UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> honest opinion on dogfighting?

5/14/07 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pulsar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-May-07
Oh, I thought you were lamenting with me on what a crazy world we live in.. What don't you get mate? Hmm, though I just read your posts, I'm not sure what you're bringing to the table either...
5/14/07 12:26 AM
HeWhoCannotBNamd

You are scum. That is all.
5/14/07 1:44 AM
yojimbo71

Dogfighting is disgusting.
5/14/07 3:04 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-May-07 03:11 AM
It's cool...for guys who are too afraid to fight themselves. Seriously, the whole pit bull thing in general (IOW, there are exceptions) is lame. You probably won't find the best fighters running around with penis- extensions-on-a-leash, oh, I mean pit bulls. But you will find a bunch of second-tier, tatted out, ex (or pre-) cons doing it. John
5/14/07 3:50 AM
BigBopper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one who eats pork has any moral authority to oppose dogfighting. ----- Approximately 100 million pigs are raised and slaughtered in the U.S. every year. As babies, they are subjected to painful mutilations without anesthesia or pain relievers. Their tails are cut off to minimize tail biting, an aberrant behavior that occurs when these highly-intelligent animals are kept in deprived factory farm environments. In addition, notches are taken out of the piglets' ears for identification. By two to three weeks of age, 15% of the piglets will have died. Those who survive are taken away from their mothers and crowded into pens with metal bars and concrete floors. A headline from National Hog Farmer magazine advises, "Crowding Pigs Pays...", and this is exemplified by the intense overcrowding in every stage of hog confinement systems. Pigs will live this way, packed into giant, warehouse-like sheds, until they reach a slaughter weight of 250 pounds at 6 months old. The air in hog factories is laden with dust, dander, and noxious gases, which are produced as the animals' urine and feces builds up inside the sheds. Studies of workers in swine confinement buildings have found sixty percent to have breathing problems, despite their spending only a few hours a day inside confinement buildings. For pigs, who spend their entire lives in factory farm confinement, respiratory disease is rampant. Modern hog factories are fertile breeding grounds for a wide variety of diseases. A pork industry report explains: Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome, or PRRS, was first reported in U.S. herds in 1987. It is now estimated to be in as many as 60 percent of U.S. herds...Swine arthritis has increased in economic importance with confinement rearing, partly because of damage related to flooring conditions and partly because of faster growth rates and lack of exercise...The incidence of salmonellosis has continued to increase. It is estimated that one-third to half of farms have some level of salmonellosis...Epidemic transmissible gastroenteritis, or TGE, is a dreaded disease because it's hard to keep out of herds, there's no effective treatment and it carries a devastating mortality rate in baby pigs. Nearly all pigs less than 10 days old die if infected...Forty to 70 percent of U.S. pigs show evidence of infection with bratislava (a type of Leptospirosis)...Tests indicate 80 percent to 85 percent of sows in major swine producing areas have been exposed to parvovirus. Modern breeding sows are treated like piglet-making machines. Living a continuous cycle of impregnation and birth, each sow has more than 20 piglets per year. After being impregnated, the sows are confined in gestation crates ? small metal pens just two feet wide that prevent sows from turning around or even lying down comfortably. At the end of their four-month pregnancies, they are transferred to similarly cramped farrowing crates to give birth. With barely enough room to stand up and lie down and no straw or other type of bedding to speak of, many suffer from sores on their shoulders and knees. When asked about this, one pork industry representative wrote, "...straw is very expensive and there certainly would not be a supply of straw in the country to supply all the farrowing pens in the U.S." Numerous research studies conducted over the last 25 years have pointed to physical and psychological maladies experienced by sows in confinement. The unnatural flooring