UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Bike nuts, opinions please

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/12/07 8:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07

Howdy all! My missus has decided that enough's enough and she wants to get back on two wheels. Her last bike was a 900rr about three years ago that she sold to go travelling(incidentally how we met;-)) We've been looking at a few bikes and saw a 2005 Kwak ZX6R(636) that might fit the bill. Its got 16000km on the clock and was owned by a cashed up guy who bought it as a return to biking and trackday tool but only commuted on it. Bike is immaculate and has a shitload of goodies including resprung and valved suspension front and rear(think he was a bit of a fatty), PC3, full Hindle Titanium system, hyperpro damper, braided lines and some funky levers that must have cost the bones of $500. Tyres will need changing as they've been squared off(there's about two inches of virgin rubber on either side though, I shit you not). We can get it for under $10800AUD on the road. Just wondering what your opinions are on the 6R as I've never ridden one Also, I've seen a couple of SP1's going for reasonable cash(would have to sell my project car and my bike to cover the balance though) My current bike is a 929rr, should I stick with it or return to the twinnage? Both bikes are from the same year, only vastly different in power delivery and handling. I've had the VTR1000F before and loved the mental, easy power of the twins. Any SP owners or people who've ridden both? Good/bad idea?
5/12/07 9:52 PM
howsyourhead
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07
Damn $10800????How much is that US? Im not a huge kawi fan, but I cant deny that the 636 is a damn nice bike. Great low end power for a middleweight and its lighter then that pig of an 07' zx6r. I road a friends out at the track a while back and was really suprised that they let them race that thing with the 599cc bikes. It is definately at an advantage. Not quite 750 fast, but close.
5/13/07 12:16 AM
Mikusoraiden
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-07
$8186.59 US currency converter
5/14/07 6:24 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-May-07
636 is a top bike. If I remember rightly - they were the first to come with a slipper clutch (I know the ZX6RR homologated race bike did - not sure about the 636) The revalve may be a problem not a plus. Unless your Mrs is bit on the heavy side as well it may need to be re done for her weight. Relaibillty wise they are well built and dont have many problems. If the bike has been looked after then you should have no real issues. The only reocurring problem my work shop has had with them is a fault on the side stand cut of switch. It caused hours of fault diagnostics to locate a loose connection on the side stand cut off switch. Lots of tourqe for a 600 (well kind of cheating with it being a 636) and bags of power. They are a little big for a 600 though and need to be set up to turn quickly. All in all a very good bike. as for the SP1 Vs 929 issue - well I would burn the 929 and get the SP1 right away :-) Im not a fan of twins but the SP1 is the best Vtwin ever made. Ok they are a little heavy and dated now, but in the right hands they are still missiles. It a modern clasic. If you do get one watch out for the engine braking its brutal.
5/16/07 10:26 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-07
SP1=RC51?
5/17/07 1:15 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-07
Yep RC-51 is teh SP1
5/17/07 9:01 AM
Ponyboy
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-07
From the tire condition, I would assume that ZX6 is barely broken in..........sweet.
5/21/07 9:00 AM
PeterIrl
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-May-07
Well, my missus took the 6R for a test ride and fell in love with it on the spot, bargained 'em down to a little over 10k for it too. I've done the math on the extras with the bike, they come to about 4k(at the very least) on their own. I've decided not to trade in my blade off an SP, for the simple reason that I can't afford it. Have found a place to get my suspension revalved(which is my main annnoyance atm, the 929's stock suspension is not made for 97kg guys) and it won't break the bank either. Will save my cash for either an SP@ or 2006 100rr(my dream bike) next year instead. Will post pics of the new addition to the family as soon as she gets it home, then I'm stealing it for a test ride:-)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.