UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Duke Cheating Scandal!!!

5/1/07 4:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bill Brasky Jr
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-May-07

34 Duke MBA Students Charged with Cheating

DURHAM - In the largest cheating scandal in the history of Duke University's Fuqua School of Business, 34 MBA students face steep penalties after university officials determined they collaborated on answers of an exam.
Nine students face expulsion, said Mike Hemmerich, an associate dean at the business school. Fifteen will receive a one-year suspension from the school along with a failing grade in the course. Nine will only get a failing grade in the course. One student received a failing grade for the exam. Four students were found not guilty. All were from the class of 2008.

Federal privacy laws prevent naming the involved students, said Hemmerich, who wouldn't disclose the affected course or what the test was about. He only said those involved were first-year students taking a required test.

A professor noticed unusual consistencies in the answers of a take-home exam, which students are supposed to do on their own, Hemmerich said. Further investigation disclosed students were meeting in groups to work on the test. Students are allowed to use notes and other materials for the exam. Hemmerich wasn't sure if the convicted students gathered at once or in separate groups. The students were found guilty by Fuqua's judicial board after the panel heard 22 separate cases over several weeks.

"Fuqua depends on every member of its community to uphold the code in both spirit and action," Fuqua dean Douglas T. Breeden said in a written statement. "This is why we require, as a condition for enrollment, that all students acknowledge their personal acceptance of the code."

The honor code is nothing new for Fuqua students, who are provided copies of it when they apply to the school and during student orientation. It is also discussed in a leadership and ethics class and the code's preamble is displayed in classrooms.

Hemmerich expects the students to appeal, which will take about a month. They are considered regular students and can participate in classes and final exams until then.

Go Heels!

On a side note, as a future TarHeel I hope this doesn't hurt corporate recruiting in the RTP area. 

5/1/07 4:49 PM
Bill Brasky Jr
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/1/07 5:12 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are they lacrosse players?
5/1/07 5:14 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MBA are most likely to cheat of any degree program. I tired to find it but could not, but some stat said something like 74% of MBA's admit to cheating. My buddy got his MBA from Harvard and he said everyone fucking cheated on everything they could.
5/1/07 8:20 PM
PatK
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone I know with an MBA has cheated at some point, unless they were some kind of science major (biology, chemistry)
5/1/07 9:35 PM
Gforce
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucked up thing is that you are better off with an armed robbery on your record than a conviction for cheating in college as your future.
5/1/07 11:30 PM
Bill Brasky Jr

An expulsion from an MBA program likely means those kids' careers are over. They won't be able to get into any other top MBA programs, and more than likely they won't be able to get into law school either. If they're i-bankers or consultants they will not be rehired by their companies or any others. Another thing: I'm not so deluded that I think cheating isn't rampant at all top MBA programs. However, in the current business climate, a HUGE importance is placed on ethics and integrity. Hell, read the application essays of any top MBA program. I can guarantee you there will be one dealing with ethics and integrity. Cheating happens, sure, but these guys picked the wrong time to get caught.
5/5/07 1:30 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 05-May-07
"are they lacrosse players?" Why in the world would this be the case?
5/7/07 11:59 PM
elcollins
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-07
I'm no genius, but a take home exam just seems like a terrible idea, and an example of a professor creating his own problems.
5/14/07 1:19 AM
Bill Brasky Jr

Edited: 14-May-07
I'm no genius, but a take home exam just seems like a terrible idea, and an example of a professor creating his own problems.

The reason a lot of top MBA programs use take-home exams is that they exams are very involved, and often take from 8 to 10 hours or more to complete.  It's just not feasible to have students sit in a classroom to take such an exam. 
1/10/10 5:37 PM
judo man

You are paying a SHITLOAD of money to get a degree. I would cheat to. Most of the stuff usually consists of memorizing stuff you don't even use anyway. So big deal.
1/10/10 5:45 PM
Rhymenoceros

judo man - You are paying a SHITLOAD of money to get a degree. I would cheat to. Most of the stuff usually consists of memorizing stuff you don't even use anyway. So big deal.

First, wtf are you doing commenting on threads from 2.5 years ago?

Second, you have zero integrity.

Third, you have no idea what an MBA level exam consists of.

I can honestly say I didn't cheat on a single exam, project, or assignment my entire MBA education, which included two top programs. I can't say the same for some of my classmates, but it's definitely possible to do very well without cheating.
2/11/14 7:25 PM
mmaresearchstudy
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have taught in an MBA program for 8 years and we would on average catch 10% of the course a term.
2/11/14 7:47 PM
Rhymenoceros

Timely post.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.