the show...

12/7/09 5:36 PM
tudorantin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Dick Proenneke. This is a true wilderness survival man. I think Dick might have been some of the inspiration for the Survivorman show.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

Also, there was a Brit-gent that was trekking, by foot, around the world, by himself. Started around Cape Horn, followed the Pacific Coast all the way up to Alaska, and waited for the deep freeze between Russia/North America before trekking across. Last I ever heard he was arrested in Russia or somewhere close for not coming into the country "legally". He was making his way to the English Channel where he was to swim across and head home. Last heard about him a year or so ago.
12/14/09 9:11 PM
CavRyda
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would rather watch Man vs Wild

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.