UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> How fast are you?

10/18/02 7:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
temp152885
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-02

I was having a conversation yesterday with Tony Blauer and we got on the subject of how "fast" a fighter is. Tony had shared with me a definition that had created a number of realizations for me as a student of PDR material as well as an appreciation of the clarity by which the system teaches and defines. I am looking forward to sharing this "little onion" with you. However, before I do, I would like to toss out there the subject of "how fast" or "the speed" of a fighter and what your observations and definitions are. Thanks Joe Mullings
10/18/02 9:10 AM
jmoore

Edited: 18-Oct-02
To me, in self defense, speed is not a mechanical measurement but has everything to do with perception and body movement. If I can hit the other guy without him seeing it, or without him being able to react to it - I was as fast as I need to be. Several things contribute to this: Non-telegraphic strikes, The closest weapon closest target principle, hidden strikes, multiple hits from a single movement, and things to increase my opponents reactionary gap. The perceptual component involves recognizing pre-contact cues. The sooner I recognize the guy's going to slug me the "faster" my reaction will be.
10/19/02 9:01 PM
Naso

Edited: 19-Oct-02
Joe, Speed is directly related to time in that it is distance covered over time. In order to be "fast" you must act BEFORE the other guy does. You've got to move SOONER than he does. That's what makes you "fast"...I think. By being familiar with the pre-contact cues that your oppenent displays you can and will move sooner than he. I hope this makes some sense. Strength & Honor, Naso Karas
10/20/02 12:23 AM
Zen dawgFL

Edited: 20-Oct-02 01:52 PM
Random thoughts on fast(in no particular order) A)The sooner the better. B)Awareness equals sooner. C)Sometimes being sudden is better than being fast. D)A distracted opponent is a slower opponent. E)Thought sometimes slows(and sometimes kills). F)Nueromuscular pathways are like trails through the forest of your responses. The more you walk the trails the faster the trips. Sorry if this is a stupid post but I am really tired. Take care, Troy
10/20/02 8:02 PM
temp152885

Edited: 20-Oct-02
Here you go guys, the beauty of the system straight from Coach....... Raw: genetic speed, not much to work with, its your natural blend of fast twitch/slow twitch Quickness: the controlled speed with which you can execute a learned motor skill (efficiency/economy) Suddenness: the efficient use of gap time between stimulus and response, i.e. the ability to move your body (raw) and skill (quickness) effectively. How quickly you can move suddenly is what counts!
10/23/02 10:23 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 23-Oct-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Good replies from all...you can see the interconnectedness of it all, but remember, when teaching, clarity rules: "The degree of clarity with which you define something determines it's usefulness" -TCMS Maxim Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.