UnderGround Forums

Arizona Underground >> Laurita Opinions?

5/2/07 12:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sarcazmo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-May-07

Looks like Laurita's school @ 19th and Union Hills is the closest bjj school to my house. 15.82 miles. I was wondering how the instruction is there? How much are classes? I sent an email, but don't expect a response until tomorrow. Long ago I trained @ Phoenix Grappling center at 24th and Thomas and I really liked it, it's just a hell of a commute now. I'm @ 98th st and Bell, any other reccomendations? *edit* just mapquested ACS, its only 5 miles further apparently, would I be better off going there? (Although rush hour would make it a bitch) Thanks
5/5/07 3:27 PM
AFTC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-May-07
Yes It Hurts - fight gear
Meagatons is probably closer. teammegaton.net for info.
5/15/07 12:50 PM
Fite
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-07
Did Laurita come out of Megaton's camp?
5/16/07 1:37 AM
yojimbo71

Edited: 16-May-07
Elite Combat Sports is at 51st Avenue and Thunderbird. They have BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA. They just opened too.
5/16/07 2:04 AM
sarcazmo

Edited: 16-May-07
Any info on Elite Combat Sports? Website? Instructors, qualifications etc?
5/20/07 12:15 AM
parrishmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-May-07
Yes Laurita came from Meg's camp but didnt get his black belt from him.
5/24/07 11:32 AM
sonnyd

Edited: 24-May-07 11:36 AM
Zeebjj.net good GI class an solid Muay Thai instructors. I have trained with the guys who opened up Elite and they are all very and have good knowledge of mma.
6/12/07 9:09 AM
parrishmma
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jun-07
JR, there was a couple different stories about who Jerry got his black belt from. It was either Joe or Hellraiser. I really cant remember. I think the purple belt you are talking about is Sal Azuela. That guy was/is very good. I dont know if he is still with Laurita though. A couple months ago he fought at Rage in the Cage under the school Attitude First. But maybe he is training at both, cause I saw alot of people there with Laurita shirts supporting Sal. He has always been a favorite of mine to watch. Jerry has produced some very good competitors.
6/13/07 10:20 PM
AZChokester

Edited: 13-Jun-07
I've been a student of Jerry laurita for 7 years. I'm a purple belt abd train at the Union Hills School. Jerry got his Black Belt from Joe Moriera. I believe it was in July of 2000. Jerry got his 2nd Dan from Joe last year. Hellraiser also got the black from Joe M., but it was after Jerry. Joe comes out to the school about 2 or 3 times a year. Great school with lots of good people. Sal Azuela still trains at Jerry's. He does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu there and trains MMA with the guys at Attitude first. Sal is an absolute monster on the mat. twice he has won gold at the Pan Ams, at least one silver and one bronze. Great Grappler, great guy and a good friend of mine. He will be an outstanding mma fighter, but he is still learning that game. Come on over and try a class if you are interested.
6/14/07 2:41 PM
AFTC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-07
Yes It Hurts - fight gear
I coach Sal at Attitude First. He is a stud but also a quality person. His stand up has greatly improved in the last 2 months. Look for him to be fighting again in July. (185-190 made me laugh. I have trouble getting him down to 205) Hey AZChokie see my post about needing refs! (Hint, hint)
6/14/07 9:55 PM
AZChokester

Edited: 14-Jun-07
MIKE; I would always be available to ref. I once started the process to get licensed, but decided not to. I have since retired and have nothing but time now....... Sal is also a sweet kisser.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.