UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Bike help (thread on OG)

5/10/07 5:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mikusoraiden
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-May-07 05:35 PM

http://www.mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=1047121&FID=2&pc=32 (Recommend me a motorbike - fokket) I've read some of the bike threads here on motorg, but this popped up on the OG and it actually applies to me as well as thread maker Fokket so I figured I'd post it here too. I'm leaving tomorrow (Fri.) to pick out a bike and could use some help today/tonight pls. I listed my options/preferences on 2nd page as well. Thx.
5/11/07 8:09 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-07
You didn't list your skill level or type of commuting. Surface streets or long freeway. I commute daily and my current bike is a suzuki SV650. this is the naked bike, not the svs which has lower bars and a fairing. I think it is pretty close to ideal for a city commute. Here is why: Handlebars: You sit upright and the bars give you awesome leverage for quick steering at lower speeds. This is very important for me since my commute involves the las vegas strip. Watch your ass and be ready to move!!!! Ergonomics: The bars + lower pegs makes it comfortable for long or short rides and the upright seating gives you an incredible view of the road that isn't blocked by instruments or windscreens. Powerband: Yes it makes 'only' 70 hp. But it makes close to peak torque by the time you've let the clutch all the way out. Linear power is there at almost any RPM which makes gear selection less of a chore. Mileage: I fill up at around 120 miles out of each tank but it'll go 150. And I'm on the gas all the freakin time, people that baby it more get better mileage. At $7 a tank why bother? Have some fun! Looks? Well some say its ugly, some love the naked bike look. Mine isn't stock but its not extremely modded either:
5/12/07 3:03 AM
Mikusoraiden
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07
I really do like the naked sv's. Thanks for the post slacker. I appreciate the time you take to post helpful and knowledgable posts for the nubs like myself. Fokket may still need some help...but I came home with a bike today. Yay! I cringe at the thought of mentioning what I purchased, though, for fear of the veterans getting on my case. I prolly deserve a good talkin' to...'02 Suzuki GSX-R1000. Its rather intimidating; this fugger can move. I promise I will do my part to a responsible and humble rider. I suppose the rest is up to the bike and fellow roadmates. They just didn't have any 600's in my price range or to my tastes. My first riding safety class is next weekend and I can hardly wait. (TEAM Oregon-BRT-Basic Rider Training) I plan on taking the intermediate and advanced classes when appropriate. *sigh* I'm so f'n giddy right now.
5/12/07 3:03 AM
Mikusoraiden

pics to follow tomorrow
5/12/07 11:50 AM
Mikusoraiden

5/12/07 4:45 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. Be safe on that bike man. It has more power than anyone needs on the street. Throttle control should be your #1 priority starting out. Make sure you've got full gear on. Where in oregon are you? I grew up in portland but have never ridden a street bike there. There are some great roads if its not raining.
5/12/07 7:01 PM
Mikusoraiden

I live in central Oregon...Bend/Redmond. There are some great roads here too! I travelled to Hillsboro (Motorsport Hillsboro) for my bike and I must say that I am not used to that much traffic. I can't ever picture myself riding a bike in those hectic highway conditions. "My god" @ throttle control. You ain't a kiddin'. I barely move the throttle at all and it screams. So far (in my three short short test trips) that has been my main focus for sure. I figure this bike will help me develope good skills, though. I have full gear 'cept for the pants which they are mailing to me. They didn't have my size at the shop so they ordered them. Alpinestars hard boots, gloves, and leather jacket, and an HJC helmet.
5/12/07 8:48 PM
big_slacker

Actually as far as skill development its not a great tool. This is an I 'told you so' post, just the facts. What would you think is a better way to learn to drive a car? A: Start on a go-kart at a track. Learn how it feels to go full throttle, where the limits of traction are, what happens when you exceed them. Maybe get involved with a kart racing league. Take a driver's ed class, learn the rules of the road. Drive with an instructor. Start out in a honda civic and continue your kart racing. Every couple of years move up to a more powerful car when you're B: Hop in an indy car and just start driving it on the street from day 1. Who do you think will be the better driver? Valentino Rossi (google if you don't know who the best motorcycle rider in the world is) started out racing mini bikes as a kid, moved up to 125's, then 250's then 500's. Being able to not kill yourself on an overwhelmingly fast bike is not the same as developing good riding skills. This doesn't mean you won't eventually get to be a decent or even good rider. It is just a lot harder to do on a bike like that. You'll see what I mean in a few years. :D Fear not though, I started my street riding on a pretty fast bike that wasn't the best for learning on as well. I consider myself at least a capable rider who knows his limits and can ride fairly smoothly through traffic or the twisties. But I owe the suspension engineers at honda a beer or two, cause they saved my ass a few times. Other than that, its good you've got gear just in case. Explore your limits slowly and be safe.
5/12/07 9:04 PM
PeterIrl
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07 09:47 PM
"I cringe at the thought of mentioning what I purchased, though, for fear of the veterans getting on my case. I prolly deserve a good talkin' to...'02 Suzuki GSX-R1000. Its rather intimidating; this fugger can move. I promise I will do my part to a responsible and humble rider. I suppose the rest is up to the bike and fellow roadmates. They just didn't have any 600's in my price range or to my tastes." Oh dear, you're going to need these: Seriously though, its a helluva bike for a first bike. 140bhp at the back wheel with questionable brakes. My advice, if you're sticking with it is to take it easy and get shitloads of training in. Go to the superbike school ride days and learn your bike!!!!!!
5/12/07 11:54 PM
Mikusoraiden

Edited: 13-May-07 12:01 AM
Already have the card and let the fam know, thanks though, Peter! :p Are brake upgrades something I should look into? Do I have any other motorcycle/sportbike training options in Oregon (other than TEAM Oregon) that you know of? (I already tried searching google and got http://wheels-in-motion.com/USA.html#Oregon that only shows TEAM Oregon)
5/13/07 1:20 AM
SlatstheFist
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-07
O boy. Im looking at a CBR 125 or a Kawi 250 or maybeeeee. an cbr600f4i as my first bike. But leaning towards the first 2. No way i'd be going anywhere near that beast you have. But good luck and be safe.
5/13/07 2:01 AM
Mikusoraiden

Good luck to you as well slats, thanks. Right now I'm still just happy enough to look out my window and see it standing there doing 0mph lol.
5/13/07 11:54 AM
big_slacker

PIR is your closest track I think. Make it a weekend road trip. http://www.pssrtrack.com/ These guys have track days and instructions for beginners. And holy shit! I just checked and my old BJJ instructor is a teacher there! That is crazy!
5/13/07 12:02 PM
Mikusoraiden

kick ass...that is something I would certainly be interested in when money allows. ty again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.