UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> TASER Moratorium/ shelving?

4/30/07 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Apr-07
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.

I have been reading the newslines and listening to NPR on TASER issues and seen several sources quoted as saying that agencies are shelving TASERS. One lady stated that as many as several dozen have done so, without stating which ones. I have searched and searched and all I can come up with is endless calls from Amnesty Intl and various state branches of the ACLU for moratoriums, which to my observation, have not been granted in any community. Does anyone know what agency, if any, has shelved their TASERS?
5/2/07 2:46 AM
CptCrunch

Edited: 02-May-07
I follow TASER Inc. pretty close and don't know of any depts that have quit using them.
5/2/07 9:58 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 02-May-07 10:06 PM
My search has yielded nada. if I didn't know better, I'd think that Amnesty International and the ACLU were circulating bogus info about agencies shelving their TASERs in hopes of causing other agencies to panic and do the same. But that would be unethical, so I'm sure that's not the case.
5/3/07 7:57 AM
Neckcranku
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-07
The Chesapeake, VA PD stopped using tasers a few years ago.
5/6/07 4:04 PM
TacticalGrappler

Edited: 06-May-07
Its amazing to me that they try to whittle away at every non-lethal option officers have, apparently not comprehending that this will leave cops with a force continuum that goes empty hand - gun, resulting in many more shootings. Of course, they'd like to take the guns away, too....
5/6/07 6:46 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 06-May-07
Exactly. Taser is the current target, but the same campaign was mounted against the LVNR, Pepper Spray, Baton, etc. ACLU and AI are in the business of keeping Law Enforcement in check by way of constant pressure to stop whatever it is they are doing. I had just finished giving a presentation at an NAACP meeting on Use of Force when a lady came up to me with a "question". I should have guessed by her stereotypical tree-hugger appearance (birkenstocks, frumpy clothes, long straw like brown hair that was streaked with gray and not a lick of make-up). She told me that my presentation was misguided and that we were teaching our officers wrong. When I asked for clarification, she explained that when we went to put our hands on someone and they actively resisted, that we should not take that as a sign to escalate because they "are probably just scared" and "don't realize what is happening" and that we should let go of them and go back to talking. I explained to her that we do plenty of talking because we don't want to fight with people, but in the end they are not going to cuff themselves. She couldn't comprehend that some people have to be wrestled into handcuffs.
6/3/07 2:32 PM
Kalel

Edited: 03-Jun-07
People need to know that Tasers save suspects lives and keep them from serious injuries in certain confrations. In our Department we turn out 4 to 6 tasers each tour and basicly our citizens know we carry them. the resisting arrest situations are so much less now. The taser is the ultimate detereent(except for k9) anti american groups like the ACLU and amnesty international realize that if everydepartment went full carry on taser police brutalty and excessive force complaints would all but disapper and there job of america bashing and trouble making would get harder.
6/10/07 2:06 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Jun-07
a just and orderly society is a lot like hot dogs. everyone loves the taste, but nobody wants to see how it's made.
9/22/07 7:32 AM
jso5912

Edited: 22-Sep-07
The Jacksonville Sheriffs Office in Jacksonville, FL had a temporary Moratorium where we had them shelved....our Sheriff did a big study and came back out with them citing officer safety and PUBLIC safety...esp when tied in with excited delirium cases....fast and safe resolution... he managed to sway public opinion with a good argument and education which shocked me...
11/10/07 2:56 AM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Nov-07
my dept recently bought 1700 of them
11/10/07 9:22 AM
Kalel

Edited: 10-Nov-07
Darth, You must work at a very large dept. are you going to be full carry (every officer turns out with one ) My dept is almost full carry we have 6 but the x model are always needing repeair.
11/10/07 6:16 PM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Nov-07 06:20 PM
They'll be sign-out to every officer (most officers) at beginning of shift (detachable belt clip holster) I work for that department on the far west coast who Cannot Handle Policework.
11/11/07 1:47 PM
Kalel

Edited: 11-Nov-07
well the taser will help for sure it is amazing the reduction in use of force incidents since we have been carrying them.
5/1/08 9:09 PM
OZ1

I hope this never happens!! I love my taser man! big time deterent!
7/17/08 11:51 PM
BigDawgCrab

Grand Rapids BJJ, Owner
Every Officer at my department carries one....best tool given to us in the last several years!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.