and lack of exercise causes obesity and crippling leg disorders, while the deprived environment produces neurotic coping behaviors such as repetitive bar biting and sham chewing (chewing nothing). After the sows give birth and nurse their young for two to three weeks, the piglets are taken away to be fattened, and the sows are re-impregnated. An article in Successful Farming explains, "Any sow that is not gestating, lactating or within seven days post weaning is non-active," and hog factories strive to keep their sows '100 % active' in order to maximize profits. When the sow is no longer deemed a productive breeder, she is sent to slaughter. The overcrowding and confinement is unnatural and stress-producing since pigs are actually very clean animals. If they are given sufficient space, pigs are careful not to soil the areas where they sleep or eat. But in factory farms, they are forced to live in their own feces, urine, vomit and even amid the corpses of other pigs. In addition to overcrowded housing, sows and pigs also endure extreme crowding in transportation, resulting in rampant suffering and deaths. As one hog industry expert writes: Death losses during transport are too high ? amounting to more than $8 million per year. But it doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out why we load as many hogs on a truck as we do. It's cheaper. So it becomes a moral issue. Is it right to overload a truck and save $.25 per head in the process, while the overcrowding contributes to the deaths of 80,000 hogs each year? Prior to being hung upside down by their back legs and bled to death at the slaughterhouse, pigs are supposed to be 'stunned' and rendered unconscious, in accordance with the federal Humane Slaughter Act. However, stunning at slaughterhouses is terribly imprecise, and often conscious animals are hung upside down, kicking and struggling, while a slaughterhouse worker tries to 'stick' them in the neck with a knife. If the worker is unsuccessful, the pig will be carried to the next station on the slaughterhouse assembly line ? the scalding tank ? where he/she will be boiled, alive and fully conscious.
5/14/07 3:52 AM
BigBopper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-May-07 03:57 AM
No one who eats veal has any moral authority to oppose dogfighting. ---- Within moments of birth, male calves born on dairies are taken away from their mothers and loaded onto trucks. Many are sold through auction rings where they are subjected to transportation and handling stresses. The fragile animals are shocked and kicked, and when they can no longer walk, they are dragged by their legs or even their ears. Every year, approximately one million calves are confined in crates measuring just two feet wide. They are chained by the neck to restrict all movement, making it is impossible for them to turn around, stretch, or even lie down comfortably. This severe confinement makes the calves' meat "tender" since the animals muscles cannot develop. Published scientific research indicates that calves confined in crates experience "chronic stress" and require approximately five times more medication than calves living in more spacious conditions. It is not surprising then, that veal is among the most likely meat to contain illegal drug residues which pose a threat to human health. Researchers have also reported that calves confined in crates exhibit abnormal coping behaviors associated with frustration. These include head tossing, head shaking, kicking, scratching, and stereotypical chewing behavior. Confined calves also experience leg and joint disorders and an impaired ability to walk. In addition to restricting the animals' movement, veal producers severely limit what their animals can eat. The calves are fed an all liquid milk-substitute which is purposely deficient in iron and fiber. It is intended to produce borderline anemia and the pale colored flesh fancied by 'gourmets'. At approximately sixteen weeks of age, these weak animals are slaughtered and marketed as "white" veal (also known as "fancy", "milk-fed", "special fed", and "formula fed" veal). Besides the expensive veal which comes from calves who are kept in small wooden crates, "bob" veal is the flesh of calves who may be slaughtered at just a few hours or days old. While these calves are spared intensive confinement, they are still subjected to inhumane transport, handling, and slaughter, and many die before reaching the slaughterhouse.
5/14/07 3:59 AM
BigBopper

