UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Boar hunting trips in summer/fall?

4/30/07 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Apr-07 01:55 PM

Gents,
A friend of mine and I would like to do a boar hunt, but we're not sure where to go. We'd like to go in the late summer or early fall. Neither of us has blackpowder or (good enough) bows, so it'd have to be shotgun. Distance isn't an issue, as we can fly anywhere and rent a car.
Can anyone give a recommendation? States? Guides? Package deals?

I'm brand new to hunting, but I'm very psyched about getting started.
5/3/07 8:52 AM
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-07
I found a few online that look promising.
Pennsylvania - http://www.hunt-tioga.com/index.html
North Carolina - http://www.chestnuthuntinglodge.com/
Tennessee - http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com/

All seem to run about $600-$700 for a whole deal. We're definitely trying to avoid the "pig in a pen" hunt, and I'd rather not be doing a lodge at all, but I can't think of another way that I'm going to learn how to hunt.
5/6/07 8:22 AM
jscorbett
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-May-07
If I were paying for a hunt during that time, I would definitely go to a cooler area than south GA or FL. Probably some of those listed above would work well. Checking references would be good, too, to make sure that the hunts aren't canned. I spend well over $1,000 on my hunting and only took 1 hog this past season (the drought took them back deep into the swamp), so, putting it altogether for a successful hunt can't be a bad idea.
6/22/07 11:56 AM
SMS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-07
Brady Ranch in South Florida is awesome for boar hunts....they have a website as well
6/22/07 2:22 PM
Willybone

Thanks for the feedback.
I've settled on Tioga Hunting Preserve in Pennsylvania. It's 1500 acres and the boar are allowed to roam free through all of it. I've asked about the place at a local gun shop and they didn't consider Tioga to be "canned".
I feel a little weird about taking a guided hunt on a preserve, because so many people have an impression that it's unsportsman-like. But, I think it's a good idea for my first time hunting ever. I know jackshit about hunting and field dressing, and no one I know hunts, so I'm viewing it as an educational trip. If I get my confidence up, I'll try branching out into hunting solo and without the preserve's boundaries. You gotta start somewhere, and it's better to start with an expert's help.

Florida might be too hot for me in the late summer, but if I enjoy this trip, that'd make a great fall/early spring getaway weekend.
6/22/07 10:44 PM
jscorbett
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great. Good luck. Take alot of notes and photos and share with us.
8/2/07 7:20 AM
topteam71
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-07
Willybone, I have went to Tioga for a boar hunt in 2006, the boar are fenced in, but it a fair amout of acres you have to stalk them in. It took us over 2 hours just to locate a group, then another 40 min trying to set-up for a shot. With a rifle it would be a lil easier, i was ground hunting with a bow. Overall it was worth the $ and I had a blast. My hog was about 210-225lbs, but their was a few that were larger a few smaller. If you looking for a decent sized one or a certain color, dont shoot the first pig you see, wait and pick one u want. My guide was Carl and he was a cool guy. So if u have any questions dont be afraid to ask.
8/2/07 9:16 AM
Willybone

Edited: 02-Aug-07
Overall it was worth the $ and I had a blast.
Awesome! That's exactly the kind of reassurance I was looking for. It's not cheap, so it'd better be fun.
I'm looking for an eating hog, so I don't want anything too big. I've been working on my marksmanship with the slug gun and I'm dead on at 40 yards now. We'll see if that holds up under pressure.
Since I love target archery, I'm thinking of trying the bow on my next hunt.
Thanks again for the feedback.
8/17/07 7:18 PM
coach

Edited: 17-Aug-07
If you're in Cali, Hunter Leggett is where we go.
8/20/07 11:17 AM
Willybone

Edited: 20-Aug-07
Thanks everyone for the input.
Last weekend, I went on the Tioga trip and had my very first hunt. I plan on writing more about it later, but I had a GREAT time. The hunt was exciting. I got two boar. I've got 100+lbs of pork in my freezer. The food was excellent. And everyone there, hunter or staff, was very friendly. Fucking awesome and I'll be hunting again, hopefully soon.

Me in my shiny new gear

My first boar and first required pose

My buddy took his with his Saiga

They look bigger and meaner hanging

Larry was the only guy that weekend who dropped his in one shot, with this sweet 44mag. Nice guy.

Celebratory cigar and Dr. Pepper/Scotch

I didn't want to boil the heads, so I'm burying them for a year
10/30/07 3:46 PM
BobAsh

Edited: 30-Oct-07
Nice!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.