UnderGround Forums

Jen >> How to Stop 2 Passes

5/12/07 6:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pitbullxyz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07

I know the leg on shoulder is one of your best passes and I was wondering what someone defending the pass should look for. For example, let's say I'm going for a triangle on an opponent with a very good leg on shoulder (dumb I know). He has great posture, forward pressure, head up, etc and he's got my hips up, weight on my neck and he's passing. Say that my triangle is already lost and I have no intention of turtling (opponent has great back attacks), what should I do to defend the pass to the best of my abilities? I know the whole 'push on his tricep and sit up' thing, but sometimes when you're really stacked, this is just not an option. Any other tips? Secondly, a similiar pass, say I'm playing spider guard, how do you stop the one where your opponent basically quickly grabs your pants (you don't have a chance to break grips) and now he has your right foot/leg pinned above your head on the ground. Now he's just walking around your spider guard and your legs are trapped?
5/16/07 2:22 PM
sayonaisse

Edited: 16-May-07
I don't think I've ever had a situation against the leg on shoulder pass that I didn't push off his lat/back shoulder and didn't sit up or get out. I wouldn't really push the tricep myself.
5/16/07 10:47 PM
Bolo

Edited: 16-May-07
The key to any technique is proper alignment of the body. The reason why leg on shoulder can be so difficult to counter is because the pass counter rotates your body. When your body is counter rotated, it becomes very weak. Unless you remove this counter rotation, you won't have effective power to do any technique to stop the pass. If you opponent is at a range in which he can grab your pants, but your hands cannot touch him, you should not be playing a type of guard in which you lay on your back with your legs up in the air. You need to sit up and have your feet go to the ground.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.