"Secondly the killing of the pigs, as barbaric as it may be done, has a purpose that goes beyond just enjoying seeing animals in pain." As I wrote earlier in this thread: No one need to eat meat, much less farm-raised meat. We could avoid all that cruelty by eating tofu instead. But we don't, because we like the taste of meat. People eat meat for pleasure, people watch dogs fight for pleasure. There's no fundamental difference that makes you a good person for eating meat but a bad person for watching dogfighting.
5/14/07 4:01 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigBopper--

I don't eat Veal, and don't eat Pork.  The analogy to Veal is close (I'll admit), pigs, is a little further off.  When I did eat meat, I never ate veal when I found out what it was.  I do find that a vile, disgusting thing as well, and wish no one ate it after learning exactly what it is.

Again, there is a difference between raising for food, and simple entertainment.  Food is not the same as mere amusement.

5/14/07 4:06 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Secondly the killing of the pigs, as barbaric as it may be done, has a purpose that goes beyond just enjoying seeing animals in pain.

Fighting dogs however has no purpose besides being entertainment for sadists."

Very well put, I agree.   

"Because someone is wrong on one count, they can't be right on another?"

Agree as well.

5/14/07 4:08 AM
BigBopper

"Again, there is a difference between raising for food, and simple entertainment. Food is not the same as mere amusement." Why? Where's the flaw in my argument?
5/14/07 4:10 AM
BigBopper

"Because someone is wrong on one count, they can't be right on another?" How do we know which one is right?
5/14/07 4:18 AM
Macedawgg

Fecundity--

I read an article in Ethics way back when, and this concept was discussed at length.  Some things, like philosophy, for example, lead to other, and greater goods. 

Some things, like pinball (it was called pushpin in the article), are good, well, for the temporal jollies they provide, and nothing more.  In some cases, particular things actually lead to degenerative behaviors.

5/14/07 4:24 AM
PhilBaroni
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bodog is great. Top to bottom. Bodog treats the athletes and everyone involved in the promotion well. Im a huge fan and support bodog. NYBA Phil B
5/14/07 4:25 AM
Macedawgg

LMAO!

Nice Phil

5/14/07 6:24 AM
Chad Saunders

The whole thing is in the wild 2 pits/even males could wind up getting along, they r not all breed to fight, but they do have an agressive nature, more so than say a maltese, so if they r put into a corner, a pit will fight. roosters.gamecocks wutever u wanna call them if they meet n the wild they will often fight 2 death, if not its usually a scrap before one has enough and runs away, anybody that loves a pit bull or any dog after seeing a fight to the death whether on tape or in real life, u will find it disturbing, i felt like throwing up. i would never wanna see my pit scrap like that, they r so powerful 1 solid bite causes so much damage. i say pass watching a dog fight, and some cultres r unfortunetly entertained by it.
5/14/07 8:53 AM
GlenDanzig

honest opinion on dogfighting? Dogfighting is for worthless pieces of shit who are repulsive human beings. I'd love to take a baseball bat to the fucking disgusting assholes who torture dogs for fun and a little bit of money. There's my honest opinion.
5/14/07 9:15 AM
Afterbirth Sandwich

"roosters.gamecocks wutever u wanna call them if they meet n the wild they will often fight 2 death" lol, when was the last time you saw a wild rooster?
5/14/07 9:35 AM
JuJutsuJedi

The solution is simple. Dog fighting should be legal as long as the two owners of the dogs fighting are also forced to fight to the death as well.
5/14/07 9:48 AM
Socks

LOL! At Gotti line being considered an APBT
5/14/07 9:49 AM
bigmills008

Sick $hit. Those people involved should be killed Tower of London style.
5/14/07 9:57 AM
Socks

veknyc, The book by Ed Faron is one of the best books ever written about the APBT. The book is divided into two sections. Yes the first section has some accounts of fights in it. However, it also has stories about famous dogs and bloodlines of APBT. It also has a second section that deals with everyday care, breeding, whelping, medications, and proper yard maintenance. So next time instead of giving one part of the book and bashing Ed Faron, give all the facts of the book.
5/14/07 10:04 AM
JKaz

I'm not a fan of dog fighting...........
5/14/07 10:59 AM
WC17

its for lowlifes.
5/14/07 11:11 AM
mada

I really enjoyed Sam Sheridan's book "A Fighter's Heart", but the chapter on dog fighting really bothered me. I just can't see how anyone thinks it is ok to fight animals. It's not comparable to humans fighting and if you think it is then you truly don't enjoy mma as a sport.
5/14/07 11:28 AM
Leonardo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never seen or heard of dog fighting in Brazil. I'm not saying that there isn't, but its not common, it's like cock fighting here i guess, you know exists but its just ignorant people that care for it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.