UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> When did SPEAR become SPEAR

10/16/02 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Galu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Oct-02

Tony, I was wondering when the SPEAR system really crystalized for you. Were you working the flinch response and you just saw it, or did the name fit early on and it grew from there? A little SPEAR history please. Mike Galu
10/17/02 10:00 PM
Naso

Edited: 17-Oct-02
Good question, Mike! I'll be watching for the answer as well. Strength & Honor, Naso Karas
10/23/02 10:30 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 23-Oct-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Guys, I will get to this ASAP, but too busy right now. Stay tuned. T
10/25/02 3:20 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 25-Oct-02 04:09 PM
"I was wondering when the SPEAR system really crystalized for you. " About 6 months ago :-) "Were you working the flinch response and you just saw it, or did the name fit early on and it grew from there?" I was working on a high risk isolation drill (1988ish) called the SUCKER PUNCH drill, my partner was very good (at boxing) He was allowed to strike me anytime to any target and the rules did not allow me to do anything other than avoid & evade, but the catch was that we had to start like an altercation - at talking range - not sparring range. INcluding the dialogue and the proximity changed everything. During the inaugral drill which lasted a couple of hours, I was forced to flinch often to protect my face. At the end of the session (brusied, swollen and a little bloodied) I reflected at the frequency of failure from the 'tactics' side of the arsenal vs the reflexive side of things....when I flinched I was almost always safe, when I tried some interception, block, parry I was 50/50 etc. Over a period of time I rationalized and realized through intuitive research that most (all) complex motor skill counters require a specifc well-timed blend and degree of skill, awareness, distance and timing to pull off, a lot to ask for in a credible street defense scenario! At extreme close distances with distractions, most sequential attack & counter relationships DO NOT co- exist...and when truly startled by a rhythm break or sudden attack,the body's reactive brain/survival system overides the cognitve brain's control over muscle memory skills...this was the foundation for what I now refer to as 'counter-ambush principles'. In other words...I flinched first to save my neck and then contemplated to experience, again, that was back in 1988ish.... The flinching fascinated me ( though I didnt know what I was doing or why), I began to monitor it but without interferance (key concept!) all the while continuing to develop our other skills. Another critical observation in the SUCKER drill was that closer was better when people were swinging. In short time I began penetrating the attack and then develpoed all sorts of drills and principles to explain and identify what & why (Mental Blue Print Theory/Psychological Voids, CWCT, Pre- COntact CUes, Emotional Climate Drill and more)... The first time the SPEAR 'name' was used was as an icon for 'direction & commitment' when urging a tentative student to attack the attack at the pre-contact moment...i.e. "Be the SPEAR , you are the SPEAR, Charge the attack, MOVE IN!!" The name was only coined in the early 90's after working with a military team on the West coast who asked me what the SPEAR acronym stood for... :-) there wasnt one! 2 weeks later I was teaching in Normandy, France and was jotting ideas for S P E A R on a board and came up with a term that refelcted what I was trying to tap into as it connected with sudden violence, close proximity and the suddeness of the startle/flinch...and an evolutionary system was born: S.P.E.A.R: Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response.... the system continues to evolve to the present. THere's a lot more of this in the ARCHIVES seciton of my web site. Tony
10/25/02 6:15 PM
Naso

Edited: 25-Oct-02
WOW!! That was excellent! Good question, Mike!!! Strength & Honor, Naso Karas
10/26/02 7:25 AM
Mike Galu

Edited: 26-Oct-02
Thanks Tony. Another piece of the puzzle in place. Mike Galu
11/20/02 1:15 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 20-Nov-02
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.